Sailing In To NYC & Flying Out of Newark on Super Bowl Sunday

Admin

actually the lincoln tunnel (and holland tunnel as well) toll is only paid coming into new york city from new jersey. there is no toll going into new jersey. the only toll you will have will be the NJ Turnpike

Car services (and taxis) based in NY City normally charge for the the return tolls, so there will be a charge for the tunnel(s), as well as a charge for travel in both directions on the NJ Turnpike between the tunnel(s) and the airport. The NY City taxi fare rules specifically permit taxis to charge return tolls (for obvious reasons...a NY City taxi can't pick up passengers in NJ and must return to the city). Car services charge for the round trip tolls as a business practice because there's no automatic assumption that the car will be making a return trip from the airport to the city with a fare-paying passenger.

The good news is that with EZ Pass, the tolls are "only" $9 during off peak hours and $11 at peak hours, rather than the $13 cash toll.

Edited by njhorseman

People are renting their houses out for $5000-6000 and up PER NIGHT. One guy was on the news the other night who had rented his house out to a foreign TV crew. He said he would make enough in that week to pay for almost 18 months of house payments and his wasn't one of the mansions in North NJ or the fancy condos in Hoboken. His was just a "regular type" 4 bedroom house in Carlstadt (which is really close to the stadium)

And this from a Wall Street Journal article about people renting their houses out: "Even the North Bergen Lincoln Tunnel Holiday Inn Express is charging five-star prices: $3,556.80 for a double occupancy room for the weekend—and they are going fast." How many cruisers have asked about staying at that Holiday Inn and on this forum, it has always been discouraged. I am ROFLMAO

And me with my "got it on points just a few weeks ago" hotel room in Queens for Saturday night of the Superbowl and now I don't even need it.

I doubt the Holiday Inn Express is getting that price. Hell, even the Parker Meridien is under $600/night (yes, it's further away, but you can get a helluva limo for that money!)

Car services (and taxis) based in NY City normally charge for the the return tolls, so there will be a charge for the tunnel(s), as well as a charge for travel in both directions on the NJ Turnpike between the tunnel(s) and the airport. The NY City taxi fare rules specifically permit taxis to charge return tolls (for obvious reasons...a NY City taxi can't pick up passengers in NJ and must return to the city). Car services charge for the round trip tolls as a business practice because there's no automatic assumption that the car will be making a return trip from the airport to the city with a fare-paying passenger.

The good news is that with EZ Pass, the tolls are "only" $9 during off peak hours and $11 at peak hours, rather than the $13 cash toll.

oh, i did not know that. i knew about the turnpike though

And me with my "got it on points just a few weeks ago" hotel room in Queens for Saturday night of the Superbowl and now I don't even need it.

If you can't get your points back, I sure would be putting it on Craigslist, Ebay or one of the MANY rental agencies that are providing contact points for people renting houses, apts, etc for the SuperBowl. IF it is a Pats/Broncos SuperBowl (both cold weather teams with HUGE fan bases and a very short trip from anyplace in NE to Meadowlands hotel/sleeping space will be at a super premium. Here are just a few I found when I was looking for places to stay because one of our larger customers has offered a couple of tickets and I was going to give them to my drivers in a lottery type deal. But I really didn't want them sleeping in their trucks for three/four days so started looking for a place for them to sleep. Here are some of the places I was looking for lodging without being too far away from the stadium and worrying about how to get there. WAY beyond my price range. So which ever ones of my drivers get to go to the game will be staying at the truck stop in Jersey City or the Holland Motor Lodge and I will pay for taxi to the train and the train. And that will cost me as much as the Sheraton on a "normal" night. http://www.eventhomes.com/, vrbo.com, Airbnb, http://super-bowl-rentalz.com/

I doubt the Holiday Inn Express is getting that price. Hell, even the Parker Meridien is under $600/night (yes, it's further away, but you can get a helluva limo for that money!)

Did you try to get all the way through a booking or did you just look at a price? I KNOW the Sheraton at Meadowlands has a 4 night minimum and is $695 per night and completely sold out. It has been said just the NFL has booked 15-20,000 hotel rooms for players, families, sponsors, executives, staff, vendors, etc. etc. 4000 of those hotel rooms booked are supposed to be in NJ.

In 2008, when the SuperBowl was in Phoenix, the Hampton Inn (usually about $100-125 per night) which is pretty close to the stadium was sold out in November before anyone had any idea who was even going to play. They sold the 2 bed rooms for $3900 for 4 nights. When Nascar is in Phoenix in November, the rooms at the Hampton Inn START at $900 per night and go up from there. There is usually a minimum stay.

I checked the specifics because I have a broadway show on Sun. Jan 26th, thank goodness this doesn't start then but it does start on Wednesday Jan 29th all the way through to Sun Feb 2. Evidently, Broadway will be closed to traffic beginning at 34th Street. Ugh. That is going to make things very messy in Manhattan. http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/super-bowl-boulevard/index.aspx#.UtSHCXm29UM

I checked the specifics because I have a broadway show on Sun. Jan 26th, thank goodness this doesn't start then but it does start on Wednesday Jan 29th all the way through to Sun Feb 2. Evidently, Broadway will be closed to traffic beginning at 34th Street. Ugh. That is going to make things very messy in Manhattan. http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/super-bowl-boulevard/index.aspx#.UtSHCXm29UM

You are so right. All kinds of interactive things plus NFL players signing autographs, etc. Crowds will be huge in the area.

• 1 month later...

hey op...how did it go?

Im in a similar situation - the day we port in there is a half marathon in NYC.

Did you take the car service - if so which one? There are a few listed on yelp, so confused as which to use....

Did you have to go to a plan B or were you at the airport and sipping coffee and relaxing waiting to board your plane?

hey op...how did it go?

Im in a similar situation - the day we port in there is a half marathon in NYC.

Did you take the car service - if so which one? There are a few listed on yelp, so confused as which to use....

Did you have to go to a plan B or were you at the airport and sipping coffee and relaxing waiting to board your plane?

Hi! It was too easy. I debarked with no lines at 8:30 AM. Walked across the street from Pier 90 to the taxi stand and immediately got a cab to Penn Station. Got to Penn and was waiting for the 9:07 AM train to EWR. There were people but not massive crowds or anything. Made it to EWR with 2 hours to spare. :D

You should have no concerns. You are going west from the west side, no traffic, should be 30 minutes tops.

The NYC Half Marathon is raced solely in Manhattan, and in fact does affect traffic on the west side as it goes across 42nd St, and south on the West Side Highway. Here's a link to their web page and course route map:

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2014/nyc-half

file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/NYC_HalfMarathon_2014_3_0%20(1).pdf

Edited by njhorseman