Transferring a reservation to a travel agent? It is really that easy?

illiniwahoo

I have read on these board that you can transfer a booking to a travel agent. The price of the cruise I want just dropped so I can get a balcony for the price of the oceanview I was looking at (Our first balcony!!!). So i want to pounce now, but I also want the OBC that many travel agents offer (and the ones I am looking at are now closed for the weekend. So can I just book now on the celebrity website, then transfer it to a travel agent on Monday morning to get the OBC? Is that really how it works? {I hear people talk about it on these boards, but it doesn't really seem logical to me}

I can't respond to your question about transferring the reservation to a TA, but O would offer a word of caution.

If something happens while you are in transit to your departure (usually on a weekend) you need to be able to depend on the TA. Working with someone who is inaccessible won't be of much value. The service from the TA isn't just getting a few extra benefits. The real value is the assistance they can provide when stuff hits the fan.

We have transferred cruise bookings to online travel agencies successfully in the past and just booked two cruises while onboard a cruise and the Celebrity staff automatically sent the info to the agent we use.

I have read on these board that you can transfer a booking to a travel agent. The price of the cruise I want just dropped so I can get a balcony for the price of the oceanview I was looking at (Our first balcony!!!). So i want to pounce now, but I also want the OBC that many travel agents offer (and the ones I am looking at are now closed for the weekend. So can I just book now on the celebrity website, then transfer it to a travel agent on Monday morning to get the OBC? Is that really how it works? {I hear people talk about it on these boards, but it doesn't really seem logical to me}

Isn't there even a place during booking to note a travel agent name and phone number? I've been using a TA for a while, so haven't booked on X site ....

Yes, it is really that easy -- just as long as you do it within 60 days of booking the reservation.

Just check around and compare offers because often one TA will offer a better deal on a particular cruise, and the next time it may be a different TA who has the better deal.

Also, find out all their terms in advance so there are no unwelcome surprises later.

There is a pdf form on the Celebrity website that you can fill out online.

Celebrity Cruises Booking Transfer Form

Then you can either fax it to Celebrity, or simply email it to the TA and let the TA handle it from there.

We used one TA who did not even require the form. We gave him the reservation number over the phone and he took care of the whole thing.

But most of them want the transfer form.

We make all our own travel arrangements and do not involve the TA in any way, so we never have any reason or wish to contact the TA when something happens in transit.

Guess that is just a matter of personal preference.

Throughout the years, whenever a problem in transit arose, such as flight delays or cancellations or an airport shutting down, we were always glad that we were able to handle the arrangements ourselves immediately right there on the spot instead of needing to start contacting a third party.

Dealing directly with the airline ourselves, we would already be re-routed on an alternate flight while our travel companions were waiting for their TA to call them back.

Edited by varoo

The other issue is that if it's after final payment, you can't do it. Lost out last year because of that.

Also, on X, if you see a cabin over the weekend that you like, you can put a complimentary 24 hour hold on it which should keep it for you til the TA opens on Monday morning. . .

As posters have stated you have 60 days after booking to transfer to a TA who will likely offer OBC, prepaid gratuities or whatever above what X has given.

The negative is is they will ask for a larger deposit to be paid more then what X requires plus if you decide to cancel before the final payment the TA will likely hold back a few hundred dollars of your deposit.

I always transfer to a TA but have never had to cancel a cruise.

Baldercash,

That might be the case in Canada but a US deposit should be the same for both a direct reservation of a TA booking. A cancellation charge might come into play with some TA's.

OP,

Be absolutely certain that the OBC is TA generated and not something like the 1-2-3 package from Celebrity. Not all attractive OBC offers are compatible with Celebrity offers. And if you have shareholder credit, can it be applied? Does the TA charge for cabin changes, cancellations or rate reductions? Are you looking for a TA that will assist you after hours or just an online booking service where you never get a phone number?

With that being said we have booked directly, booked and moved to a TA, and booked initially with a TA.

It seems to me that all of the extras the TAs provide (plus I assume some commission) have to come out of Celebrity's bottom line so why do they make it so easy to transfer? And why doesn't Celebrity offer the same deals to cut down on the transfers?

As posters have stated you have 60 days after booking to transfer to a TA who will likely offer OBC, prepaid gratuities or whatever above what X has given.

The negative is is they will ask for a larger deposit to be paid more then what X requires plus if you decide to cancel before the final payment the TA will likely hold back a few hundred dollars of your deposit.

I always transfer to a TA but have never had to cancel a cruise.

We have never had to pay more deposit than if we'd booked directly with Celebrity and have never had $ retained by the T/A for changes or cancellations to our booking, if done before final payment. We have previously booked directly with our T/A as well as transferred to a T/A from a booking made onboard.

Cathy

***This is not an advertisement, this is to answer the OP's question***

I'm a travel agent and had booked my upcoming Solstice cruise independently, then decided to run it through my agency.

There is a form that needs to be filled basically just giving the TA information, the original direct booking information and an optional question asking why the transfer is taking place.

