Clearing Customs in Key West

richard1s

I am confused, so hopefully you can clarify.

Do you have to go through all this if you aren't getting off the ship? We have been to Key West and don't plan to disembark.

Yes. All passengers have to clear Customs in KW if coming from a foreign port. Unfortunately, it makes no difference if you plan on staying aboard.

• 2 months later...
Yes, it is correct. Because you are coming from foreign port, you do have to clear in Key West. For some reason, most of the ships that come here are from foreign port. It would be much easier if KW was the first stop....not just for the passengers, but also for the CBP agents who have to work them.

Our Connie cruise from FLL stops at KW first, so no need to go thru immig/customs?

Just want to make sure! Glad our ship stops there first!

Any special procedures when we reboard in KW?

Have not been to KW in a long time.

Edited by hcat

Our Connie cruise from FLL stops at KW first, so no need to go thru immig/customs?

Just want to make sure! Glad our ship stops there first!

Any special procedures when we reboard in KW?

Have not been to KW in a long time.

If KW is your first stop, there will be no clearance at all.

Just make sure you take a picture ID off the ship along with your SeaPass card. Security on the pier does check your cruise card against a photo

ID when reboarding.

Otherwise, getting off and on will be a breeze for you. Enjoy your cruise. :)

• 10 months later...

Ok...so everyone has to get off the boat, whether you want to or not??

AND it goes by muster station#? And if your not there on time you can be fined?

Is this all factual and accurate? I was looking forward to Key West, but based on this info, perhaps not.

I haven't cruised much, but never heard or seen this before anywhere.

We always get off in Key West but not to clear CBP. We've only done this while aboard the Majesty and were directed to the theater. It's generally a pretty quick process where the agents inspect your passport and then someone from RCI punches a hole in your seapass to confirm you've been through.

Ok...so everyone has to get off the boat, whether you want to or not??

AND it goes by muster station#? And if your not there on time you can be fined?

Is this all factual and accurate? I was looking forward to Key West, but based on this info, perhaps not.

I haven't cruised much, but never heard or seen this before anywhere.

Everyone must clear Immigrations in KW if you are coming from a foreign port. No, you do not have to get off the boat. It's a simple process. As noted, you just go to the designated lounge/dining room at the time you're told to, get your SeaPass card punched, and then go on about your normal business. Ships full of people do this just about every day, so don't worry too much about it. It's a very, very minor inconvenience at best.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok..and is it still done by Muster Station# if you don't book an excursion with RCI?

I really don't know. That's up to the ship and it seems to change with the tides. I don't know how Majesty is currently handling it.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm. We were on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston four years ago that sailed to Nassau, Freeport, and then Key West. I don't recall any customs clearance procedure when we got off at Key West. We just walked off as usual with a backpack full of snorkel gear for our privately booked excursion. I would have remembered if we had to bring our passports because I wouldn't have wanted them in with all that soon to be wet clothing and gear. And no cruise cards were being punched, it was just like any other port day.

Then, when we returned to Galveston there were only people collecting customs declarations without even looking at them in the customs area. The stations where they usually check passports were not manned.

Does it perhaps matter which other ports you visit?

Edited by James in SA