Sea sick patch

momof1son

Transderm Scop® (scopolamine) should not be used in children and should be used with caution in the elderly.

You will have to see your doctor to get TransDerm Scop -- it is prescription and has I'm sure contraindications -- when you see her or him, ask about your child/children and what might help.

I'd like to pick something up, just in case. Are the patches (apparently, they go behind your ear?) safe for anybody to use? Including children? Or are there special kinds for children? :confused:

The scopolamine patch comes in only one strength. It's not recommended for children. There are some serious side effects from it. I'd consider it only as a last resort (and then only for adults).

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/scopolamine.html

My husband (5'10", 190 pounds) had blurry vision, dry mouth, and some disorientation the first time he used it.

The small print advice on the package is that you should not drink alcohol if using the patch. You can buy it over the counter if you are in Canada, BTW.

Nah, I wouldn`t put the patch on a child. Bring some child-safe anti-nausea med with you (in Canada it`s called Gravol).

Kids adapt quickly, but they also hurl quickly. Then they get over it quickly. Just my experience.

As many of us can testify from experience, the Transderm Scop patches have lots of potential side effects (just read the prescribing info) and, unfortunately, some of them do happen to many folks. We have posted, many times in the past, that you will not find an onboard cruise ship physician who will prescribe or recommend those patches...and that is for a good reason. They are the ones who often have to deal with the side effect issues. The most commonly used drug (but used for prevention and not a cure) is Meclizine Hcl....which is marketed in the USA over-the-counter as Bonine (or Dramamine Less Drowsy (not the regular Dramamine) and is also sold as a prescription drug under the name "Antivert."

Hank

Dramamine now has a less drowsy formula. After years of using the patch ( with dry mouth and tiredness first day or two) we tried the dramamine and never will go back. I believe there is a child dosage, but may want to talk with the pharmacist. Another deciding factor was our ins quit paying for the patch. We used to get 10 patches for oyr 11 dollar copay, but when ins stopped coverage it went to 150$. Dramamine was 3.84$ at walmart for 8 pills which is one week for one person. No brainer there.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Dramamine now has a less drowsy formula. After years of using the patch ( with dry mouth and tiredness first day or two) we tried the dramamine and never will go back. I believe there is a child dosage, but may want to talk with the pharmacist. Another deciding factor was our ins quit paying for the patch. We used to get 10 patches for oyr 11 dollar copay, but when ins stopped coverage it went to 150$. Dramamine was 3.84$ at walmart for 8 pills which is one week for one person. No brainer there.

Hi cruising buddy! :D

Does the Dramamine make you drowsy if you only take it at night? Do you usually take it every night?

Being a first time cruiser we don't know if we will get sea sick or not. We don't get motion sickness at all but I want to be prepared. Thinking about the sea bands too since I used something similar for morning sickness (16 years ago!!!) and it helped a lot.

Do you start taking the Dramamine before you get onboard?

Thanks! :)

We have been on 16 cruises and have always used the "patch". We also drank while using the patch. One or two glasses of wine or one or two martinis with no side effects. But everyone is different.

On our last September cruise we both lost our patches when we washed our hair and never realized that we had lost it until two days later.

This last cruise (December) we bought the sea bands that has a button type thingy that puts pressure on your wrists and they seem to help just as good as the patch. They are reusable and can be worn while swimming or bathing so I guess we will be using the sea bands from now on.

I had NO idea the patch was prescription!! I've heard so many people mention it, I just assumed it would be OTC. Well, you know what they say about assuming. :o

Thanks for the heads up...I'm off to the drugstore to talk to my pharmacist about something OTC that is safe for my 6 year old!

The scopolamine patch comes in only one strength. It's not recommended for children. There are some serious side effects from it. I'd consider it only as a last resort (and then only for adults).

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/scopolamine.html

My husband (5'10", 190 pounds) had blurry vision, dry mouth, and some disorientation the first time he used it.

It's anticholergenic. No see, no pee, no spit, no $h!t...those are your side effects. (I'm nursing student, that's how I remember them. LOL) Dramamine, Bonine all have the same side effects. They're just stronger with a patch.

I had NO idea the patch was prescription!! I've heard so many people mention it, I just assumed it would be OTC. Well, you know what they say about assuming. :o

Thanks for the heads up...I'm off to the drugstore to talk to my pharmacist about something OTC that is safe for my 6 year old!

You can give your 6 y/o Children's Benadryl aka diphenhydramine. Not only does it work for allergies, but it also works for motion sickness. I would give it at night though because it tends to cause sleepiness. If you do give Benadryl or any other motion sickness med, make sure to follow the correct dosage or less. Giving too much to children can overly sedate them.

Edited by AmandaBlue
typo

If you'd rather avoid a medication remedy there are always ginger pills, crystallized ginger, and ginger candy, have a strong ginger ale drink. Ginger helps with nausea. Also, if you find yourself with a bit of a troubled tummy go to the buffet and get a green apple. Actually the acid in the apples counteracts the acids churning in the stomach.

All these are a great natural remedy without the bad side effects. :)

If you'd rather avoid a medication remedy there are always ginger pills, crystallized ginger, and ginger candy, have a strong ginger ale drink. Ginger helps with nausea. Also, if you find yourself with a bit of a troubled tummy go to the buffet and get a green apple. Actually the acid in the apples counteracts the acids churning in the stomach.

All these are a great natural remedy without the bad side effects. :)

What about Bonine/Dramamine (less drowsy formula)? Does it make you sleepy during the day even if you just take it at night? I don't want to be a zombie my whole cruise!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Less drowsy dramamine does not make you sleepy. We have taken it in the day and had no problem, so taking it at night you really should nit experience sleepiness. After being a patch user for 20 plus years, then trying the less drowsy dramamine, I will never go back to patches. Easier and cheaper and less side effects, and there is nithing to lose when snorkeling:)

Less drowsy dramamine does not make you sleepy. We have taken it in the day and had no problem, so taking it at night you really should nit experience sleepiness. After being a patch user for 20 plus years, then trying the less drowsy dramamine, I will never go back to patches. Easier and cheaper and less side effects, and there is nithing to lose when snorkeling:)

Do you have to start taking it before you board ship or only if you start feeling seasick? We don't get motion sickness but cruising is new to both me and my DH. Thanks! ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by rileylewis

You can also get child-sized sea-bands (also good for adults with small wrists).

I LOVE sea-bands!

I have used the patch, but does make me dizzy for the first few days. If you do try it, just be very aware of your body and how you're feeling. A friend of mine passed out in the public bathroom on the ship and her 6 year old had to get help.... not to scare you, but the medical staff swore it was because of the patch.

If you read the list of POSSIBLE side effects for just about any medication, you'll be tempted never to take anything. I've used the patch many times with absolutely no side effects. Others have not had good experiences with it. Anyone considering the various seasickness remedies would do best to consult their doctor.