TA question

Xmansmom

So normally I book everything myself. However, DH is talking about taking me on a European cruise next year for our anniversary. I've never travel to Europe. So I'm thinking of using a TA so I can get them to book both the cruise and our airfare. My question is for folks that use a TA. What are some of the perks of booking with a TA? Do TAs actually get you better deals?

Most TA's charge a fee to book airfare anymore, as it's non-commissionable.

Seriously, you can do this yourself. The only reason I can think of to use a TA is if one is offering a good OBC for booking with them. Even then, I would still handle the airfare in my own.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Getting airfare to Europe is no different from getting airfare to Miami.

You don't need a TA, you have Cruise Critic :D

1. Pick your cruise, take note of what port it departs(i.e. Civitavecchia)

2. Find airfare to an airport close to where your ship departs(i.e.: Rome)

3. book

4. pack

5. enjoy

Shuttles, busses, taxis and trains are very simple to use in Europe.

You can find hotels in the same manner as in the US

If you're unsure of something you can get advice and reviews of actual travelers here on cc or at Tripadvisor. No TA can give you that.

We use a local TA.

She booked our air and cruise. She monitored the airlines and got us a good deal on airfare.

She got us a better rate at a hotel in Rome than was quoted when I e-mailed them.

She gave us a book on Italy so we could do some research on our own.

She sends a bottle of wine to our cabin.

She gets us OBC.

I guess I could have done some of the arrangements myself, but she looks out for us.

In 2009, I did a TA San Diego to Rome. I was traveling with a friend who wanted to stay three days in Rome after the cruise. My TA got us a hotel for three nights in a more central location than the HAL package, and three tours, transfers to hotel and to airport...For $750 pp less than the HAL package. In 2012, my sister and I sailed Nieuw Amsterdam from Venice, with two nights pre-cruise in Venice. she used the same hotel HAL uses, for less (tiniest hotel room we had ever seen), water taxi to hotel from airport and to ship. Post cruise hotel in Barcelona. Last year, we did San Diego to Harwich, two nights in London hotel, transfers to Southampton for 4 day QE cruise, flew to Venice for three nights pre-cruise at Hotel Olimpia, 12 nights on Silhouette. Flight home from Rome. TA booked the cruises, and took care of the travel insurance. I booked all hotels, flights, and transfers. EM

We use a TA because we always get a better price on the cruise. I really prefer to book my own air, hotels and any tours we plan on. But I must admit that it is SOOO much easier just to use the cruise air and sometimes it is cheaper if it is a one way flight.