Port or Starboard Help please !

cisco 09

Hi everyone. This is probably a silly question but is there any way to know if a ship will dock on the port or starboard side. Is this dependent on the destination or are there any rules. I'm only asking because my mother has mobility problems and may spend some time on the balcony and it would be nice to have something to look at other than sea ! Thank you !

The ship won't dock to the same side every time...so it's a 50/50 chance... Even if you aren't facing the dock, you will be in a harbor, not facing out to sea! There will be plenty of scenery!

Side of the ship won't matter one bit.

Hi everyone. This is probably a silly question but is there any way to know if a ship will dock on the port or starboard side. Is this dependent on the destination or are there any rules. I'm only asking because my mother has mobility problems and may spend some time on the balcony and it would be nice to have something to look at other than sea ! Thank you !

It could be either side, but ships do tend to dock on one particular side in certain ports. What's your ship and itinerary?

Hi there, Port or Starboard?

Heard the word POSH? It stands for Port out Starboard home (based on sailing to /from England/ India way back when).

I wouldn't worry about the ports - but days at sea if the sun is full on your balcony all afternoon can be a real no-no. I look at the cruise chart and work on east/west for sun light. A long cruise (50 days or more) it is extremely important.

Our last B2B was December 2012. Same cabin (port side) and same itineraries. First week we were docked where we could see the dock activities, second week all we saw was the open waters.

As someone else said its a 50/50 chance.

If the pier runs parallel to the port then one side will face the land / harbor, the other will face the sea. Hard to say which side on the ship will be which case. But as many of the piers are perpendicular to the port (so that the front of the ship if docked forward faces the harbor) then either side will offer the same type of view, but not necessarily directly at the port.

And if it is the pier that you are looking to see as you are docked to it, that could very well be 50/50 from one port to the next. And the same ship will not necessarily always dock in the same direction in the same port each time.

In other words it is hard to say for sure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind