Flu

comp_hop1

Just wondering if any ships have any people get sick on them, considering that the flu has had a outbreak and now a new strain of the stomach virus is going around. Curious?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you're asking 'Does it happen?' of course it does. If you mean right now are outbreaks reported, on particular Carnival ship(s), I couldn't say.

We had person or people come sick with ?flu?, Noro?, or something else? on the HAL Statendam in 2009. The self-service laundry was closed, the buffet was glassed off with staff from all over the ship recruited to be buffet servers instead, and the hand sanitizer dispensers appeared. Now I think most or all ships have those out all the time as preventative.

To avoid catching yourself, use the sanitizer and wash with soap and water frequently. Don't touch your face or eyes (cough or sneeze into your elbow if necessary). And one I would add because I think it's where I picked up a respiratory bug on my cruise last month: avoid crowded elevators! Maybe elevators in general...

Edited by crystalspin
correcting cruise line

My sister got sick on our last night of our recent 9-day cruise on another cruise line and then it was down hill when she was on her way home. The funny part was that she felt great for those 9-days and never had any indication that she was coming down with a very bad head cold.

There were a few people couching but we noticed that each time they couched they covered their faces with the inside part of their sleeves but not enough to worry that they might have been spreading around germs.

On Dream cruise a couple of weeks ago, dear wife caught a cold and caugh about 4 days into the cruise.

She took antihistamines and cough medicine and precautions against spreading germs in the air but very possible she regifted it to others.

Wash your hands after touching the stair rails as well. Love the tissue holders on the restroom doors so you don't have to touch the door handles. Wish those were standard on all restrooms!

AND get a flu shot. No, it doesn't work every time, but usually if you do get the flu after getting the vaccine, it's not as severe.

Wash your hands after touching the stair rails as well. Love the tissue holders on the restroom doors so you don't have to touch the door handles. Wish those were standard on all restrooms!

...and wash/sanitize after touching the menus and condiments at the table, too! Love watching people sneeze into their hand and then pick up the salt or ketchup....:p

AND get a flu shot. No, it doesn't work every time, but usually if you do get the flu after getting the vaccine, it's not as severe.

We do wash our hands almost to the point where it might be considered Obsessive Compulsive. And I got the Flu Shot and she got the Flu and Pneumonia shots.

Since most viruses/bugs take 3-6 days to incubate, I would say you have a good chance of contracting something without knowing it. On another cruiseline, a dear friend had a lingering case of bronchitis, where all that was left was the cough that someone in the cruise terminal heard...she had to prove that she had seen a doctor and was under medial treatment (ie antibiotics and not TB) before she boarded.

Since most viruses/bugs take 3-6 days to incubate, I would say you have a good chance of contracting something without knowing it. On another cruiseline, a dear friend had a lingering case of bronchitis, where all that was left was the cough that someone in the cruise terminal heard...she had to prove that she had seen a doctor and was under medial treatment (ie antibiotics and not TB) before she boarded.

How does one provide proof at the pier? Unless they accept bottle of pills as proof.

Edited by golfadj

On our B2B in Dec I came down with cold like symtoms on the last day of first cruise. I spend a day and a half in bed, didn't eat for a day and a half. Hubby didn't get sick. Only good thing about being sick on a cruise is your not stuffing your face for a day!!

...and wash/sanitize after touching the menus and condiments at the table, too! Love watching people sneeze into their hand and then pick up the salt or ketchup....:p

Which is why I think this new family style dining room service is a disaster in the making.

This can happen anywhere, but I do understand the concern. Who wants to be sick on a ship, and not enjoying the cruise. I got sick after my cruise.

I returned last month on Dec 14 from a B2B cruise, went to work on Monday, Dec 16 and a co-worker came in (for two days) sick with the flu. On Wed, he finally decided to stay home :mad:. By Friday, me and two others were sick, and I was ill until after Christmas. That sucked because I had to stay home alone for the holiday :(. As bad as I felt, I'm sure glad I didn't get sick like that while on vacation.

I cant imagine anyone honestly answering DR's questions about symptoms knowing you can be denied boarding.

I totally agree. It was actually a fluke that she even had the note on her at all. It was for something else and she inadvertently left it in her wallet. The ship's Dr. said without it, and the date on her RX bottle, he would not have let her board.

This was 15+ years ago, so things may have changed since then.

Edited by Rena921