5 year old's birthday on embarkation day - cake?

It will be our five year old granddaughter's birthday on the day we embark for a partial Panama.

I wouldn't be concerned if it were any other day as there'd be opportunity to check to ensure the usual balloons and cake.

Is there any number you experts know of that I could call in advance to ensure the usual fuss and ideally a pinkish cake for our party of 16 to share? We have early traditional sitting.

And another granddaughter will turn 11 the day before when they're in transit. Would it be cricket to ask for the same treatment for her? Or is that pushing it?

I can barely remember when birthdays really mattered.

Thanks, experts,

Ruth

Since this is embarkation day, I'm concerned about the time frame needed and since we're on a different deck from the other six family cabins, it would be difficult to contact the room steward. And how quickly could a chef prepare a cake with pink icing or such?

I'd feel better if I either called or Emailed someone in the hope that maybe something would happen.

Ruth

Since this is embarkation day, I'm concerned about the time frame needed and since we're on a different deck from the other six family cabins, it would be difficult to contact the room steward. And how quickly could a chef prepare a cake with pink icing or such?

I'd feel better if I either called or Emailed someone in the hope that maybe something would happen.

Ruth

If it makes you feel better call Ships Services. One of the Dining Room Managers will be more than happy to assist you with a special occasion.

Have done birthday celebrations on board many times, never on embarkation day.

Do you have to celebrate on this day? A 5 year can understand, if you explain you will be celebrating another day.

Another option, is simply buy two cakes in port before you board. Easy to get ballons and cakes and then you have what you need. No problem taking a cake to MDR, for the staff to hold and serve after dinner.

We often buy pastries and bakery items when in port, as we do not think cruise lines do a great job on "cakes". We have had hit and misses on cakes made aboard. One time we were on board HAL for a week, my DH talked to the Matre'd and Head Waiter all week that he wanted a large chocolate cake with chocalate icing, to celebrate my birthday. We got the cake, it looked great, it was so dry and uneatable, it was unbelieveable, think cardboard. We did not have the heart to tell them how bad it was. I am a baker, I think this cake was in the freezer for 6 months. We had about two bites and left the rest of it for the staff to find out on their own.

Hope you enjoy celebrating your granddaughters' birthdays and a great cruise.

Ruth

You are right to be concerned. I think the chances of that would be slim to none upon embark. I agree with the other poster in trying to pick something up in port. You could try ship services but I don't know if they will be able to commit or if they do if it would happen. It would be sad for your grand daughter to be disappointed if it gets missed. Hal's cakes are mediocre at best.

Typhoon 1,

Thanks for the ship services' idea.

Pris 993

I doubt we could track down a decent bakery shop near our hotel, and the fact of the matter is the eight kids in the family like anything sweet and the adults would most likely pass on any dessert.

I'll see what her mum thinks of postponing. Of course her grandmother thinks she's mature enough to handle a delay, but the the usual haul of gifts will be postponed as well.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

Here's another vote for ordering a cake from a bakery in advance of embarkation day and bringing your own cake aboard. A group of 16 requires a specially made cake and the cakes HAL usually provides for special occasions these days are no where near adequate. It will require special planning which is unlikely to happen on embarkation day.

I also agree it's a good idea to bring your own Happy Birthday banner, balloons, streamers or whatever decorations you would like for the birthday girls' cabins.

As to 'cricket' for requesting a cake for the child whose birthday had already passed, they will know her birth date. It is entered on the pre-registration form we complete on line.

HAL has no problem with people bringing food items onto a ship..... you cannot bring food off the ship in most ports.

Typhoon 1,

Thanks for the ship services' idea.

Pris 993

I doubt we could track down a decent bakery shop near our hotel, and the fact of the matter is the eight kids in the family like anything sweet and the adults would most likely pass on any dessert.

I'll see what her mum thinks of postponing. Of course her grandmother thinks she's mature enough to handle a delay, but the the usual haul of gifts will be postponed as well.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

Are you staying in a hotel that has concierge service? They certainly can recommend a bakery. If not, a google search could provide choices.

We're staying at the Springhill Suites Marriott in Fort Lauderdale and the nearby mall doesn't hold much promise.

And this is not the sort of hotel to provide concierge service. Because we had to book four family suites we wanted to keep costs to a basic level.

And I just don't want to complicate our arrival beyond having all four family groups gather for a basic dinner at a family style restaurant.

Could one of the adults in your party take a taxi?

A google search likely will provide choices. You don't need out of this world, the best ever cake from your description. You might even be okay with a sheet cake from a major grocery store.

If this doesn't work for you, understandable.

