Barcelona hotels

grandgeezer

We are doing a Med. cruise this fall on the Equinox. We would like to go a few days early and check out Barcelona. Any suggestions on reasonbly priced, centrally located hotels?? I would like to keep the price down to about $125 per day or less. I checked out the roll call for this cruise and there are a couple of suggestions but priced much higher than my budget.

That is going to be tough on your budget. . .we rented a studio apartment for about that much last time we were there, but hotels in general are pretty pricey. There is one on Las Ramblas that seems to be the most budgety--Continental Palacete? Someone will chime in. It is mostly pink décor and decorated with plastic lawn chairs from the pictures but cruisers swear by it.

Also check priceline and hotwire. You will probably want to be in the Las Ramblas/Gothic Barrio vicinity; Barceloneta is just a tad further out and more beachy, also a good option.

My suggestion is to check Trip Advisor for apartments on Las Ramblas. They have some that are newly renovated. The primary location you want is somewhere near Las Ramblas, as that is the easiest location to get to all the paces you'll want to see. We stayed in a B&B for several nights in November on Passeig de Colom that was a good location too. Opposite port, short wallk from Las Ramblas and not that far from Barri Gotic. No restaurants directly near there and the buildings in that area are old. It can be done on your budget for both the apartment and hotel.

Priceline sometimes has Instant deals that are reasonable but you don't know the hotel until you have bought it. There are Priceline/Trip Advisosr forums for Barcelona which will tell you what you are likely to get. I would not stay in Barceloneta as it is not close to the hub or the action!

Barcelona is a city not to be missed. So many things to do we could have stayed 2 weeks! Enjoy

Edited by d4m

Try Hotel Continental or their sister hotel Continental Palace. Have stayed at the Hotel Continental 5 or 6 times. Reasonable price, great location at the top of the Rambla very close to train, metro and Hop On Hop Off Bus. I highly recommend taking the HOHO if this is your first trip to Barcelona.

If Continental is full try hotel Jazz, nearby although not on the Rambla but about 2 blocks away.

There is one on Las Ramblas that seems to be the most budgety--Continental Palacete? Someone will chime in. It is mostly pink décor and decorated with plastic lawn chairs from the pictures but cruisers swear by it.

We stay at the Continental on Las Ramblas every time we go to Barcelona. The Continental Palacete is a "sister" hotel located a few blocks away and is marginally nicer, but more expensive and, to us, not as convenient to the "action." because it is not on Las Ramblas.

Your description of the rooms is accurate--I love the Tupperware chest of drawers (lol). The bathrooms are nice, though, Bring your own wash rag as most European hotels do not provide them and this one is not an exception.

Both the Continental and Placente are clean and have some nice perks. Like free food (a small 24-hour buffet) and drink (including beer and wine), free computer. A nice patio to sit on at the Continental or a small lounge inside. A very nice inside lounge at the Placente. The cheap rooms gave me the opinion they were "inside" but we have always had natural light from somewhere be it a 5x5' "patio" off our room open to the sky or a "french" balcony. Other advantages for the Continental it is a block from Plaza Cataluyna (spelling a guess) which has a HOHO bus stop. Another block to a large department store that has a full supermarket to buy last minute things. The autobus (6 euro) goes from the airport to the Plaza. It is equipped like an airport shuttle bus and makes only two stops before reaching the Plaza. Just keep an eye on your luggage as Barcelona is a haven for pick-pockets and luggage snatchers. Fortunately, they are not into mugging (lol).

You will meet a lot of cruisers at the Continental either on your ship or another one going out at the same time or one that has just returned. Rates run around 100 euros depending on the type of room you get.

Tucker in Texas

Edited by Tucker in Texas

We are doing a Med. cruise this fall on the Equinox. We would like to go a few days early and check out Barcelona. Any suggestions on reasonbly priced, centrally located hotels?? I would like to keep the price down to about $125 per day or less. I checked out the roll call for this cruise and there are a couple of suggestions but priced much higher than my budget.

Try Expedia. I got a good renovated hotel for $75 per day for 2. And it was 5 metro stops from Ramblas. It was in a very nice neighborhood and 3 minutes walk to the Metro Station. Acta Hotels. If you sigh up the day before for breakfast it will cost you 6euros and well worth the money.

Hotel Continental on Ramblas has always seemed to be a favorite amoung Cruise Critic members for an inexpensive hotel in the city center. It is very basic but clean and they include a breakfast/snack buffet. Just be patient with the small elevator and note that I said small elevator and not "elevators".

I'd also look at the HCC hotels including the HCC Montblanc. Barcelona has a ton of small hotels in the city center. Just be sure to find it on a map before booking and make sure it is within walking distance to the Placa Catalunya or Gothic Quarter if you want to be close to the central area. You don't want to have to take a cab to get to these areas.

