Chip and Pin Credit Card in US

cruis247g

My DH and I call them 'First World Problems'. And yes, we are fortunate to have these kind of problems.

I signed up for the Chase Marriott Chip and Signature card to use for our Baltic Cruise. If we're not happy, we'll close it but we did use the 70,000 point signing bonus to pay for our hotel in Amsterdam!

I think we should make it clear that there is a distinct difference between a "Chip Signature Card" and a "Chip Pin Card." A card that is only Chip/Signature is fine for most things, but is worthless in certain places (primarily in Europe) where you must have a Pin. Some examples would be parking garage machines, automated gas pumps, some toll booths, train ticket machines, and probably a few other places that insist on having that Pin. Even the Andrews Chip/Pin card always defaults to Chip/Signature as long as that option is available. But when a Chip/Pin is required it will work (as long as you remember your Pin).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am very confused. We will be in Copenhagen and then cruise 4 ports in Norway. Can we use our regular credit cards in these places? We will need it for cab rides, meals, maybe some purchases, the Copenhagen card, the hotel, etc. In Norway we will need it for maybe a meal or purchases. If this won't work can I get a card from Bank of America (my current card carrier) that will work. If this really won't work where do I get a card that will work? I guess we could just take cash, exchange it and pay with currency for everything.

I am very confused. We will be in Copenhagen and then cruise 4 ports in Norway. Can we use our regular credit cards in these places? We will need it for cab rides, meals, maybe some purchases, the Copenhagen card, the hotel, etc. In Norway we will need it for maybe a meal or purchases. If this won't work can I get a card from Bank of America (my current card carrier) that will work. If this really won't work where do I get a card that will work? I guess we could just take cash, exchange it and pay with currency for everything.

I agree that some posts here have been confusing, and I tried to clarify one posting upthread.

A regular credit card should work fine in most of the situations you cited. The only times when you may have a problem in Europe are at KIOSKS. Examples would be train ticket machines, parking machines, etc. You might run across an establishment where the attendant doesn't know how to process a signature card. We had this happen to us once in a fast casual restaurant frequented mainly by locals. The attendant didn't speak English and we didn't speak the language, and we couldn't get her to understand we wanted to sign for the charge instead of using a PIN. We ended up paying cash. However, this was a rare occurrence at an establishment that actually had a person processing the charge.

I didn't want the "Chip and Pin" to be secondary.... Only got this card to use in Europe and elsewhere not the US.

Andrews cu card's primary verification method is chip and sig. Same as Barclays HA card. Both are chip and pin second. Reports for the Andrews at unmanned stations are very good. The only time it would be a problem is some offline unmanned stations. But it is not true first-priority chip and pin, so there is no reason new applicants should get it over the much easier to obtain Barclays HA card.

The only chip and sig primaries in the USA are USAA and BMO/Diners, and one available to NC employees.

Andrews cu card's primary verification method is chip and sig. Same as Barclays HA card. Both are chip and pin second. Reports for the Andrews at unmanned stations are very good. The only time it would be a problem is some offline unmanned stations. But it is not true first-priority chip and pin, so there is no reason new applicants should get it over the much easier to obtain Barclays HA card.

The only chip and sig primaries in the USA are USAA and BMO/Diners, and one available to NC employees.

Regguy, I googled "pin and chip USA" and came up with this website which was recently updated. I don't know anything about the site, and it appears to be somewhat commercial in that it "recommends" certain cards and has direct links to the card issuer, so perhaps there is a financial incentive for the links. At any rate, the site seems to reference additional cards with chip and PIN capability.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

I agree that some posts here have been confusing, and I tried to clarify one posting upthread.

A regular credit card should work fine in most of the situations you cited. The only times when you may have a problem in Europe are at KIOSKS. Examples would be train ticket machines, parking machines, etc. You might run across an establishment where the attendant doesn't know how to process a signature card. We had this happen to us once in a fast casual restaurant frequented mainly by locals. The attendant didn't speak English and we didn't speak the language, and we couldn't get her to understand we wanted to sign for the charge instead of using a PIN. We ended up paying cash. However, this was a rare occurrence at an establishment that actually had a person processing the charge.

