Engine Update?

JES4845

Any news on the SD1 engine front? Seem to recall a report that SD and/or guests had said the replacement from India to Dubai to San Juan was to have been installed this past week. Looking at the SD1 track this week on marinetraffic.com it looks like the max speed has been 8 to 9 knots. For the marine experts here doesn't that mean it is likely she is still running on only one engine?

Any news on the SD1 engine front? Seem to recall a report that SD and/or guests had said the replacement from India to Dubai to San Juan was to have been installed this past week. Looking at the SD1 track this week on marinetraffic.com it looks like the max speed has been 8 to 9 knots. For the marine experts here doesn't that mean it is likely she is still running on only one engine?

Yes, most likely. The crankshaft replacement is not a one day (or even one week) type of job. It is very extensive. And motion of the ship can cause some delays in that it is hazardous to move very heavy, very delicate precise parts when the ship is rocking and rolling. When all parts are replaced and all lines and piping hooked back up, there is a running in procedure that has to be followed before normal use can begin. The link provided by Frequent Traveler spells it out very well.

Replacing the crank will be a nightmare, it is hard enough on a standard car engine, never mind a thirty year old well worn marine engine. The tolerances will be a major problem, a new crank with well worn everything else........this job will have to be done very gently by very experienced engineers.

The repair can be done while the yacht is underway. It would likely be faster if done while in dry dock but SD would lose revenue for taking the yacht out of service. I am really surprised they were able to get the new crankshaft on board while in San Juan. Typically for a boat that size a hoist is required and the dock for SD didn't seem equipped nor did SD have an obvious place of entry above water. If all goes well, SD I could be back to full speed by the crossing. But there are a lot of variables. And it would be a miracle if the repairs are completed within 3 weeks from the date of commencement.

The repair can be done while the yacht is underway. It would likely be faster if done while in dry dock but SD would lose revenue for taking the yacht out of service. I am really surprised they were able to get the new crankshaft on board while in San Juan. Typically for a boat that size a hoist is required and the dock for SD didn't seem equipped nor did SD have an obvious place of entry above water. If all goes well, SD I could be back to full speed by the crossing. But there are a lot of variables. And it would be a miracle if the repairs are completed within 3 weeks from the date of commencement.

Has anyone on board or recently on board seen a very large crankshaft being loaded? I would love to have seen the operation getting it into the engine room. Having done it before, all I can say is glad I didn't have to do it!!:eek::D

I'm currently on seadream 1 and can report the word on board is they are working on the engine. I haven't seen or heard anything out of the ordinary to be able to verify this but do believe them. I Was on the B2B when the engine went out and can reassure every one seadream seems to be back to the Seadream we all love. We have not had any issues so far this week, the internet is working(still slow but working), we even have cnn! I wish it was fox and a few more stations but baby steps. They are doing daily maintenance on the yacht just as usual not waiting on dry dock. It is in great shape just in need of what you would expect after so many years.

I do agree that the wine selection seems to get worse each time we get on and have noticed other areas of cutbacks but that's life and what's important to me may not be important to anyone else.

I don't know why management isn't communicating and think this is a huge mistake. The single engine will not affect any of the Caribbean itineraries and I think you will all be happy with your cruises. The staff is as wonderful as ever.

Many thanks to cwaj on board now for a truly live report. Glad to hear. We all know how hard the crew works regardless of broader conditions and concerns. Read you confirmed the declining wine selections over time as we have as well. You also made a general reference to other cut backs. Some examples would help us all understand the latest in that regard. Thanks again for the on scene reporting! Enjoy St Barth's and the rest of the voyage. With snow falling in DC and single digit temps later tonight I am truly jealous!

I am also on board and must say its on of our best ever. Captian smorzky (spelling) was cleaning my glasses yesterday and today handing out towels - he is a hoot! Love him. The food is great. Miss Mikee and Brian but can't have everything. No vibrations not too many wifi issues. People on the yacht are friendly & the crew are amazing as usual. Topside for dinner in st Barth

Crabbyguy, thanks for your report. What can you advise on wine and liquor selections onboard in light of a recent report that at least the wine was pretty low grade stuff and they were charging separate for premium vodka like Grey Goose?

Crabbyguy, thanks for your report. What can you advise on wine and liquor selections onboard in light of a recent report that at least the wine was pretty low grade stuff and they were charging separate for premium vodka like Grey Goose?

I can tell you that the up charge for Grey Goose is not new, it has been going on for at least the past 4 years.

It is now quite a few years since we travelled on Seadream, and just one of the reasons we gave up was that even then there was an upcharge for almost every spirit worth drinking, and the wines were poor - plus they were not willing to give you any choice on what was the wine for the night.

To anyone to whom this matters (like us), think of trying Seabourn, with Grey Goose, several good single malts, Remy Martin etc. all included.

Just returned from SD 1. In regards to the liquor and wines, the French Rose was great. I turned away a Cab one night (just didn't like it) and Lukas brought me another Cab and it was great. I've done this several times and they never say no to bringing me another selection. No upcharge. Don't know about the Vodka but I saw a lot of Goose flowing. Never heard a complaint about an upcharge.

The engine is just not an issue. Everything was running ship shape. It was great. I'd go back on with one engine anytime. Clearly having SD withdrawals

Of course its not an issue running around the VI with a side trip to St. Martin and st. Barths. The distances are so short that you don't need the second engine.

The engine is just not an issue. Everything was running ship shape. It was great. I'd go back on with one engine anytime. Clearly having SD withdrawals

Glad you had a nice trip but an engine down for several months is unlikely to meet anyone's definition of "shipshape".

One engine works with good weather and shorter distances as you just experienced. It goes without saying that as others found out the hard way it doesn't turn out well in bad weather and longer distances. You said elsewhere the captain was open about it and that it entails more than a part. Any sense of what all needs doing and by when they expect it done? Those of the crossing certainly want to know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One engine works with good weather and shorter distances as you just experienced. It goes without saying that as others found out the hard way it doesn't turn out well in bad weather and longer distances. You said elsewhere the captain was open about it and that it entails more than a part. Any sense of what all needs doing and by when they expect it done? Those of the crossing certainly want to know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

JES, did you see the link to a similar repair that was provided by Frequent Traveler? Spells out pretty well what has to be done and time frames involved if all goes well.