5 year old's birthday on embarkation day - cake?

I have another idea, I am wondering about having a bakery deliver a cake to the ship?

That might be something to ask Guest Services?

Ships sometimes do weddings, would guess the ship does not do the wedding cakes? Don't know... just an idea.

I have another idea, I am wondering about having a bakery deliver a cake to the ship?

That might be something to ask Guest Services?

Ships sometimes do weddings, would guess the ship does not do the wedding cakes? Don't know... just an idea.

It's a good idea but in these days of high security at cruise ships/cruise ports, I seriously doubt a privately arranged guest delivery would be permitted. They used to permit Bon Voyage gift packages be delivered but that was stopped. There are very few florists who are approved for ship deliveries. I know there is one in Boston as I have used them.

THANK YOU ONE and ALL

What an overwhelming abundance of good suggestions. I followed up on the suggestion to call ship services with credit card in hand. They have cakes for sale ($50 to serve 10) for the dining room BUT they only offer generic chocolate or white icing. The man I spoke with advised me to make the order once on board so that the culinary arts' chef tackle the cake with pink. We both assumed these slab cakes were frozen and would just require decorating. That's the route I plan to follow and if need be we'll celebrate graciously a day late.

I made a dash this morning to both the Dollar Store and the Party Store and picked up a few 'tacky' decorations. Her cousins will be in charge of decorations. I have some magnets to help things adhere to the door.

There were many of you recommending Publix cakes. That will be our 'late celebration' for the ten year old as a bedtime treat in the hotel the night before. Parents can cope with the sugar high.

I will feel neither guilty nor selfish making the cake request of HAL, but will accept the possibility that this will be served the next day.

Thanks one and all,

Ruth

THANK YOU ONE and ALL

What an overwhelming abundance of good suggestions. I followed up on the suggestion to call ship services with credit card in hand. They have cakes for sale ($50 to serve 10) for the dining room BUT they only offer generic chocolate or white icing. The man I spoke with advised me to make the order once on board so that the culinary arts' chef tackle the cake with pink. We both assumed these slab cakes were frozen and would just require decorating. That's the route I plan to follow and if need be we'll celebrate graciously a day late.

I made a dash this morning to both the Dollar Store and the Party Store and picked up a few 'tacky' decorations. Her cousins will be in charge of decorations. I have some magnets to help things adhere to the door.

There were many of you recommending Publix cakes. That will be our 'late celebration' for the ten year old as a bedtime treat in the hotel the night before. Parents can cope with the sugar high.

I will feel neither guilty nor selfish making the cake request of HAL, but will accept the possibility that this will be served the next day.

Thanks one and all,

Ruth

A random thought: Why not pick up a bottle of pink sprinkles in the grocery store and tuck it in your luggage. So if there's no pink available on the ship, you can come to the rescue! I've done that to granddaughter's cakes and it looks very pretty.

I agree. I'm sure HAL can come up with a pretty cupcake with pink icing, and you can stick a candle or sparkler in it.

Great suggestion.

I've celebrated 2 birthdays on HAL. On one, the day was actually the week before, one night during dinner I got a very nice square of chocolate mousse with writing on it. The other cruise, we ate on my balcony and a similar cake showed up with the room service order.

I celebrated my birthday on embarkation day on Princess and tho it came later in the day, I got balloons on my door and cake at dinner.

I like the cupcake suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

The first celebration was held at the Springhill Marriot with a cake purchased across the street at some Costco like store which didn't insist on a membership for a single purchase. All the grands were thrilled and that's what mattered and the grand travelling on her birthday felt much loved.

As for the five year old's birthday, I fortunately had the day wrong and her birthday was on the second cruise day so I had plenty of time to arrange a cake for the evening meal. When I'd called ship services I was told there was a $50 charge for a birthday celebratory cake beyond the usual sized one. Much to our surprise the pastry chef created a fine all pink cake which thrilled the birthday girl and there was no additional charge.

It was a great family cruise.

Ruth

Typhoon 1,

Thanks for the ship services' idea.

Pris 993

I doubt we could track down a decent bakery shop near our hotel, and the fact of the matter is the eight kids in the family like anything sweet and the adults would most likely pass on any dessert.

I'll see what her mum thinks of postponing. Of course her grandmother thinks she's mature enough to handle a delay, but the the usual haul of gifts will be postponed as well.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

You can order balloons & flowers for both kids cabins before you leave. Look at the indulgences..

Not even sure you will be able to get pink icing on the children's cakes.. Think HAL's cakes are kept in the Freezer & are generic ones.. The suggestion to call Ships Services is a good one..You can pick up a plastic Happy Birthday piece at any card store for the cakes.. Also doubt they will light candles on board but perhaps you could find some small battery operated ones..

Another suggestion would be to call your hotel & ask if they would make up two cakes in advance for you to take on board or even order two cakes from one of their local bakeries..

You would have to get HAL to put the older childs cake in the freezer..

Good luck in your quest..

Betty

Don't know about a cake, but there was someone I knew that was cruising and all I knew was the cruise line and the day she was leaving. I called guest services and asked them if they could decorate her room and things like that, and they did. She was really surprised when she got to her room. It was her first cruise ever also.

May HAL's guest service could do something like that also.

Good luck. . .

[quote name='Been There, Planning That']Betty, ship services could only guarantee a generic cake and what mattered most was PINK for the 5 year old. And she got pink complete with strawberry decorations.

It all worked out beautifully in the end.

Ruth[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I never even realized that you had already been on your cruise..Sorry but glad it worked out for you & the chef was able to create a pink cake..

Happy for the little ones..

Thanks for getting back to us..

Betty[/SIZE]