Yeah, I tried to lay it out too in post 4 above, but I now fear my post did more harm than good. I'll try again, this time focusing not on the technology, but on the usefulness of the card. For those in the US wanting to use their cards abroad, there are four types of card:

1) A regular credit card with no chip and only a magnetic stripe on the back. Up until recently, this was the standard card issued in the US. You can tell whether or not you have a chip by looking at the card. If you have a chip, it's a little square with some lines in it. You will see it. If you don't, you have a no chip, magnetic stripe only card. This card will cause you problems abroad. It will work many places, but many will not accept it. If you have only this card in your wallet, take lots of cash.

2) A USA issued card with a chip in it, that has only chip and signature capability. The vast majority of cards issued in the USA with chips in them now are this kind of card -- chase sapphire, Amex platinum, BofA's cards with chips, citi, etc. They are all chip and sig. If you got it from one of the major credit card issuers, and it has a chip in it, this is probably what you have. This card will be fine for most travelers who do not stray from the beaten path. It will work in restaurants, hotels, and most places you will go, except for unmanned stations, like ticket kiosks. Also, some vendors have handheld credit card terminals and they are not very educated on these cards and will simply not process your transaction when their terminal doesn't ask for a PIN. The issuers of these cards lie or are misinformed when you call them, and will tell you it has PIN or that you don't need it. But the bottom line is these cards are fine for most uses -- if you have one, you'll be ok, just also make sure you have access to cash and be prepared to wait in lines for tickets instead of being able to use kiosks.

3) A USA issued card with a chip in it that has chip and pin, but has chip and pin as its second priority. There is no way to tell by looking at the card whether it has chip and pin capability. You just have to know. This card will be good for virtually every use you want to make of it overseas, so long as you remember your PIN. For most transactions, it will work as chip and sig card, but in those places where chip and sig doesn't work (see 2 above), it will change to chip and PIN and you will be good to go. There are a very small handful of places you may have problems -- but they will be off the beaten path, like remote toll booths. For cruisers, this card will 99.5 percent of the time work everywhere you need it. There are very few of these available in the USA. Until two weeks ago, the primary one of these was only available to the public through Andrews CU, through a cumbersome process. On 1/1/14, however, Barclays come out with a mass-consumer card with this functionality -- it is their Hawaiian Airlines card.

4) A USA issued card with a chip in it, which has chip and pin as its primary priority. This will work everywhere -- that is, it will work in the .5 percent of places that number 3 above won't. These are very hard to get in the USA. If you have access to the USAA credit union, you can get one. There also are some very small credit unions that have them. Also, you can buy prepaid cards (like from travelex) that work as true chip and pin, but these are a horrible deal.

So, what should you do?

1) If you have only a magnetic stripe card, call your issuer and see if it is available in a chip version. This will be chip and sig and will get you through 90 percent of transactions.

2) If you want chip and pin, get the Barclays HA card. (I don't work for the company, I promise. I just think as the first major bank to issue a mass-consumer chip and pin card, they should be rewarded with our business.) This will get you 99.5 percent of what you need and you can rest assured your card will virtually always work.

3) If you have USAA credit access and don't mind a pain in the butt to apply, get a true chip and pin card, and brag to your friends about how you're one of the only people in the USA that has one.

Regguy, I googled "pin and chip USA" and came up with this website which was recently updated. I don't know anything about the site, and it appears to be somewhat commercial in that it "recommends" certain cards and has direct links to the card issuer, so perhaps there is a financial incentive for the links. At any rate, the site seems to reference additional cards with chip and PIN capability.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

I've seen that page. It has a lot of misinformation. You'd almost think it was written by the banks who want you to think "EMV" and chip and pin are synonyms. If you want the truest, up to date information about which cards are out there and what has what, there is a google spreadsheet maintained as a wiki by flyertalk. Google "flyertalk and EMV cards available in the United States," and you'll get to it.

