CNN's report of norovirus on Majesty of the Seas

johnt83

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/travel/cruise-line-passengers-sickened/index.html?sr=fb0118141cruiseship10a

Has CNN ever reported good news about the cruise industry?? I'm seeing so many comments of why not to go on a cruise on their Facebook page as well.

CNN = Constantly Negative News

Edited by johnt83

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/travel/cruise-line-passengers-sickened/index.html?sr=fb0118141cruiseship10a

Has CNN ever reported good news about the cruise industry?? I'm seeing so many comments of why not to go on a cruise on their Facebook page as well.

CNN = Constantly Negative News

Thank you for the link. I guess that good things happening just isn't news-worthy!

Sad, but true. The only positive TV coverage of cruising I've seen came from a local Seattle station. Every Friday during cruise season, they did a feature on different cruise ships in port that day. Got to where I really looked forward to the noon news on Fridays! :cool:

But, you're right -- CNN is one of the worst offenders. I remember watching a story they did, right after the Triumph debacle. It featured a panel of "experts" on the cruise industry -- just CNN reporters, really. They spent 20 minute rehashing every cruise disaster to hit the headlines since the Titanic. At the end of the piece, one of the "experts" confided that she had never cruised -- and never would! :rolleyes:

That doesn't surprise me at all! I feel like the media is the biggest reason millions of Americans haven't experienced this wonderful vacation...there are SO many misconceptions out there. I am glad I got some of my family and friends hooked onto cruising, it's music to my ears when they ask me "why didn't I start cruising earlier in my life?" :)

Saw this today. Not surprising as others have stated the media loves to bash the cruise industry. Sad because several people I know (who have never cruised) frequently tell me they would never go on a cruise because of all the problems they have.

What so many (especially non cruising people) do not understand is that the reason the focus is on an actual cruise ship is because the virus can be made self contained. That is what the scientists need to do further studies on the virus.

When it is in a hotel, the people come and go...when it is in your town, the people come and go...when it is in your office building...the people come and go. But the great thing about it being on a cruise ship is that they can "contain" it to do further studies.

That is one reason why they "Highlight" when a cruise ship has it. It's a Good Thing for study purposes. However, it can be anywhere!

If I heard correctly, CNN, unlike the News Station I was watching failed to include the information that RCCL was supposedly offering those affected a future cruise. Thank goodness that is was only 66 people who were sick.

That doesn't surprise me at all! I feel like the media is the biggest reason millions of Americans haven't experienced this wonderful vacation...there are SO many misconceptions out there. I am glad I got some of my family and friends hooked onto cruising, it's music to my ears when they ask me "why didn't I start cruising earlier in my life?" :)

Exactly. I have been on two cruise one 14 days and one 15 days and did not experience any norovirus. Did you know that your chances of getting sicker on land is more than onboard a ship? Let's say Joe's Diner down the road people got sick do you think that CNN would cover the story?

One doesn't know if people were already sick before boarding the cruise and then this organization called the media tries to scare the living daylights out of people by reporting the norovirus.

If you wash your hands constantly and keep good hygiene your chances of getting noro go down. Anyone can get sick.

If I heard correctly, CNN, unlike the News Station I was watching failed to include the information that RCCL was supposedly offering those affected a future cruise. Thank goodness that is was only 66 people who were sick.

I suspect there was more people with hangovers than noro ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CDC has the following link...http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/index.html

It will tell you more than you EVER want to know about Norovirus.

1 in every 15 Americans will get noro this year! AND guess what CNN...they will NOT all be on a cruise ship!!!!

I have been aboard, let's see, 5 different cruises where Noro started, and two where it was not contained within the cruise.

The worst case that I can think of, was aboard Celebrity's Mercury. The ship was beautiful, but with all of the wood walls being washed down, and then coming by every so often to wipe our door handle, and knowing the Captain, yet, the greeting was elbow to elbow, and at the height of the epidemic, we had some 120 cases.

The ship was clean when we came aboard, but someone........no not just someone, but a group that was staying in a hotel the night before, came aboard with the symptoms, and didn't own up.

It's sad, when the cruise line will give you full credit toward a future cruise, if you have the symptoms, and they confirm it, before you board.

Unfortunately, Noro, in its present form, will continue to plague us, as cruise passengers, because of the ones that want to cruise......maybe it's just their first cruise.......but will bring it aboard, and then it spreads.

That is life!;)

Rick

Ummmm, Fox News has run this same story 2 times in the last 2 days. I was flipping through channels earlier and came across the story there myself.

This isn't a "CNN" thing, this is a media thing. They focus on the bad things and whatever else their corporate sponsors want them to focus on.

After reading these comments I thought I was mysteriously flipped over to the Carnival boards. :D The media is what it is. Let it go. I'm sure no one is cancelling their cruise. Happy cruising everyone.

This has NOTHING to do about CNN. I'm local and our 4 local news stations all played similar or worse stories. They really didn't say anything that horrible.

The people complaining in comments or on FB clearly already don't like or want to cruise. This story wasn't going to change anything.

As pointed out Fox News hit this story also. So enough with bashing CNN.

I'm new here, so maybe I'm a bit confused. What happened to this thread? I had a number of posts here yesterday that have disappeared. I don't know what was wrong with them. I've looked at the guidelines and I'm at a loss. Does anyone know what happened?

The posts basically pointed out that "good news" about cruising isn't reported because it doesn't sell.

I do hope I didn't offend anyone, and if I did, I'm sorry. Just kind of baffled?:confused:

Yea, a bunch of posts were deleted. They were probably off topic, but so are around 76% of posts on here.

Hmmm.... I guess that makes sense. I think we started talking about good and bad news sources, so guilty as charged!

Strange they deleted my first post however. I think all I did there was point out to the OP that the reason CNN doesn't report "good" new from the cruise industry, is that it isn't usually actually considered newsworthy.

Oh well, I guess I'm learning!

CNN was probably just airing another news story, that would of course draw the attention of a cruise site. aka Us (CC)

I just feel for the people who were on the cruise, worrying about having a good time, when they probably waited forever to cruise.

Yea, I think about it, getting sick, but, try to be cautious and take all precautions.

Sea Ya