Can you walk along 17th ST in FLL?

mb1007

Can anyone tell me if there is a sidewalk along 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale? The map makes it look like it is a highway. We are hoping to walk from the Hilton Marina to Kelly's Landing Restaurant (.5 miles by car).

I'm not sure what you mean by a highway. It's a wide road but it has traffic lights and crosswalks. There are retail/office centers and restaurants and hotels lining both sides, as well as sidewalks.

royalcruz, some maps make it look like a freeway. I know that was my first perception of 17th as well, when I was researching it.

I can personally vouch for the existence of sidewalks, including the bridge over the intracostal.

As others have stated, there are definitely sidewalks.

Walking from the Hilton Marina will be fine.

This past December we actually walked back from the beach back to the Embassy Suites--a good hike, but in good weather, not bad at all.

royalcruz, some maps make it look like a freeway. I know that was my first perception of 17th as well, when I was researching it.

Well, it is a state road (A1A route) and would meet the definition of highway by some definitions technically, but it's not a freeway. Federal Highway, which is down the street from Harbor Shops, is not a freeway either; it's just a wide and busy road also with sidewalks, traffic lights, and crosswalks. I-95 and I-595 are the only freeways in Fort Lauderdale and you cannot walk on those. You can walk everywhere else...even bridges and tunnels have sidewalks.

Edited by royalcruz

This past December we actually walked back from the beach back to the Embassy Suites--a good hike, but in good weather, not bad at all.

I was wondering about that. How long of a walk is it from the Embassy to the beach.

FLL is my favorite cruise port and love staying at Embassy Suites. We usually walk from there to Bravos once or twice each time we stay in FLL. Best garlic rolls ever! Anyhow the only tricky part is getting across the very busy streets. Make sure you cross on a corner with a light and use the crosswalk but go very quickly when it shows that you can cross as it turns quickly.

There's also a trolley you can catch that will take you all around the area. We usually catch it at Publix and take it over the bridge to the beach area :) 5soccer9 it's a fairly long long walk! It's doable but you are crossing the drawbridge which may be up for a period of time depending on your timing. I'd definitely take the trolley which only costs 25-50 cents each ( can't recall exact price right now but it's cheap and air conditioned!

Edited by UpstateCruizer

There's also a trolley you can catch that will take you all around the area. We usually catch it at Publix and take it over the bridge to the beach area :) 5soccer9 it's a fairly long long walk! It's doable but you are crossing the drawbridge which may be up for a period of time depending on your timing. I'd definitely take the trolley which only costs 25-50 cents each ( can't recall exact price right now but it's cheap and air conditioned!

Check out http://www.suntrolley.com.

I was wondering about that. How long of a walk is it from the Embassy to the beach.

Takes me about 25 mins.

It's a rather boring walk once you've done the bridge tho', so I usually keep a look out for a sun trolley these days then I get to the beach quicker and can walk along and people watch, much more fun.

What is the distance?

Edited: Jumped the gun. Saw the previous answer!

Edited by BobbyD

We were meandering back to the hotel so it took us longer than it normally would.

We had gone down to watch the ships leaving-- what an awesome site to be at the channel to see them up close on their way out to sea.

Sent From My IPhone

Can anyone tell me if there is a sidewalk along 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale? The map makes it look like it is a highway. We are hoping to walk from the Hilton Marina to Kelly's Landing Restaurant (.5 miles by car).

The best way to get a feel for a road is to check it out on Google street view. A very under-utilized tool on CC it seems, as a lot of questions regarding locations and surrounding areas could be answered, at least in part, by using this.

The best way to get a feel for a road is to check it out on Google street view. A very under-utilized tool on CC it seems, as a lot of questions regarding locations and surrounding areas could be answered, at least in part, by using this.

You are absolutely right. But it is soooo much easier to just have someone else do it for me...:D;)