Edited by Regguy

Keksie-

Last year we had B of A turn our seldom used B of A credit card into one of their new "chip and signature" travel cards. The points on ours can only be used for travel related things but we weren't getting many regular points on the card anyway.This card has no foreign transaction fees and no yearly fee. They have several different cards so talk with them to see what would work best for you. We had NO problems using the card on our Baltic cruise last year and it was great to not have transaction fees. It can be used as a regular card in the USA.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

I've seen that page. It has a lot of misinformation. You'd almost think it was written by the banks who want you to think "EMV" and chip and pin are synonyms. If you want the truest, up to date information about which cards are out there and what has what, there is a google spreadsheet maintained as a wiki by flyertalk. Google "flyertalk and EMV cards available in the United States," and you'll get to it.

Excellent! Thank you for the reminder to check flyertalk, another great travel forum.

Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-chip-signature-2.html

Thanks for all that information, but I still have a couple more. How can you tell whether your card is a regular card with only the magnetic strip, or whether you have a card that's chip and signature? Will the card with a chip and signature still have a magnetic strip?

We will be in Copenhagen and want to use a credit card for a taxi. I've read a post somewhere that the taxi driver insisted they needed a PIN. But then others have posted they used a credit card with no problem for taxis.

Thanks for all that information, but I still have a couple more. How can you tell whether your card is a regular card with only the magnetic strip, or whether you have a card that's chip and signature? Will the card with a chip and signature still have a magnetic strip?

We will be in Copenhagen and want to use a credit card for a taxi. I've read a post somewhere that the taxi driver insisted they needed a PIN. But then others have posted they used a credit card with no problem for taxis.

US chip cards also have the magnetic strip so they can be used in the US. If your card also has a chip, it will be obvious. On the front of the card is a box about one centimeter that looks like a computer chip!

I'm surprised that chip and sig wouldn't be good enough for a taxi, but that's the risk of chip and sig only. It probably depends on what kind of terminal he has.

Edited by Regguy

US chip cards also have the magnetic strip so they can be used in the US. If your card also has a chip, it will be obvious. On the front of the card is a box about one centimeter that looks like a computer chip!

I'm surprised that chip and sig wouldn't be good enough for a taxi, but that's the risk of chip and sig only. It probably depends on what kind of terminal he has.

I just looked over all of my cards, and none appear to have a chip on the front. So I'm not sure what that means for using it in Copenhagen if they are all magnetic strip only.

Bank of America has a travel card that is chip and pin. I think it has no foreign transaction fees but I'm not positive. This is the card that we plan on getting for our Baltics trip this summer.

Yes . We have been using BoAm travel chip and pin travel card for a 3 month world trip that began Jan 01. No problems and no foreign transaction fees. We did have a $1 ATM fee once.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes . We have been using BoAm travel chip and pin travel card for a 3 month world trip that began Jan 01. No problems and no foreign transaction fees. We did have a $1 ATM fee once.

B of A Visa is a Chip and Signature card.... The Pin is for cash advances, now that said you should Beware that the Customer Service folks at B of A don't seem to know the difference between Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature. They are further confused because it has a Pin but remember that us to get Cash from the ATM (cash advance)

It's really gas when the bank employees are clueless about the two different technologies !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

B of A Visa is a Chip and Signature card.... The Pin is for cash advances, now that said you should Beware that the Customer Service folks at B of A don't seem to know the difference between Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature. They are further confused because it has a Pin but remember that us to get Cash from the ATM (cash advance)

It's really gas when the bank employees are clueless about the two different technologies !

COPIED DIRECTLY FROM THE BANK OF AMERICA WEBSITE:

What's the difference between chip & signature and chip & PIN? Does my card have a PIN?

Chip & PIN is a very similar technology, except that you use a PIN to complete a purchase instead of a signature. Both chip & PIN and chip & signature offer enhanced security against counterfeiting compared to traditional magnetic stripe-only cards. Bank of America does not offer chip & PIN technology.

So, how many transactions would you say you have done with it so far using the pin but not sig? And for your pin transactions, what pin did you use? Your cash advance pin?

Don't get me wrong the B of A card does work just like a regular credit card, it just will not work in the Kiosks in train stations, subways and unattended gas pumps.....those places in Europe, that you find when traveling by rail or driving a car rental. These are the places you need the true Chip and Pin, and then of course there is the occasional store clerk that just does not know how to run a Pin and Signature, thankfully that does not happen often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't get me wrong the B of A card does work just like a regular credit card, it just will not work in the Kiosks in train stations, subways and unattended gas pumps.....those places in Europe, that you find when traveling by rail or driving a car rental. These are the places you need the true Chip and Pin, and then of course there is the occasional store clerk that just does not know how to run a Pin and Signature, thankfully that does not happen often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I'm suspicious too, but if the poster is abroad, and claims to be actually using it as chip and pin, I would think that's relevant information. My hunch is the poster is confused, but hopefully he or she will answer. It sounds like the poster is saying he or she has been abroad since Jan 1 and has used it as chip and pin. So, if the cash advance pin works for this card at least some of the time that would be interesting.

See post 39 I copied that off today from the B of A website where they clearly state that they do NOT have Chip & Pin technology. But if you talk to their employees they will swear that they do.

So I'm believing the Official website on this matter. This poster simply has a PIN for use in ATM's

I think all the banks will be jumping on this in the next year or two. The whole target thing I think will be the "straw that broke the camels back".

If you are eligible for membership at USAA, and can get a MC or Visa through them, it is a simple matter to uograde to a chip-and-pin card through them.

My only gripe about that new card is that I'm struggling to memorize a new pin and there is no way to change it!

After much similar searching and looking, we got a chip and pin card from Commerce Bank. No annual fee but it does have forex fees. I had to specifically tell them that I wanted pin and took it to Paris over Thanksgiving. It still defaulted to signature in restaurants/shops that had a human, which was mildly annoying, but it worked perfectly in train and metro kiosks as a pin card, which is exactly what I needed.

The honest answer is maybe yes....maybe no. Europe is set-up for Chip/PIN EMV cards. Using a regular USA issued magnetic strip care will work in many places, and will not work in others. When we want to use a normal US credit card in Europe we will always ask (before spending money) whether they can accept our card. In restaurants, if we do not have enough cash to cover our expected tab, we also ask before we sit down for a meal. We once had dinner in a nice restaurant in Bruge and later discovered that they could not process our normal magnetic strip US credit card. I had to run outside and up the block to an ATM where I could get enough Euros to cover the bill. We now have a legit Chip/Pin card...so this is no longer an issue. Our worst experience was when trying to return a rental car to FCO in evening. We had to drive nearly 8 miles before we found a gas station that still had a clerk that could take cash or a US issued credit card. All the gas stations near the airport were only using automatic pumps which could be operated only for those with Chip/PIN EMV cards.

Hank

After much similar searching and looking, we got a chip and pin card from Commerce Bank. No annual fee but it does have forex fees. I had to specifically tell them that I wanted pin and took it to Paris over Thanksgiving. It still defaulted to signature in restaurants/shops that had a human, which was mildly annoying, but it worked perfectly in train and metro kiosks as a pin card, which is exactly what I needed.

Interesting reading, I went on your banks website and it's too bad they have not more clearly "proclaimed" that they really do have a Chip & Pin card I had to really search and search to find the FINE print that does indeed state that your regular ATM Pin will function in Europe as a Chip & Pin when the card "senses" it needs to be a Pin card!

Your bank offers a great product just too bad they do such a poor job explaining the differences and benefits!

Just to be sure it's "Commerce Bank" and seems to be in the Kansas area??

