Our plane arrives in SF at 12:30 PM and

Grammyluvs

we have Princess shuttle to Pier 35 to board the Grand Princess. My question is will we have time to board, leave our carry-ons, get off the ship and walk to Trader Joe’s (.8 mile RT) to purchase wine? Has anyone ever done this? Is there a closer place to purchase wine? How close is Pier 35 to the ferry terminal? I know there are numerous places inside the ferry terminals to purchase wine.

That would be one of the closest places to buy wine. There is a Safeway across the street from TJ's (closer to ship) that sells wine as well. It is an easy walk, not hilly, but timing would be the thing.

Count on at least an hour to get from airport to ship. Then count your time for distance and when the ship leaves.

Good luck! I love San Francisco! I will be back there in a couple days for the weekend before heading home to the polar vortex of Ohio! That area is one of my favorite stomping grounds!

Hi, the ferry building is a 30 minute walk approx from pier 35. I think I would try this, take the princess shuttle to the pier, drop your bags at the porter and then grab a cab and go to Safeway or Trader Joes. Let the cab take the stress out of getting back and forth. They will of course wait while you run into the store. Question, you are not planning to pay a potential 15 dollar corkage for Traders 2 buk chuk are you? :eek: :DHave a great cruise!

Edited by MTJSR

Our sail time is 4. I like the idea of the taxi. I was going to Trader Joe’s for wine but that was before I knew about the Safeway. Might fine my favorite there better. I asked on the FB Princess site about bringing wine on board in Hawaii ports. They said they confiscate it. Bummer

Edited by Grammyluvs

Our sail time is 4. I like the idea of the taxi. I was going to Trader Joe’s for wine but that was before I knew about the Safeway. Might fine my favorite there better. I asked on the FB Princess site about bringing wine on board in Hawaii ports. They said they confiscate it. Bummer

What wine might you be looking for? TJ's has quite a good selection - and it will surely be less than Safeway. Lots of really good California specials, and even some they've had on board the Grand, but at much reduced prices. :-)

Your schedule is a little tight, tho. You'll have to add time to round up your luggage, unless Princess collects it for you. Never used their airport transfers so don't know about that.

The Princess transfer will get you to the ship on time, but you do not know how long it will be from boarding the bus until it actually leaves the airport. If could be immediately or it could be significantly longer.

You may end up with little if any time to leave the ship and get your wine.

You probably will not have any time to get wine with a schedule that tight. We were on the Island in September departing from SF (our favorite city) and they charged us for our extra wine we were carrying. We had arrived in SF 5 days prior so had time to visit Sonoma one day.

If you have never sailed out of SF, all the pax will be on the top deck when the ship goes under the Golden Gate Bridge with cameras in hand. Don't miss it!

If you are going to use the Princess shuttle and not knowing how long you'll wait for it too fill up. Might want to buy wine at the airport. The markup can't be anymore than the fare on a waiting taxi.

we have Princess shuttle to Pier 35 to board the Grand Princess. My question is will we have time to board, leave our carry-ons, get off the ship and walk to Trader Joe’s (.8 mile RT) to purchase wine? Has anyone ever done this? Is there a closer place to purchase wine? How close is Pier 35 to the ferry terminal? I know there are numerous places inside the ferry terminals to purchase wine.

There's a wine shop at Pier 39 as well.

http://www.pier39.com/home/shop/giftscollectibles/wines-of-california/

Well, I can put all of your minds to rest. We won’t risk missing the ship for wine. Just wanted to buy some wine for the balcony. Might try the airport or Pier 39, if we have time. It is not a make or break deal. Just curious. Thanks for the tips.

There is a wine store on pier 39. Likely to be more expensive than TJs or Safeway.

SFO is a prime candidate for delayed flights and as said after getting baggage and waiting for the Princess shuttle, you could be cutting your time very close.

Given SFO's on time track record, I would be more concerned with getting to the ship with all your belongings. Also, traffic on the Embarcadero on a ship day can be awful. Its not worth saving $20 on Trader Joes wine to stress and potentially miss the ship

Well, I can put all of your minds to rest. We won’t risk missing the ship for wine. Just wanted to buy some wine for the balcony. Might try the airport or Pier 39, if we have time. It is not a make or break deal. Just curious. Thanks for the tips.

I swear some people can be so so rude. Buy your wine and enjoy every drop of it on your balcony. In fact...buy a BOX(:

I swear some people can be so so rude. Buy your wine and enjoy every drop of it on your balcony. In fact...buy a BOX(:

Not so much rude to point out you need to be on board 90 minutes before sail away! OP's time lies are tight and people are simply showing concern!