Embarkation photo? Photogs on ship?

sarawithanh

I am sorry, but I hated that experience. We have just flown between 5 and 11 hours to get to the ship, and just want to check in and get cleaned up.

One time when we were watching from our balcony as passengers getting off the ship were almost assaulted by the photographers. One lady was dressed as Katherine the Great with an off the shoulder dress and her bra straps showing-talk about cheesy!

Our last cruise was unfortunately on a cruise that had the photographers. At embarkation, we declined the pictures and they were fine with it so I though all would be well but, not so fast.

From then on we were almost assaulted with photographers getting off, getting on, on the decks, at dinner, etc. Told each of the photographers that we did not want to be bothered and that we wanted no photographs. Well, would seem that made things worse and made them try harder for the photographs. They told me it was part of their job and they had to ask and/or try to take photos and that they would not stop no matter what we wanted. Finally decided to try and simply ignore them and not respond but, even that didn't always work as they kept asking while I kept silent so I had to turn and walk away when I was perfectly happy where i was.

So much nicer without all the pushing for photos.

I must admit, the only thing I liked about having a photog onboard was the rack of embarkation photos one could peruse to see "who was who".

These days, considering almost everyone has a cellphone w/camera and shares digital photos, it is completely unnecessary to have an "old school" photo shop onboard.

I make my living with photography ...and I hate the photographers on board ships. It's not them. They are not really well trained; They are forced to have a quota so they are pushy. The photographers on Regent were a money losing activity and were a leased department. On the Carnival ships including Princess - they own the photo centers.

With the fabulous cameras, tablets, computers, etc. etc. etc., wonderful photographs can be taken on board. So many passengers found them to be a nuisance (and I doubt if they generated much money), it is nice to see them gone.

TedC - He was on "HAL":eek: Actually, probably not a bad cruise line from what I hear.

The last Carnival cruise I went on, they were extremely pushing and took mannnnnnnnnny pics of us at dinner. We just wanted to enjoy dinner. So I could have done without that.

But I did enjoy getting the embarkation photo - maybe because I was sick as **** but my outfit was super cute and hubby and I looked really great in the photo.

and I enjoyed getting 1 formal night pic of me and hubby. and 1 group photo of our friends all dressed up.

I'm a scrapbooker, so I treasure photos. Those were the only professional ones I wanted and paid for on the ship.

I know I am going to have to be assertive on my trip with my grandfather and asking strangers to take our pic together.

and if anybody seriously uses their tablet for pics they deserve to be smacked upside the head.

[my mom used her tablet at home to take a picture of a cake and ended up dropping the ipad onto her granite countertop and cracking the screen]

Lots of very good photographers will surely be aboard as guests. Lots of terrific venues and opportunities for memorable photos. My wife, a truly great portrait photographer, is always offering help to those fellow passengers who ask. Its me who you don't want!

and if anybody seriously uses their tablet for pics they deserve to be smacked upside the head.

[my mom used her tablet at home to take a picture of a cake and ended up dropping the ipad onto her granite countertop and cracking the screen]

When we were going through the Panama Canal, there was a man leaning over the side of the ship taking pictures with his ipad. I was just waiting for it to drop.

sarawithanh: If most passengers were as young and beautiful as you are, we would want photographers around as well:D Unfortunately, many of us "slightly older follks" prefer to take photographs of "things" rather than ourselves.

Agree 100% about iPads. I do not use an iPad but find my new tablet (released 11/2013) to be quite good. I can only imagine where the technology will be in a couple of years. We do have a good camera. I use my tablet only to take a quick picture and email it to friends and family. On the cruise we just completed, while they may have seen one or two pictures of us, we sent them crocodiles jumping out of the water with their mouths open, fish in the Great Barriar Reef, a Komoto Dragon or two, a koala that was inches away (was able to pet him/her), kangaroos and other various birds and wild life.

Edited by Travelcat2

Spoken like a true photographer. Wonder what movie stars would do without professional photographers to remove all of their flaws?

Obviously the posted photos taken by a Carnival photographer (:eek:) do not look professional but we can see the happy faces and even smile ourselves. IMO, non-intrusive photographers are great for mainstream cruise lines.

There is an easy fix to being pestered....I always try and take pictures of the photographers.

I tell them the prints will be on display outside my cabin, if they want to send a nice 8x10 home. :cool:

8755183900_0170532d24_b.jpg

8203391339_a8b098d8f1_b.jpg

6987975956_debd00513c_b.jpg

Well the last guy looks like a model very handsome.