See post 39 I copied that off today from the B of A website where they clearly state that they do NOT have Chip & Pin technology. But if you talk to their employees they will swear that they do.

So I'm believing the Official website on this matter. This poster simply has a PIN for use in ATM's

I think all the banks will be jumping on this in the next year or two. The whole target thing I think will be the "straw that broke the camels back".

Bank of America has several cards that have an emv chip. One of them is their travel rewards card. It has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees and a puny rewards program. HOWEVER...

Like many of the American banks, the cards are called chip ad signature cards. They do not require a pin. Instead, when inserted in the card reader, they print out a receipt for you to sign. In theory, they will work at every pos (point of sale terminal) where there is a human being processing the card. The operative words are in theory. There is a degree of controversy regarding these cards. Some merchants refuse to process them once the receipt prints no matter what visa/mc say that they are obligated to do so because they feel their liability is increased by accepting a non pin card in a pin terminal. In some cases, the terminal asks for a pin. Sometimes the cash advance pin works (you can request a cash advance pin on this card which would be used in an ATM which is basically a no non because of the fees). Some say no need to enter a pin just press the green button. Some say to enter 0000. We get mixed answers to this.

So the answer is a definite maybe. There are banks that issue chip and pin cards but there are other associated problems with some of them described elsewhere.

It is not surprising the csr's don't have a clue. They rarely do.

Yeah, I tried to lay it out too in post 4 above, but I now fear my post did more harm than good. I'll try again, this time focusing not on the technology, but on the usefulness of the card. For those in the US wanting to use their cards abroad, there are four types of card:

1) A regular credit card with no chip and only a magnetic stripe on the back. Up until recently, this was the standard card issued in the US. You can tell whether or not you have a chip by looking at the card. If you have a chip, it's a little square with some lines in it. You will see it. If you don't, you have a no chip, magnetic stripe only card. This card will cause you problems abroad. It will work many places, but many will not accept it. If you have only this card in your wallet, take lots of cash.

2) A USA issued card with a chip in it, that has only chip and signature capability. The vast majority of cards issued in the USA with chips in them now are this kind of card -- chase sapphire, Amex platinum, BofA's cards with chips, citi, etc. They are all chip and sig. If you got it from one of the major credit card issuers, and it has a chip in it, this is probably what you have. This card will be fine for most travelers who do not stray from the beaten path. It will work in restaurants, hotels, and most places you will go, except for unmanned stations, like ticket kiosks. Also, some vendors have handheld credit card terminals and they are not very educated on these cards and will simply not process your transaction when their terminal doesn't ask for a PIN. The issuers of these cards lie or are misinformed when you call them, and will tell you it has PIN or that you don't need it. But the bottom line is these cards are fine for most uses -- if you have one, you'll be ok, just also make sure you have access to cash and be prepared to wait in lines for tickets instead of being able to use kiosks.

3) A USA issued card with a chip in it that has chip and pin, but has chip and pin as its second priority. There is no way to tell by looking at the card whether it has chip and pin capability. You just have to know. This card will be good for virtually every use you want to make of it overseas, so long as you remember your PIN. For most transactions, it will work as chip and sig card, but in those places where chip and sig doesn't work (see 2 above), it will change to chip and PIN and you will be good to go. There are a very small handful of places you may have problems -- but they will be off the beaten path, like remote toll booths. For cruisers, this card will 99.5 percent of the time work everywhere you need it. There are very few of these available in the USA. Until two weeks ago, the primary one of these was only available to the public through Andrews CU, through a cumbersome process. On 1/1/14, however, Barclays come out with a mass-consumer card with this functionality -- it is their Hawaiian Airlines card.

4) A USA issued card with a chip in it, which has chip and pin as its primary priority. This will work everywhere -- that is, it will work in the .5 percent of places that number 3 above won't. These are very hard to get in the USA. If you have access to the USAA credit union, you can get one. There also are some very small credit unions that have them. Also, you can buy prepaid cards (like from travelex) that work as true chip and pin, but these are a horrible deal.

