Tipping for room service & PG

travelingduo

We tipped the last time we ate in the PG, however I had to request the waiter to give them the tip. I actually was somewhat embarrassed to have to that. so I not sure if you need to tip them if you have to do that. They were not where around when we decided to leave. I will not go through that again to leave a tip.

There is NO need/requirement to 'tip' in the PG or any other dining venue! The 'tips' are included in the Hotel Service Charge that is added to your onboard acoount, daily! ;)

There is NO need/requirement to 'tip' in the PG or any other dining venue! The 'tips' are included in the Hotel Service Charge that is added to your onboard acoount, daily! ;)

Did anyone say in this thread that there was a requirement? I think pretty much everyone on this board is well aware of how you feel. If you don't want to tip extra then don't. Please don't tell others what they should or shouldn't do. That is their decision.

Can we tip the room service steward or PG waiter in Euros while on a Mediterranean cruise? We won't have any US currency, as we will be coming from Australia.

I could get some USD before we leave, but I doubt that they'd give it to me in ones :rolleyes:.

Also exchange outlets here have a minimum amount. It seems a bit silly to get $200 or so for the sake of 6-10 breakfasts in our cabin.

I think I've answered my own question! Looks like it's Euros or it's nothing! :D

If you bring larger USD the front desk can change it into smaller bills.

What do most people do when you want to tip extra for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? Tip each day or tip at the end of the cruise? I ask because on our last cruise I swear every one of the staff had some part in our breakfast routine. Someone brought coffee, another took our order, someone else brought juice, another staff brought pastries, and one of these wonderful staff brought our food. Leaving one tip seemed impossible to do. We ended up dropping a card w/$$ "to PG Staff" at our last breakfast.

That is exactly what we do. We tip a the end of the cruise and/or the segment of a cruise. It is my understanding that they split the tips so addressing it to the wonderful staff is the best way to do it IMO.

Can we tip the room service steward or PG waiter in Euros while on a Mediterranean cruise? We won't have any US currency, as we will be coming from Australia.

I could get some USD before we leave, but I doubt that they'd give it to me in ones :rolleyes:.

Also exchange outlets here have a minimum amount. It seems a bit silly to get $200 or so for the sake of 6-10 breakfasts in our cabin.

I think I've answered my own question! Looks like it's Euros or it's nothing! :D

If the ship is continuing on in the Med, euros are a very appropriate way to tip. The staff will happily accept just about any currency. They can get it exchanged if need be easily under most circumstances.

While the ship does operate on U.S. dollar, I think any steward you tip in Euro while in the Med will be appreciative for you 'thanking them'. :)

Does anyone know if a portion of the PG and Tamarind cover charges go to the wait staff as a gratuity? For some reason I thought it did but maybe I'm wrong.

No it does not..The cover charge goes only to HAL..

Only the Hotel Service Charge goes to the Stewards who serve you..

Cheers..Betty

Does anyone know if a portion of the PG and Tamarind cover charges go to the wait staff as a gratuity? For some reason I thought it did but maybe I'm wrong.

While other cruise lines do this... HAL apparently does not. This caused confusion for me as well. Their tip apparently comes from the regular pool (ie hotel charge).

Edited by sherilyn70

In retrospect, I think I was confusing the cover charge and the corkage fee. A portion, actually 15%, of the corkage fee does go to the gratuity pool. When the corkage fee was $18, the charge appeared on my receipts as $15.65 plus 15% ($2.35) = $18.

One does not have to 'make a show' when they provide a tip. You would never notice when DH tips in Pinnacle. ;)

I'm not sure I'd spend so much energy carefully watching who was tipping or not...... actually it doesn't matter to me. We tip because we want to; not because anyone else does or does not.

I agree Sail- I fold a bill and quietly pass it to my server each night with a hand shake. For some reason I don't like the thought of leaving it laying on the table. Even in shoreside restaurants there is normally the receipt folder to leave a tip in. Leaving money laying on the table after a great dinner seems like "diner" to me.

At breakfast I leave a tip for "the crew" on the table each morning as I was told once that the breakfast crew pools tips.

I agree Sail- I fold a bill and quietly pass it to my server each night with a hand shake. For some reason I don't like the thought of leaving it laying on the table. Even in shoreside restaurants there is normally the receipt folder to leave a tip in. Leaving money laying on the table after a great dinner seems like "diner" to me.

At breakfast I leave a tip for "the crew" on the table each morning as I was told once that the breakfast crew pools tips.

I heard that once also ... but I've never really had it confirmed. Wish I knew for sure if it was true. It "might" change our strategy of tipping "for the staff" at breakfast on the last morning.

We asked our staff on our med cruise and they told us they prefer euros even. This is because they stay in ports where they can easily use them. It was quite a hassle in the end however, because due to the weather we missed our last euro port, which meant we spend 1,5 days in Harwich. Luckily we found a machine that let us withdraw euros in London.

We asked our staff on our med cruise and they told us they prefer euros even. This is because they stay in ports where they can easily use them. It was quite a hassle in the end however, because due to the weather we missed our last euro port, which meant we spend 1,5 days in Harwich. Luckily we found a machine that let us withdraw euros in London.

This certainly makes sense for ships sailing in Europe. On the other hand, I am sure they would eagerly accept USD as well.

[quote name='RJ2002']This certainly makes sense for ships sailing in Europe. On the other hand, I am sure they would eagerly accept USD as well.[/quote]

[B] Yes, Crew is fine about being tipped in U.S. $$ no matter where the ship. HAL ships operate on U.S. $$.

[/B]

I'm not the grumpy old non-tipper!....but...I don't see why it should be seen as standard to tip the waiting staff in the Pinnacle Grill. We pay extra for most on those evenings, and to be fair, pay well over the odds for the wine. Just saying!;) Edited by richarduk

There has been a misconception for years about the sharing of the pool with the PG staff. Of course they are incl. like everyone. However what we do as we are mostly on longer cruises and eat at PG several times on the last day we fill an envelope with small bills. say we eat there 5 times we would put in say $30 and give it to the Matre'D. He has a staff meeting after every cruise and gives it out to them then. Several others do the same thing. I too have never seen anyone leave anything but as they bring you a folder you can never be sure.

[quote name='jig']I too have never seen anyone leave anything but as they bring you a folder you can never be sure.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I can't remember getting a folder in the Pinnacle. Perhaps I did years ago, when I hadn't pre-paid for the meal, but I don't recall it. I know I haven't seen a folder in recent memory. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]