Have You Sailed a Non-Glass Balcony Cabin?

Seasons

Do you think having a non-glass balcony takes away from the balcony experience?

I sailed on the Adventure of the Seas which has metal instead of glass. It was not fabulous since you had to stand up to see out above the metal balcony railing.

The other ships I have been on have all had glass balcony railings.

The Small Ships of Princess have metal barriers on some of their decks and metal bars on others. I didn't mind the metal bars.

I've sailed on other cruise lines without the glass and it was bothersome not to be able to look out to sea while sitting on the balcony. I'm always happy to be back on the bigger Princess ships after those other ships. :)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp!

The Sun, Sea and Dawn are all the metal balconies not glass and that's all I've been on. I love those balconies so super excited to be going on Diamond this year with glass ones :)

Absolutely agree, have spent over 40 days on those balconeys and loved them! Would hate to be on a glass enclosed balconey where people could see me and would really hate it if people could look down on me from above!

I've sailed in a cabin with a metal balcony (It was on the Sapphire Princess, and if I recall correctly the cabin was B115. It isn't quite as nice as a glass balcony, but still quite usable. You can't see the ocean unless you look over the railing, aside from that everything else was reasonable. Unfortunately, the weather on the sailing I was on (a 5-day southbound coastal repo) wasn't good enough to make much use of the balcony anyway.

I sailed on the Adventure of the Seas which has metal instead of glass. It was not fabulous since you had to stand up to see out above the metal balcony railing.

The other ships I have been on have all had glass balcony railings.

The Sun, Sea and Dawn are all the metal balconies not glass and that's all I've been on. I love those balconies so super excited to be going on Diamond this year with glass ones :)

Oh Dear!! My senility is showing! I have been on the Sea, Sun and Dawn but never heard of them referred to as non-glass balconies. It is a bit pesky not to be able to see the ocean while sitting.

We've been on both and while the glass railing is a little nicer, it's not really that big of a deal--kind of hard to see through anyway, if you are sitting down. If you are sitting in a chair and looking straight out, you don't see much, either way.

For viewing the ocean, or ports, we are usually standing at the rail, so it's kind of a non-issue. The glass rails look nicer, though.

Based on the pictures, am I correct in assuming that all of the balconies on the Ocean and Pacific have the solid, non-glass railings?

Thanks,

No, almost all of the ones on the port and starboard sides are like the one pictured below.

011%252012.17.07%2520Eggs%2520Benedict%2520breakfast%2520on%2520the%2520balcony%2520100_8661.JPG

Edited by caribill

We sailed on the old Royal in 2010 and loved the balcony. It had the iron bars and was completely covered. Let you sit in comfort with a clear view of the sea without looking through the (sometimes water/salt stained) blue "glass" while dining or drinking. Do miss the old Royal.:(

Edited by ExDean

We sailed on the old Royal in 2010 and loved the balcony. It had the iron bars and was completely covered. Let you sit in comfort with a clear view of the sea without looking through the (sometimes water/salt stained) blue "glass" while dining or drinking. Do miss the old Royal.:(

We too really miss the real Royal. But a further point in our preference for the metal bars is that when sunning on a balcony, the reflective sunlight being cast from the water is great for tanning where the glass panels filter this out.

Edited by ONT-CA

That's good to hear. Do they all come with the delicious looking breakfast?? :D:D

Thanks for the picture.

Actually, I called the dining room and asked if I could come down and get that breakfast and carry it back to the cabin. In horror, they said "no." But they did say they would prepare it and send it up, which they did.

It would bother me if I couldn't see the ocean when I was sitting down. Most of the older ships had bars rather than glass and that was fine with me. I recall one ship (can't remember which one) that had solid walls around the promenade deck and I hated that I couldn't look out while I was sitting.

As ONT_CA says, the glass is always salt-stained. We had a part-metal & part-glass in Diamond up on Deck B. It was a fine cabin for a 22-day Transpacific extravaganza. We have booked a metal balcony in Royal for next October.

Steve