They Took Away Our Crown Viking Lounge on 2013 LBTS TransAtlantic!

umanemo

It was just a shame that they used the VCL every night at sunset from 16:00 to 21:00 excluding not only us but those many who would have experienced those fantastic once in a lifetime special moments as well!

Without having an interest in entering this debate, I do have a question regarding your quote above. On any of the cruises we've been on the earliest the lounge has opened is 17.30 and the latest it's closed is 20.30. Are you saying that on the TA's they have the lounge open for an additional 2 hours - that seems amazing considering there are so many D/D+ people onboard and RC are supposed to be cost-cutting :confused:

Without having an interest in entering this debate, I do have a question regarding your quote above. On any of the cruises we've been on the earliest the lounge has opened is 17.30 and the latest it's closed is 20.30. Are you saying that on the TA's they have the lounge open for an additional 2 hours - that seems amazing considering there are so many D/D+ people onboard and RC are supposed to be cost-cutting :confused:

Hi Anne, we were also on this cruise. They started to clear the VCL at 4pm for set up purposes for the food displays.

The firedoors were pulled closed so they could do this and opened at the start of Concierge hours.

When we were on the Serenade in December Concierge hours were brought forward to 4.30pm start because dining hours were brought forward . I was sat in the VCL at 3.30 and heard a guy going around asking people if they could leave so they could set up. I left before he got to me.

Edited by heatherb1953

Hi Anne, we were also on this cruise. They started to clear the VCL at 4pm for set up purposes for the food displays.

The firedoors were pulled closed so they could do this and opened at the start of Concierge hours.

When we were on the Serenade in December Concierge hours were brought forward to 4.30pm start because dining hours were brought forward . I was sat in the VCL at 3.30 and heard a guy going around asking people if they could leave so they could set up. I left before he got to me.

Thanks Heather - now I understand. Hope you and John are well. :)

We're doing our first TA on Liberty in October, will you be there?

The area the thread specifically started about was the Viking Crown Lounge which it touted on the RCCI web pages as a Public area. The interactive picture of the ship where you can click on the areas shows VCI as Public as well as text descriptions.

Totally barring anyone except "upper tier" from that Public Room during sunset times was and is the issue.

The consensus seems to be sharing the space with a group is OK but shutting it down exclusively is a problem to many.

I am so glad that someone has interpreted my drivel as I expected it to be understood, exactly! I was almost beginning to believe most of these angry replies myself and doubting that I was writing in any intelligible language.

I appreciate you seconding the motion!

Yes, It Isn't About the Free Cocktails, we all have money, but it's all about garnering one of the best venues onboard - during one of the best times of the day - and for the entire length of the itinerary! Concluding that those of us who paid full fares (without privileged D+/P discounts or comps!) were excluded from what is likely to be, to most of us loyal's and newbie's alike, RCI/RCCL's most recognized signature design of their fleet and maybe THE most valued public venue.

Edited by umanemo

The area the thread specifically started about was the Viking Crown Lounge which it touted on the RCCI web pages as a Public area. The interactive picture of the ship where you can click on the areas shows VCI as Public as well as text descriptions.

Totally barring anyone except "upper tier" from that Public Room during sunset times was and is the issue.

The consensus seems to be sharing the space with a group is OK but shutting it down exclusively is a problem to many.

Since you quoted my post

If you read over the link you would/will see that this whole process is SOP for rci and has been for many years. The "consensus" is that anyone who has cruised rci knows this and when groups are onboard, C&A or other groups they will do what they need to do. You will have to get used to it or vacation another way.

We were in chops for our anniversary, the gentleman at the table next to us complained to the waiter that his fork was far too heavy and he needed a lighter one. He complained the whole meal about everything.

When he left my wife and I, the table on the other side of him and his waiter all had a great laugh over it.

Some flatware can be too heavy for some of us ... this is a legitimate issue. I've had to ask for lighter flatware once or twice, but I certainly don't waste time complaining about it ... I'd rather eat!

I wonder about sunrise on the Viking crown instead.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

As Captain Johnny famously said, "Want to take a picture of a beautiful sunrise to show your friends back home? But you don't want to get up that early? Just take a picture of the sunset; they look the same."

The reverse is also true.

:)

I wonder about sunrise on the Viking crown instead.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Frankly, That work's much better. On the last TA there was a solar eclipse! The wonderfully informed staff indicated that the event would occur sometime around 6:15 AM, completely oblivious to the time zone that we would be in that morning. I went up to watch the astronomical event from the open deck just outside the Diamond CL and it was spectacular. The sun rose with fantastic colors and then, two hours later; you see, the staff forgot that we would have changed our clocks the previous evening and that we had crossed into the advanced time zone as well, but the solar event was also viewed and it was very special to have observed it at the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Very Kewl indeed!

So sunrise in and behind the VCL was unimpeded by the D+/P aristocracy and there was a certain pleasant solitude on board at that hour but at this time of day I just didn't have that same craving for an extra dry Hendricks martini, go figure.

As Captain Johnny famously said, "Want to take a picture of a beautiful sunrise to show your friends back home? But you don't want to get up that early? Just take a picture of the sunset; they look the same."

The reverse is also true.

:)

LIKE! (and so true)