Edited by Lsimon

My wife and I spent 2 nights in Hotel Curious. We, too, were looking for something reasonably priced, well located and found it to "fit the bill". We were very happy with all aspects of this hotel. Clean, well located - just a block or so off Las Ramblas and you can walk to the Aerobus, staff was very welcoming and helpful with suggestions on touring and restaurants, breakfast was satisfactory as well.

We stayed at the Hotel continental this past September and it was not pleasant. Our room was not that clean, the bathroom was a flood zone and the food on the buffet was not changed during the 36 hours we were there. It was gross. On the plus side, the location is marvelous and the on tap beer and wine was fine. We had a basic room so maybe a slightly upgraded room would be better.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz this past August. We arrived around 10:30am and were able to go ahead and check in( which I realize may not always be the case if they were full the night before). They gave us a complimentary upgrade to a corner Jr. suite. The hotel itself as well as our room was very clean. Our room was very spacious, nicely laid out and furnished. I think we paid around 125 euros for the one night. We did book early and I noticed that the prices did go up closer to our date of stay. It was in a great location.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We, too, stayed at the Hotel Continental of our most recent cruise. I totally agree with the above poster about the buffet but we always found something to nibble on as we were more anxious to try the various restaurants for our big meals.

One suggestion I make is to definitely ask for a larger room than 258. It had a full size bed with only enough room on one side for a large suitcase standing on end and only a little more room at the foot of the bed. The other side had the Wal-Mart plastic dresser, a foot stool and a small chair right by the door with enough room to stand between them and the bed.

As other rooms were being made up for the day we saw that they were all a lot bigger than ours. Oh, ours also had a nice view of the courtyard. Really, not kidding.

We stayed at the Regencia Colon the first time we stayed in Barcelona and I really liked it as it was across the street from the Cathedral although it was further from the action.

I don't think we'd hesitate to stay at the Continental again but only if we can get a larger room.

We absolutely love Barcelona and definitely could stay there two weeks.

If budget is a real issue, another option we do is stay at an airport hotel.

It is easy to get back and forth to the center of Barcelona by the airport bus.

We have done it a few years back, stayed at a Marriott at that time, which has changed hands. We are doing the same this coming April after a TA cruise from Florida to Barcelona. We arrive on Easter Sunday, hotel prices are high, so we booked a Tryp hotel at the airport, part of the Wyndam hotels network. Have a rate in euros which figures out to $120.00 a day including breakfast. It is a business hotel... more than adequate -- gives us a base to go out and enjoy Barcelona. Plus makes it easy to get to the airport early on our departure day.

We have stayed in Barcelona about 4 times over the past 10 years, each time we have stayed in a different location. Sometimes we have shopped around, found a new western hotel with great rates and went with it. We have stayed at both the Hilton in the business section and the Hilton on the Mediterranean connected to the conference center, the Hotel Arts which is a 5 star hotel, and the Airport Marriott.

Barcelona is a great city, always look forward to visiting it. It is easy to get around, taxis are reasonable. Great walking city too.

• 3 months later...

There is a forum for Barcelona that is helpful besides your roll call. Also check hotel reviews on trip advisor to get an idea of what is out there.

I had a similar budget and stayed in the gothic quarter at Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona. Less then 100 Euro when I went and we upgraded to the triple room as I had my kids as well. I loved our gigantic bathroom and they have elevators. No breakfast but you can get it nearby cheaply. They also had free bottled water. I would stay there again.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by bearette

We are also going to be in Barcelona this fall, and made a reservation at the Regencia Colon, I think we are paying about $140.00 a night. We stayed here many years ago and remember that we really liked the location, right off Las Rambas in a very quiet area. We did not pay for the breakfast buffet, the price seemed quite high, especially because there are so many exciting places to eat.

My wife and i have stayed at both the Olivia plaza and hotel Barcelona universal. Both were convenient locations and great hotels and both cost us less than $150 per night.

In fact i want to say the hotel Barcelona universal was less than $100 when we stayed last October.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

How were either of the Hilton's? We are going to use hotel points to save some money (so we can spend more on touring)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

The wife and I stayed at the Barcelona Hilton (the one on Avenue Diagonal not the Barcelona Diagonal connected to the conference center near the beach) and were quite happy with the choice. This was for 2 nights before a TA on the Reflection in 2012.

The hotel is nice, lots of shops and restaurants in easy walking distance (Starbucks almost next door if that is important). The hotel was an easy taxi drive from the airport and to the ship, the metro is very close and there is a hop on/hop off stop really close (tickets were also sold at the front desk). There is a large department store a couple blocks away, right at the metro entrance, with a full market in the basement for water, sodas, etc. I am a Hilton Honors Member (Diamond) so we had access to the Executiove Lounge which was great. Next time we are in Barcelona we will most likely stay at this Hilton.

