How safe in Bangkok at the moment?

Widebay

Okay everyone, I guess you have seen the latest round of riots in Bangkok city. Give a lot of consideration to your safety at this present moment.

I know the cruise companies, will also consider if this city is to be included in shore excursions, for the immediate future.

We have been watching it closely. The challenge is getting reliable, balanced news. We leave tomorrow for seven weeks in Thailand. As soon as we get there we will head south to Ko Samui and then Krabi.

I think that it will be fine as long as we avoid the street demonstrations.

Edited by iancal

I'm watching it closely too since we'll be there in less than 4 weeks. Looking at this website as well: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bangkok-shutdown/

I'm hoping things will die down after the elections, but you never know. I've asked my TA about a contingency plan, since we are supposed to be there for 4 days.

BANGKOK - Thailand's government on Tuesday declared a state of emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas to cope with protests that have stirred up violent attacks, adding to the country's months-long sense of crisis.

Labour Minister Chalerm Yubumrung said that the measure will continue for 60 days beginning Wednesday, but did not announce any specific actions. The decree greatly expands the power of security forces to issue orders and search, arrest and detain people, with limited judicial and parliamentary oversight. The areas covered had already been placed under tougher-than-normal security under the country's Internal Security Act.

When we cruised there with Princess we were supposed to disembark there. About 4 weeks prior to the trip Princess changed our final port to Singapore. Of course everyone had made their flight arrangements at that time. Princess offered to cover the change fee but not any difference in the airfare cost. Worked out ok for us as my flight price dropped by just over $100 a ticket. Don't know if all were as fortunate.

We still stopped at the port for Bangkok and many took tours to the city.

If this unrest continues I would expect to see similar itinerary changes as we experienced. Egypt is a prime example of late with many lines dropping it completly on Med cruises.

We have been watching it closely. The challenge is getting reliable, balanced news. We leave tomorrow for seven weeks in Thailand. As soon as we get there we will head south to Ko Samui and then Krabi.

I think that it will be fine as long as we avoid the street demonstrations.

I have just returned from Thailand.

Krabi was fine, as was Chiang Mai.

Unfortunately BKK was a different matter. We were staying close to Sukhumvit, where there were many road blocks & demonstrations especially close to both the skytrain at Asok & Sukhumvit stations.

We successfully passed the masses by using the overhead walkways.

The atmosphere is tense & no one knows how things will go pre-election or post-election.

Taxi's & tuk tuks know how to negotiate the blocked roads, & actually the roads are less conjested than they are normally.

We used public transport, ie skytrain & MRT & got about easily but nevertheless the atmosphere is definitely tense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're contemplating a land vacation to Thailand/Bangkok in the spring. We've been there twice.

The latest news sounds to be that the protest sites are being dismantle and moved to Lupini Park. Generally speaking, the situation seems fluid at the moment. From what I've read a few weeks ago, it sounded like danger could be avoided by staying away from protest sites (and nearby government offices) during the evening but recently, quite a few random attacks (eg grenades) have occurred around the protest sites even during the day. A lot of the major tourist attractions are away from the protest sites though. On the other hand, a lot of the major shopping malls are by protest sites.

Another useful resource from Richard Barrow is his map outlining where the protest sites are/were, where violence has occurred, and where some major attractions are.

We're still considering going to Thailand/Bangkok but will just try to make safer decisions where to be. However, we're also obviously going to keep an eye on the news.

Edited by Milhouse