Do all cruises have formal night?

Cruiser1128

No not all cruiselines have formal night~ I know for sure NCL does not have one~ love that!

Royal does have them, not sure when they are as I haven't cruised Royal in years~Either someone will know here and post or you could post on the Royal board and ask~

First time cruising: Trying to find out what day formal night would be on our 6 night RC cruise.

I'm guessing that you can ask someone who's done the same itinerary on RC can tell you. But be aware these things aren't set in stone. My last three cruises have been holiday ones on Princess, and sometimes when there's a holiday involved such as Valentine's Day, Christmas, New Years, the formal dinners get switched to those days.

I know that on Princess the first day's newsletter will summarize the upcoming cruise, including giving a rundown as to which nights are formal and which ones are smart casual. Maybe Royal does that too.

Check with your roll call here on cruise critic. Often there will be someone who has been on the ship and can answer your question.

Formal night depends on your ship. A friend got turned away from the dining room because he didn't have a jacket on on Celebrity (he went and put one on). More people are formal on Princess but not everyone and I have seen shorts every night on Carnival.

Formal means different things to different passengers and some ships are more "formal" than others. Formal nights are generally on the first and second to last sea days. And the 1st one usually coincide will coincide with the Captain's Welcome Party on the 1st sea day.

First time cruising: Trying to find out what day formal night would be on our 6 night RC cruise.

no they do not a few have none at all( Windstar, NCL for instance) and what 'passes' for formal night on the rest of the mainstream lines is a clean shirt with a collar and a pair of Dockers.

that being said, on Royal the first sea day is traditionally the first formal night, with the second to last night of the cruise being the second( or final if there are more than 2 )

RC will have formal nights....whether you participate is up to you. The 1st one is always night 2. If there is a 2nd formal night, it will usually be on the next to last evening. A formal night is NEVER the 1st or last night, as folks either don't have their luggage yet or will be packing to go home!

And although Princess ships usually have formal nights, they don't on some of the shorter cruises. We did back-to-back four-night cruises on the Ruby Princess last month. They changed it from formal night to "dress to impress" on both. Yet they still allowed men to wear shorts to dinner if they wanted to.

Check with your roll call here on cruise critic. Often there will be someone who has been on the ship and can answer your question.

Formal night depends on your ship. A friend got turned away from the dining room because he didn't have a jacket on on Celebrity (he went and put one on). More people are formal on Princess but not everyone and I have seen shorts every night on Carnival.

don't think so..

What part are you disagreeing with? I have seen men turned away more than once on X for no jacket on formal nights.

Yep, it does happen. The couple at the next table did not show up on the first formal night. The next night we asked what specialty restaurant they had dined in. They told us they ate in the buffet because he was refused entry when he insisted on his "right" to wear jeans and a polo shirt on formal night. He found out very quickly that it is the cruise line that determines the rules, not the passengers. :D

They again ate in the buffet on the remaining formal nights. He said he refused to dine in the MDR because he was standing his ground about being "forced" to dress up when he didn't want to. (I guess that taught Celebrity a lesson! :rolleyes: ) He said he was never cruising on Celebrity again because of the way they "treated" him.

Edited by boogs

Yep, it does happen. The couple at the next table did not show up on the first formal night. The next night we asked what specialty restaurant they had dined in. They told us they ate in the buffet because he was refused entry when he insisted on his "right" to wear jeans and a polo shirt on formal night. He found out very quickly that it is the cruise line that determines the rules, not the passengers. :D

They again ate in the buffet on the remaining formal nights. He said he refused to dine in the MDR because he was standing his ground about being "forced" to dress up when he didn't want to. (I guess that taught Celebrity a lesson! :rolleyes: ) He said he was never cruising on Celebrity again because of the way they "treated" him.

jeans and a polo aren't the same as no jacket

Just to correct, NCL doesn't call it a "Formal Night" anymore, but they do still have their "Dress Up or Not" night or Norwegian Night (just another name for it) and the "or Not" for those that don't want to.

But for those of us that LOVE to dress up, there is still a night to do so and we did for photos (best souvenir of the cruise).

And Princess certainly still has a formal night, and jacket or tie was required. The maitre D' even had ties and jackets to lend to the guys arriving without one for the Main Dining Room.

Have a great cruise!

Just to correct, NCL doesn't call it a "Formal Night" anymore, but they do still have their "Dress Up or Not" night or Norwegian Night (just another name for it) and the "or Not" for those that don't want to.

But for those of us that LOVE to dress up, there is still a night to do so and we did for photos (best souvenir of the cruise).

The key is that it's 100% optional, which is nice.