So, what should you do?

1) If you have only a magnetic stripe card, call your issuer and see if it is available in a chip version. This will be chip and sig and will get you through 90 percent of transactions.

2) If you want chip and pin, get the Barclays HA card. (I don't work for the company, I promise. I just think as the first major bank to issue a mass-consumer chip and pin card, they should be rewarded with our business.) This will get you 99.5 percent of what you need and you can rest assured your card will virtually always work.

3) If you have USAA credit access and don't mind a pain in the butt to apply, get a true chip and pin card, and brag to your friends about how you're one of the only people in the USA that has one.

Mostly good info. Just to add a couple of things or better to clarify. USAA does have a maswtercard that is a true chip and pin card. As of last summer, it was only available on its mastercards but that may have chanted or is about to change. An article I read says USAA intends to issue all its cards with emv chips in the near future but is unclear whether they will be chip and pin or chip and signature. However, be aware USAA mastercard charges a 1% foreign transaction fee for all purchases processed outside the USA (or at the very least a 1% foreign currency fee, not sure which). Not bad but there are several credit cards that have 0% foreign transacton fees.

Now Barclays USA is indeed offering a card they claim is chip and pin on its Hawaian Airlines card. But, as with the cards issued by Andrews FCU, Pen Fed FCU and State Department FCU, it is chip and signature priority. That is in manned pos transactions, it functions as chip and signature. It will work in unmanned kiosks as chip and pin like the fcu cards. the problem is that there are merchants who in violation of their agreements with mc/visa refuse to process a chip and signature transaction with these cards under the mistaken belief their liability for fraud is increased if they don't use a pin and the catch is you can't tell the merchant or have the card fall back on chip and pin if the terminal accepts chip and signature. Barclay will be issuing emv cards on its arrival line of cards sometime this year but will be starting with the premium cards with annual fees and will not issue the emv cards for us peasants who refuse to pay annual fees until the third quarter of the year according to their blog. But it will be the same as the Hawaian Airline card; chip and signature priority with chip and pin fall back. That seems to be the direction the American banks are going.

Finally as a matter of informtion, a small credit union in the NYC area, UNFCU has now opened up membership to others than just UN employees if they join an organizaton pushing the UN for $25/year (think of it as the annual fee). It is a true chip and pin card unlike the cards described above.

Hope this clarifies a couple of issues raised here.

Guess we need to explain this again (have done it in other posts). The EMV Chip (which is necessary for a Chip/PIN card) has various pieces of date encoded onto the Chip (it cannot be changed). One piece of data is whether the card defaults to the Pin option or the signature option (Chip/PIN cards can be programmed for either default option). In the USA, the few issuers of true EMV Chip/PIN cards (such as Andrews Federal Credit Union) have chosen to program the default to the "Signature" mode since it costs the financial institution less money to process a Signature transaction versus the PIN transaction. However, if the terminal used to process the transaction is set to accept PIN only (like at an automatic gas pump, some restaurants, etc) then the Pin does work and the terminal will request the user to input their Pin.

But, and this is the big but, some cards issued in the USA that are called Chip/Signature cards (even those with a compatible EMV Chip) may or may not have the Pin function enabled...or the user may not have ever received their PIN. In that case, the card will be worthless at terminals that only accept the PIN function.

To complicate matters even more, if you have one of those so-called Chip/Signature cards and call the issuing bank's customer service, there is a good change they will not have a clue to what I have described or to whether their card will actually work at a European Chip/PIN terminal. These banks really need to update their "scripts" so they can answer the questions, but for whatever reason they have been slow to train their reps and update the scripts.

Hank

P.S. We realize this info is somewhat redundant to info in other posts (including mine) but the nature of CC is that one must repeat themselves again and again and again for the readers that either do not bother to read all the posts or are unable to easily absorb what they read :)

Edited by Hlitner