Chris

The wife and I stayed at the Barcelona Hilton (the one on Avenue Diagonal not the Barcelona Diagonal connected to the conference center near the beach) and were quite happy with the choice. This was for 2 nights before a TA on the Reflection in 2012.

The hotel is nice, lots of shops and restaurants in easy walking distance (Starbucks almost next door if that is important). The hotel was an easy taxi drive from the airport and to the ship, the metro is very close and there is a hop on/hop off stop really close (tickets were also sold at the front desk). There is a large department store a couple blocks away, right at the metro entrance, with a full market in the basement for water, sodas, etc. I am a Hilton Honors Member (Diamond) so we had access to the Executiove Lounge which was great. Next time we are in Barcelona we will most likely stay at this Hilton.

Chris

Thanks! Starbucks and jet lag sound like a great combo to me lol. I'm glad it is close to the metro and hop on off bus too.

Look for hotels close to the busy area around Placa Catalunya for the hop on hop off bus. We had breakfast at Avanida Palace (a hotel).

Stay along Las Ramblas, or a block off Las Ramblas at the Guell Hotel which is across the street from Palau Guell. We stopped there for a quiet break and beer years ago.

Edited by ClairetoCruise

We stayed at The Five Rooms in Barcelona. It is a beautiful guesthouse, with very comfortable beds, in a perfect location, on a quiet street just a block from Placa Catalunya, (on the Barri Gotic side), a block from El Corte Angles (big department store with grocery in basement, if you need anything), and a quick walk to the Barri Gotic or the Passeig de Gracia, for all the high end shop. The Palau Musica da Catalana is 4 minutes away and the Catheral about 5 minutes away.

We paid 125 Euros for a room two years ago. I think it is 135 now (for September?), which is a bit above your budget, but worth it, I think. Breakfast is included. It is very fresh and healthy, with juices, sliced meats, sausages, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruits, toast and pastries. Really good coffee, and tea of course.

There is a Starbucks less than half a block away.

The website is http://www.thefiverooms.com but there are more pictures available if you go to http://www.booking.com. Email directly to info@the5rooms.com for the correct price though. The owner is a lovely young woman named Yessica. She was a treat to deal with, and everyone I have ever sent to the Five Rooms has been very pleased.

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities ever. If you can give yourself three days there before your cruise, you will not be sorry.

There are three routes to the HOHO, depending on the time of year. One of the best HOHO values we have experienced.

The Sagrada Familia is amazing. It has been built entirely from volunteer labour. There is an architechtural museum in the basement, which is worth seeing. Also include a stop at the Parc Guell. So many things to see, so little time.

Good luck with your search, and have a wonderful cruise!

We stayed at hotle 1898 on our TA and booked on line hotels.com got the least expensive room we could get. It was wonderfull. Right on the Rambals. We booked inside no view room, and was given at no extra charge a suite, with huge private pool on the balcony looking over the Rambals. My mom was alos up graded to room with balcony on same floor. I am not sure why they upgraded us both except we booked about a year out. I had found rave reviewes on this Hotel on Trip advisor, and was very happy to give a good review when we got back as well.

we are going on a Med Cruise Oct 14 and a bunch of us on this cruise are staying at HCC Regente this hotel was suggested by a cruiser that stayed there before I booked months ago and was able to get a great rate and the reviews are excellent:o

How were either of the Hilton's? We are going to use hotel points to save some money (so we can spend more on touring)

We have stay at both hiltons, one in the Financial Center is small, basic business hotel. The other one is part of the conference center at east end of the city, along the Mediterranean. It is more delux, easy access to public transportation to other part os the city, major shopping center right across the street. Both, hotel are off the beaten path, so you will need to use taxis or public transportation to visit other areas of the city.

We just returned from Barcelona last week, visited the city center, over the week right after Easter. Crowds were overwhelming, not what we really enjoy.

Barcelona has lots of wonderful neighborhoods... we prefer to visit those that have fewer tourist . But we have visited the city many times even stayed a week or more, so we have done the major sites before and simply like to enjoy the city as it is for locals.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz this past August. We arrived around 10:30am and were able to go ahead and check in( which I realize may not always be the case if they were full the night before). They gave us a complimentary upgrade to a corner Jr. suite. The hotel itself as well as our room was very clean. Our room was very spacious, nicely laid out and furnished. I think we paid around 125 euros for the one night. We did book early and I noticed that the prices did go up closer to our date of stay. It was in a great location.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good to read. We have this hotel booked for later this month. Two nights. We booked the JS. This hotel receives great reviews on Trip Advisor.