below the knee shorts at dinner for men allowed??

Touristbay

So no jeans either then lol. Lots of men were wearing three quarter length shorts or jeans on the two RCCL cruises we were on but as we have never cruised with Princess I'm finding out now before we board, so letting people get their knickers in a twist on this site rather than on the ship.

I just got off the Ruby on 1/13/2014 and saw a few men in shorts also but that does not make it right. They decided to go against the printed Princess guidelines.

Just got off nine days on the Ruby Princess. Saw many men every night with shorts on in the dining room.

We were on the Royal Princess Dec 8th cruise and my DB - who at the age of 51 still hasn't realized that his older sister is always right :D - went to the MDR one night in shorts (his wife had warned him too). The hostess very politely sent him back to his room to change. His wife and I were amused :). They didn't join us in Sabatinis or the Crown Grill but ate at Alfredos or the Horizon Court on the remaining evenings to accommodate his aversion to long pants. We joined them a couple of evenings and the food and atmosphere were lovely at both - and we usually avoid the HC at all costs but not on the Royal!

Edited by capriccio

Sigh, lets keep it simple.

If you insist on wearing shorts (or anything else that is against the dress code), go ahead. But be mindful of a few things:

1> You ARE going against a suggested dress code, which means the MD or headwaiter may refuse service. If they do, go change or eat at a different location.

2> Some people may give you looks, or make comments

3> If traveling with children, please consider the message you are sending about rules.

If none of these apply or matter to you, you wearing shorts will not ruin my meal, but depending on reaction could diminish your enjoyment of yours.

Is it that folks just don't read the rules or do they just want to do whatever they want to do. It is plain how the dress code is to be and if you want to wear shorts to dinner, go up to the Cafe Caribe/Buffet and have at it.

I still like it when "in the day" we wore jackets/suits to dinner. That's when it was special to cruise on a ship and not like the bus ride it's come to be.

The guidelines say "smart casual"...Not casual. There's a difference. And smart casual has lots of options. Men in shorts, t shirts, rubber thong sandals are not smart casual. My suggestion is put on a pair of pants for dinner and change into your "long" shorts for the rest of the evening. OR wear the "long" shorts in the buffet and skip the MDR.

You certainly can show up at the MDR in "long" shorts and take your chance that that maitre d will look the other way. But if asked to go back and change, you don't really have any reason to complain. The policy is PRINTED for all to read. I know my DH would want to avoid the embarrasment of being asked to leave somewhere...especially knowing the policy ahead of time. And I would be ticked off that he tried to push the envelope on a beautiful dinner evening. Just how I would feel.

BTW...at lunch and breakfast the MDR will allow shorts. Dinner, the Captain would like to keep more traditional in the " refined dining room" sense.

Edited by eandj

On smart casual nights can my other half wear smart, below the knee shorts with polo top in the dining restaurant?

If your 'other half' is female, I say 'go for it':)

Speaking for myself if your 'other half' is male the answer should be 'No'.

If the answer is 'Yes', and I did it, I doubt very much whether my wife would let me see the next sunrise!:eek:

john