confused by what Travel Agent said....

How do you get a price drop before final payment if your not booked early saver?*

My TA told me last year I couldn't do that. So I said I wanted to cancel cruise and rebook same cruise on different day. She said carnival might come back and charge me what first cruise was going to be since I booked same itinerary.*

Did TA make that up?

I was booked instant saver I think.*

I'm trying to decide whether to book again with her or not.

As of right now early saver is cheapest rate.

How do you get a price drop before final payment if your not booked early saver?*

My TA told me last year I couldn't do that. So I said I wanted to cancel cruise and rebook same cruise on different day. She said carnival might come back and charge me what first cruise was going to be since I booked same itinerary.*

Did TA make that up?

I think your TA is wrong you can make a price drop claim if your not booked under Early Saver before final payment. I am confused on what she said too. I think she is talking about after you make final payment price drops??

Had to edit what I wrote below. I just noticed that you think you booked Instant Saver. If so, there are no refunds for that cruise fare anytime after booking. I don't know what Instant Saver is or what the rules are on it. I have never seen it offered before. But I did find that to be the cancellation policy on it. So if that is what you are booked as, you may be stuck. But as a nonrefundable thing, I wouldn't think Instant Saver would be offered until pretty close to sailing.

2nd edit: I found that Instant Saver is the one that is offered close to sailing, aka "Pack and Go". Super Saver is offered 3-5 months prior or further out. However, it has a nonrefundable deposit & the rate is set in stone. So no price reductions & if you cancel & rebook, you lose the entire original deposit and have to put down a new deposit, even if it is before the final payment date. With both Instant Saver & Super Saver, you do not pick the room. Carnival picks it for you. So if Carnival has assigned your room or you are still waiting on your room assignment, you probably have Super Saver.

If you are not Instant/Super Saver but something like Fun Select, Past Guest, or one of the special sale rates:

Either the TA is confused or they just simply don't want you to get a price drop (it might cut into their commission). You can get price drops before final payment. If you are not Early Saver, a phone call is all it takes. The TA would have to do this though. Once you are switched to Early Saver, you can get price drops even passed final payment (OBC given after final payment). Some people have reported getting it done without use of the online ES form, but I think the form usually has to be used. Either way, the TA would have to do that as well. If the TA won't budge on this, cancel the cruise, dump the TA, and rebook it on your own at the current lower price.

Edited by k2excursion

Did TA make that up?

As long as you are before final and did not book early saver, you can cancel penalty free, get price drops, as well as change ships, dates, etc.

If you are before final you did not book instant saver. That is a booking made beyond the final payment date. It's a guarantee where you cannot make any changes and no price drops.

If your TA is saying something else you need to educate them

Edited by SeaUs

I am not in favor of booking with a travel agency as I have found that even the cruise specialty one in my area has agents that really don't know a lot about them other than what is in the brochures. You can try calling Carnival and tell them you would like to verify something that your travel agent told you, have them get the TA on the phone on a 3-way call just so you know for certain what the restrictions are on your fare rate. I always book directly with the cruise line and I make sure I read all the information on that fare and verify with one of their reps on the phone before I book it.

I am not in favor of booking with a travel agency as I have found that even the cruise specialty one in my area has agents that really don't know a lot about them other than what is in the brochures. You can try calling Carnival and tell them you would like to verify something that your travel agent told you, have them get the TA on the phone on a 3-way call just so you know for certain what the restrictions are on your fare rate. I always book directly with the cruise line and I make sure I read all the information on that fare and verify with one of their reps on the phone before I book it.

Yep!!

Why dump the TA? Read post #3. The TA might be right.

Yes tge TA might be right, but if they are confusing the customer then that's a problem. Especially if you can't figure it out on your own. I almost always book with a TA so I'm not knocking them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It sounds like your TA did not want to put in for the price drop and lose a little of the commission.

You can get a price drop before final payment just by telling Carnival you want it or if using a TA having them just rebook the cruise and get you the price drop.

So far my TA has done this twice for me with no problems.

