Huge LED Screen. thoughts?

Since I haven't cruised with RCI yet, I have no opinions.From reading around in the forums, I notice a lot of dislike for the screen. Just wanted to know what you guys think of it, good, bad, etc.

thanks

Pleasantly surprised by the big screens so far. The volume level during the day has been low enough not to bother us. Watching a football game on Liberty's big screen on Thanksgiving night (2012) was a great experience.

Pleasantly surprised by the big screens so far. The volume level during the day has been low enough not to bother us. Watching a football game on Liberty's big screen on Thanksgiving night (2012) was a great experience.

watching a game with a cruiseful would be great.

The big screens are never noisy. It is always the speakers that are sometimes noisy. :D

Anyways, we had fun watching the Red Sox win one of the World Series games on the Allure last year in the Aqua Theater. OTOH having them in the pool area just seems to me to be more of a "checklist" item rather than something useful. There are no shows on the pool deck where a screen helps (except for bingo I guess), but I would never go there to watch a movie because all of the interruptions that occur. I would not be able to enjoy it.

I don't mind them. I watched the Rose Bowl last year laying in a deck lounge drinking a tropical drink in the Caribbean. Doesn't get much better than that.

On Carnival Freedom in 2007 we sailed down the Grand Canal in Venice to Pavarotti singing on the big screen. That was magical.

Bundled up in blankets one night and watched Top Gun on the pool deck in the Mediterranean.

Actually I just don't notice it much around the pool and it's handy during certain events.

Just on opinion.

I think the screens pretty cool. Great to watch a game or movies under the stars. I can do without the videos they broadcast during the daytime. Really not a make or break thing either way for me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't like them. I would rather hear music when hanging out by the pool. I don't want to watch a bloopers show or a movie during the day. Now using it for movies at night would be great but I didn't see it used for that on our last cruise.

I didn't think it was really loud it's just not the ambiance I'm personally looking for. But everyone is different.

Royal at least seems to use some common sense in their usage and volume. The placement is fair; you do lose some views from higher decks on some ships.

Carnival it is SO LOUD ALL THETIMEYOURHEADJUSTGOESNUMB, yes you can easily get just as annoyed and worn out just being docked next to one. Are they insane?

NCL; I can't comment on how often they use their screens and for what, but I do know the newest big ships have screens at the extreme stern that literally block the view of the water and wake. So, I think that's silly too.

I see the appeal in watching a major sporting event on vacation in a nice party atmosphere. But in general I think they bring something to the vacation experience is of marginal value. If the ships did not have them I think vacations would be more relaxing.

Haven't been on a ship with a big screen on the pool deck yet.. first on this March.

1. What do they play on the screen/speakers during the day?

2. Can you hear it in the Solarium?

You cannot hear it in the Solarium. On Legend, there were lots of Royal Caribbean ads on during the day.

On legend we had a BG'S and Elvis concert, football, screen savers that were really neat, movies,some port info, ship info-speeds and position maps, and other stuff, the sound was great, you could carry on a conversation with no problem

On Legend when we stayed onboard while in port. they showed an undersea video with relaxing piano music. The volume was just right, loud enough to hear but low enough to ignore. I found myself dozing off while laying by the pool. Combo of the sun, music and just being able to do nothing.

I didn't think I was going to like them but found that it doesn't matter one way or the other.

I was impressed with the high quality of the picture on the screen. Even with the sun shining directly on it you could still see it clearly. It is also easy to see from the sides too.

The volume was not too loud either. We could still sit at the tables on the side and talk.

However, in the evening when they were showing movies (that could also be viewed on the TV's in the Cabins) almost nobody was watching. The most we ever saw was 11 kids watching a kids movie.

I liked it on FOS, there are other pools / areas one can go that don't have a screen if that's what you feel like. They make good use of it during events to show live action, like during the belly-flop contest etc. Makes it a lot easier to see.

The main pool does have kind of a party ambiance to it, whereas solarium is there for the quieter experience.There's also a kid's pool area with water features etc.

It's hard to argue with choices.

It was waaaay too loud on Radiance in 2012. It may have something to do with individual sound engineers.

We were recently on Serenade and the volume was much less intrusive. :D

They often show nature videos during the day, like this one, of sharks, swimming above the pool: :eek: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Radiance%20Cruise%202012/72a08c94-e638-49ba-987d-e28dda2c5eee_zpsa3471a1a.jpg

:D

Since I haven't cruised with RCI yet, I have no opinions.From reading around in the forums, I notice a lot of dislike for the screen. Just wanted to know what you guys think of it, good, bad, etc.

thanks

Prior to RCI getting them, I hated them. This was due to frequently being subjected to Carnival blasting rap videos on their screens when leaving port....loud enough to be annoyed from another ship or from a block away in town! However, since seeing them on RCI and realizing RCI isn't using them like that, I like them much better now. :confused:

It was waaaay too loud on Radiance in 2012. It may have something to do with individual sound engineers.

We were recently on Serenade and the volume was much less intrusive. :D

They often show nature videos during the day, like this one, of sharks, swimming above the pool: :eek: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Radiance%20Cruise%202012/72a08c94-e638-49ba-987d-e28dda2c5eee_zpsa3471a1a.jpg

:D

Nice pic.

If you paste in the "IMG" link the pic goes right in the post, like so:

72a08c94-e638-49ba-987d-e28dda2c5eee_zpsa3471a1a.jpg

Nice pic.

If you paste in the "IMG" link the pic goes right in the post, like so:

72a08c94-e638-49ba-987d-e28dda2c5eee_zpsa3471a1a.jpg

Thank you D. I have images turned off in Cruise Critic......so I don't actually know what other posts look like. I will have to turn them on one of these days, so thanks for the information. :)

Or....maybe I'm not missing anything, much: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41372007&postcount=50 :D:rolleyes:

Edited by Coralc