It requires a signature from the booked guest and the booking CAN NOT be paid in full.

As it was me... transferring to me... it was a little funny to fill it out, but that is the process as of a month or 2 ago

I can't respond to your question about transferring the reservation to a TA, but O would offer a word of caution.

If something happens while you are in transit to your departure (usually on a weekend) you need to be able to depend on the TA. Working with someone who is inaccessible won't be of much value. The service from the TA isn't just getting a few extra benefits. The real value is the assistance they can provide when stuff hits the fan.

We booked a future cruise while we were on our last cruise and it was transferred to our TA without a problem. We won't do it again because our TA of many years made a mistake and lied about it. An important issue has been raised here. If something goes wrong ( depending on the issue) and you cannot contact your TA you will have to contact the cruise line or air line directly and deal with them.

Edited by Chicago Boy

It is very easy and worth the 10% that some TAs give back in benefits. It does make sense if you think about the relationships between the cruise lines and the travel agencies

Baldercash,

That might be the case in Canada but a US deposit should be the same for both a direct reservation of a TA booking. A cancellation charge might come into play with some TA's.

OP,

Be absolutely certain that the OBC is TA generated and not something like the 1-2-3 package from Celebrity. Not all attractive OBC offers are compatible with Celebrity offers. And if you have shareholder credit, can it be applied? Does the TA charge for cabin changes, cancellations or rate reductions? Are you looking for a TA that will assist you after hours or just an online booking service where you never get a phone number?

With that being said we have booked directly, booked and moved to a TA, and booked initially with a TA.

I use a large US online travel agency that does Tuesday flash sales.

Very popular with CC members.

They almost always offer prepaid gratuities plus on board credit often a free specialty dinner as well.

Last cruise on Millie in Nov, 35 days in AC1 we received $750.00 OBC & prepaid gratuities. Booked through X at $100.00 a head when transferred we had to up our deposit an additional $900.00. We had no X Future cruise credits.

X will watch for fare reductions TA won't so your responsibility, our 2nd leg dropped $200.00 a person I use a web service to monitor price.

TA reduced the fare but dropped my OBC from $400.00 to $350.00.

Who needs 123 promotions X raises the price when they add it. We are Elite so a few drinks every night before dinner is fine with us and the odd beer or bottle of wine and we are very content. We converted our sparking wine from Ac into a white in Blu and it took 2 dinners to drink.

Been using them for 12 years and about 25 cruises, the current CEO was our 1st agent, we use the same agent each booking.

If we find a deal on line we email her the details and she will call us and present their offer which always beats even the 90 day out specials offered by another large on line company.

They charge a fee if you cancel before 90 days and it is in USD.

Edited by baldercash

We have done it successfully almost every time. The trick is to have the form sent to the TA if booking onboard. Don't fill out the special form(Pdf) they give you and mail it in. I did that once and was told by Captain's Club not to do that as most don't get to where they need to be. It was such a hassle that I only had a few days left before the 60 days was up! I learned a very important lesson from this!:eek: As stated just above, you can monitor the price very easily with a service that is cheap!

Edited by Lastdance

I tried to transfer the booking, but my travel agent advised that it may take celebrity up to 5 days to process, and my final payment is due Tuesday. So I ended up cancelling and rebooking, but got the same price, same room, and $225 Obc! So all is well that ends well, but be aware transferring can take some time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We have done it successfully almost every time. The trick is to have the form sent to the TA if booking onboard. Don't fill out the special form(Pdf) they give you and mail it in.!
I agree, and also prefer to email the transfer form directly to the TA -- even if not booking onboard.

That is why I provided the direct link to the online transfer form in my previous post.

The TA is the one who has the strong incentive to make sure the transfer goes through because the TA is the one who will receive the commission from the cruise line.

Also, if you are close to the cutoff date they can get an extension.

The first time that we transferred a booking to a TA right before the deadline we were starting to panic thinking the transfer would not be completed in time. But the TA told us not to worry and got the deadline extended.

Once again, I would like to emphasize the importance of knowing all the terms up front to avoid any unwelcome surprises later.

Some TAs may charge a fee for processing cancellations or changes, while others won't.

But even if they charge a fee, it does not necessarily mean that you should rule out that TA.

Look at the total package offered each time (total cost to you and total benefits derived) and compare them to determine which offer will be in your best interest.

Edited by varoo

***This is not an advertisement, this is to answer the OP's question***

I'm a travel agent and had booked my upcoming Solstice cruise independently, then decided to run it through my agency.

There is a form that needs to be filled basically just giving the TA information, the original direct booking information and an optional question asking why the transfer is taking place.

It requires a signature from the booked guest and the booking CAN NOT be paid in full.

As it was me... transferring to me... it was a little funny to fill it out, but that is the process as of a month or 2 ago

So if, as another poster argues, the value of a TA is being able to have easy ability to communicate if something goes wrong, you should be fairly easily able to communicate with yourself. Nice!