Diamond Jewelry

puzzums

When I take a land vacation it's a no-brainer to leave expensive jewelry at home as the chances of theft in some locations/countries is just too high. But on a cruise, especially on formal night, I miss my good jewelry. So, I am just wondering how many of you ladies feel it's safe to take your real diamonds on a cruise and how many stick to nice fashion jewelry? I do realize theft can happen on a cruise ship too, after all.

Thanks!

By the way - please don't get the impression I'm an heiress walking around dripping in diamonds, lol - I'm just talking about a couple of rings and some earrings. :D

I feel nice jewelry is meant to be worn. So, I wear it! Everywhere! No, not the diamond tiara, lol, but my rings and necklaces.....sure! We don't venture into "bad" areas, and your ring and earrings will not be ripped from you body! After all, they are insured, right?

There's no point in having nice stuff, if you don't use it. That goes for everything....don't save you "good undies" to be buried in!!

I wear my diamonds and other good jewelry on the ship, and I have several very valuable and unique pieces (no tiara LOL). I don't wear it off the ship, although I do wear my wrist dive computer and it cost almost $1,500. When I have to walk through an iffy area, I hold my arm close to me. Of course, I'm also holding a $2,000+ underwater camera rig at the same time....

DW certainly wears hers on the ship. We go to two or three other formal affairs a year when not cruising and that's about the only other time the stuff gets seen. You have a room safe to lock up the stuff when not in use so please bring it.

On our Asia cruise we really hit it off with a state senator and his wife from Carolina. Did a bunch of pre cruise touring with them and they came across as really down to earth people. We did dinner with them every night. First formal night she had a magnificent diamond tennis bracelet on. Later in the evening I mentioned it to my wife. I said it looked great and had to have cost $15,000 dollars. Wife looks at me like I don't know squat and says "Honey, you're missing a zero"

Jewellery is meant to be enjoyed. Bring yours

I made a conscious decision to bring and wear my nice jewelry, though I can be worried about it. I thought, why do I have it, why does my husband buy me this, if it is always too good/too dangerous to wear? So I am going to wear it and enjoy it, and be sensible about it. In some ports, I don't wear any jewelry at all, because I don't feel safe about it. I even leave off my diamond engagement ring, which I usually wear always. If I don't wear the "good stuff" on a cruise, where am I going to wear it? Some nice pieces have come to me, without me personally being a jewelry hound, and I will just enjoy that I have them and can show how lovely they are.

Whole different story than the ship. DW wears no jewelry at all. I wear a pretty expensive watch. Depending on the port and what activity we are doing it may stay in the safe and I'll wear a much cheaper one I bring for just this reason. No need to draw anymore attention to yourself then necessary.

Last March we were on Dominica (a wonderful island) on a ship-sponsored excursion through Celebrity. We were on a small bus and it was full. The driver was a nice guy, a retired fireman. We were driving through a small village when we were approached in the front of a bus by a young guy, who was attempting to stop the bus. The bus driver jumped up and started screaming at him in Creole. We then realized there was another group of guys approaching the bus from the right. When the driver started screaming at them they retreated. Apparently, the first guy was to stop the bus by walking in front of it to allow the bigger gang of guys to approach us. It seems we were about to be robbed. Thank God the bus driver was proactive and protected us before anything worse happened. Obviously, tour vehicles go through those small villages most days at certain times and bad guys know that. The moral of the story is, I have decided I will leave my jewelry in the safe on the ship when we are in port. We were so lucky.

I take my good jewelry. I wear them onboard and ashore most of the time. I wear it all the time at home too. The only exceptions are on a beach excursion, then I will only wear my wedding band (it's a 5 stone diamond) and not my engagement ring, diamond studs, tennis bracelet or pendant. Otherwise, I travel with my diamonds, blue diamonds, tanzanites, etc. I have them to wear, not lock up. That's what insurance is for.

The last time I added up in my head how much I was wearing on a regular basis, I decided to quit thinking about it.

I wear my good rings on the ship - but not on shore. I'm not just concerned about theft, but also about losing them in the surf.

I don't take my good earrings or necklaces. It's CZ on the ship for me. Just not worth it for me ... But then we go out a lot at home so things do get worn.

Thanks everyone, you have convinced me to bring the good stuff on all cruises from now on.

For the record, I do wear my diamond jewelry absolutely everywhere I go at home, so it's not like it never gets worn, lol.

I always think ¨what's the point of having nice things ,just to keep them in the safe or cupboard¨ Make use of everything you have (that silver tea service) , don´t keep items for best (the china and crystal) and wear your good jewellery and enjoy it...you´re a long time dead and no one will appreciate your fine items as much as you do

Sandy in Spain

if I happened to lose my wedding rings, so I leave them at home and opt for nice looking cheap jewelry that way if I drop it in the ocean or someone steals it out of my safe or what ever I am not losing much but the is my own preference, I suffer from wcs (worst case scenario)

so that helps calm my nerves worrying about what if I lost my good rings

That's a personal decision every woman has to make for herself based on her comfort level. I have some very expensive jewellery pieces that my DH has given me over the years and I wear them almost everywhere. Although on a recent land trip to Spain, I chose to leave them all at home and opted for my grandmother's plan gold wedding band. You should do what you feel comfortable with.

I always think ¨what's the point of having nice things ,just to keep them in the safe or cupboard¨ Make use of everything you have (that silver tea service) , don´t keep items for best (the china and crystal) and wear your good jewellery and enjoy it...you´re a long time dead and no one will appreciate your fine items as much as you do

Sandy in Spain

Life is short......

Eat Dessert First.

Why have pretty things if we never use them?

Use good sense, take care of them but enjoy them.

I'm mostly concerned about traveling to and from the ship. We have to change planes at least once and sometimes twice. Of course, I wear my rings, but don't know whether to wear everything else or carry it in my purse which has the potential of getting lost or stolen in the airport.

Life is short......

Eat Dessert First.

Why have pretty things if we never use them?

Use good sense, take care of them but enjoy them.

I so agree with you and the other posters who have said what's the point of having something if you don't wear it? I take my "good" stuff, but don't wear it in port. I never wear or carry anything in port that someone might want to "take".

Sherri:)