I'm just trying to make practical suggestions. :)

I'll absolutely vouch for the bakery at Publix. (Haven't been to the one in Ft. L, but they are all the same.) Their cakes are as good as any upscale bakery you'll find anywhere, in fact better than a lot of bakeries we have tried locally here. You could call them before you leave home and tell them exactly what you want and it will be waiting for you to pick up.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Hi Ruth! I don't know if a Publix grocery store is close to your hotel, but they have a very nice selection of cakes. You can see their selection online and pre-order. I happen to know that someone on your roll call is staying at very close to the Publix at Harbor Shops and would be happy to help if you need it.

Rachel

I would think that after 140 years in business Holland America would be able to provide birthday cake on any night you wish and whatever balloons and birthday packages you are willing to pay for. Call ship services at 1-800-541-1576. Confirm the request on board. If HAL cannot handle this simple request, bring along five candles as a backup and stick them in whatever dessert sounds best to the birthday girl.

I vote to call Ship's Services and ask for two "small little cakes" for the birthday kids. The others can order their treat off the menu. I think HAL would be willing to have two little cakes - even cupcakes - for your evening dinner. I do not think candles are allowed, but I'm not certain. I cannot imagine trying to board a ship carrying a cake to serve 16. :eek:

Edited by Linda&Vern

I vote to call Ship's Services and ask for two "small little cakes" for the birthday kids. The others can order their treat off the menu. I think HAL would be willing to have two little cakes - even cupcakes - for your evening dinner. I do not think candles are allowed, but I'm not certain. I cannot imagine trying to board a ship carrying a cake to serve 16. :eek:

I agree. I'm sure HAL can come up with a pretty cupcake with pink icing, and you can stick a candle or sparkler in it.

You can certainly call ships services with your request. But, also check with the dining room manager after you board. Or, let your dining room server know at the start of dinner. I am sure they can bring out some kind of cake. Maybe it won't be big or fancy but it will be fine. I can't imagine trying to bring a cake onboard. But, you could bring decorations for the room.

HAL does not bake special birthday cakes.

They are pre-made and kept in the refrigerator. They serve about 4 - 6 people. No special pink icing or anything like that.

Maybe Ship Services can arrange to have one made for you -- at a price. As to whether they can do it on embarkation day -- that is another matter. Embarkation day is quite hectic.

You can certainly call ships services with your request. But, also check with the dining room manager after you board. Or, let your dining room server know at the start of dinner. I am sure they can bring out some kind of cake. Maybe it won't be big or fancy but it will be fine. I can't imagine trying to bring a cake onboard. But, you could bring decorations for the room.

Seeing they are a group of 16 and there are 8 adults, it should be very manageable for one of the adults to carry a cake box. One of the other adults can carry whatever carryon that person has. With eight adults and a bit of cooperation among them, what's the big deal to carry a cake?:confused:

OP said she is going to pick up birthday decorations at party store. A little pre-planning and this large group can plan their own party, can't they? Some weigh nothing, take up no room balloons, birthday banner, cards and gifts, a birthday cake and the family gathered round on a cruise ship. Sounds like a pretty wonderful birthday for any child. :shrug:

Why would HAL have to be involved in any meaningful way other than to take care of serving the cake at dessert time?

Edited by sail7seas

I checked my reservation. There is a Happy Birthday package under Indulgences. Granted it is more "adult" --- flowers and balloons -- but, I suspect the 5 year old and 11 year old would be very happy to be treated as "big girls" on a cruise. When you call Ship Services, buy the package for each of the girls (pick the dates as appropriate) and ask Ship Services to arrange for a "special dessert" for each of the young ladies. I wouldn't aim for Embarkation Day, but the next one will give you a chance to follow up with the Front Desk and the Dining Room to make certain all goes well.

I have had 2 different birthday experiences on embarkation days.

One was my youngest son's 7th birthday ...it was the day we were embarking on the Carnival Dream. Carnival has balloons and banners available for purchase so I preordered them . Upon arrival the cabim was decorated festively. I also preordered a cake on the Carnival website . We had a group of 19 people . The cake was in the cabin when we arrived as well. It served all of us and it was delcious.

In July of this year , we embarked on the Eurodam on my birthday. I had reserved a table for ten of us at the Tamarind. They had a very nice set up and prepared a cake ( without my knowledge! ) with my name on it

There is a Publix stores 1.3 miles from your hotel at

402 E Dania Beach Blvd

Dania Beach, FL 33004-3040

Phone: (954) 920-4289

They have WONDERFUL CAKES! If you go on their web site publix.com you can see the selections. I'd call them and order a cake. You won't be disappointed! If you explain the circumstances they will most likely pack it with extra care so it will be secure during check in.

Edited by sue1898

Oops , clicked before finishing post. The staff served the delicious and pretty cake and sang Happy Birthday.

My best friend had also arranged to have my room decorated with balloons. Upon arrival , I had the lovely surprise of a very festive room.

Both birthdays were very nice even with the hustle and bustle of embarkation day.