After final payment you could only get price drops if you had booked Early Saver.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Last year I booked in February for a June cruise with a reduced deposit.

In March the June cruise went on sale so I asked ta to get me price adjustment. She said I could not get a price adjustment since I wasn't early saver. I then cancelled the June cruise and booked same boat just different date in July.

TA said carnival might come back and charge me the June price since I booked same boat for July.

Was that true? Or was she just not wanting to lose commission?

I was before final payment so not sure why I didn't get a price adjustment or offer up upgrade???

Thanks!

If your final deposit is not due, you can get a refund. There is no way that Carnival will not give you the current rate on a new booking.

It may take a few weeks to get your deposit back. If cash flow is not a problem, good cabin locations are still available, and the price deference is worth it: I would cancel your current and re-book with another TA. I would shop the big travel agencies (travel..ty, exped...ia) and see what kind of onboard credit they are currently offering.

If your final deposit is not due, you can get a refund. There is no way that Carnival will not give you the current rate on a new booking.

It may take a few weeks to get your deposit back. If cash flow is not a problem, good cabin locations are still available, and the price deference is worth it: I would cancel your current and re-book with another TA. I would shop the big travel agencies (travel..ty, exped...ia) and see what kind of onboard credit they are currently offering.

Your mistaken on both accounts, certain fare codes do not allow for a refund, and some do not qualify for a price drop.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Last year I booked in February for a June cruise with a reduced deposit.

In March the June cruise went on sale so I asked ta to get me price adjustment. She said I could not get a price adjustment since I wasn't early saver. I then cancelled the June cruise and booked same boat just different date in July.

TA said carnival might come back and charge me the June price since I booked same boat for July.

Was that true? Or was she just not wanting to lose commission?

I was before final payment so not sure why I didn't get a price adjustment or offer up upgrade???

Thanks!

she was wrong. I wouldnt go back to her. It was before your final payment date. the only thing is you might have had to pay the full deposit to get the new rate.

she was wrong. I wouldnt go back to her. It was before your final payment date. the only thing is you might have had to pay the full deposit to get the new rate.

How do you know she was wrong without knowing how it was booked ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

You absolutely have to know what kind of fare you booked, to know if you can make changes without penalty. It is entirely possible that the TA was right, also possible she was wrong. Carnival has so many different types of fares, all with different rules and restrictions. Some with non-refundable deposits, some with no changes at all allowed, some allow price drops for a limited time, some allow them for a longer time. Sometimes the price drop lowers your fare, sometimes you get a cabin credit. You have to read every word of the fare description for your exact type of fare. And beware, many of the fares have very similar sounding names. (Early saver vs Easy saver, etc.) Add to that some are only open to new bookings, meaning you didn't book this cruise before, then cancel it.

Without you being absolutely sure of the fare type you booked, and certain of the fare you later found available, and provide the dates of the booking and of the cruise departure, any answers here can only be speculation.

Edited by Gayle V

How do you know she was wrong without knowing how it was booked ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

I believe since she said it was a reduced deposit, that was the type of sale she recieved. I dont think they combine early saver and reduced deposit (But I could be wrong on this).

the type of bookings that do not allow you to get a lower price are the ones that are usually past the final payment date to start off with.

I would like to hear what type of beooking she got specifically but if it was the reduced deposit sale as she hinted toward, she is allowed to get a lower price.

If it's an early saver reservation the deposit is NON refundable

If it's an early saver reservation the deposit is NON refundable

Not knowing all the details, I could be wrong. I don't think I read that the TA said it was non-refundable. I believe the problem was stated that they could not get the price drop. Finding out if the fare is refundable should be easy. They could start the cancellation process on the Carnival web site and it will show the penalty (or call the TA and ask the cancellation question).

I would be very surprised (assuming they could cancel without loss of deposit) if somehow Carnival would try to hold them to the original price when booked through another TA or booked directly through Carnival. How would they do it? You need to OK charges to your credit card.

Edited by bflohr
typo