Celebrity Silhouette VS RCCL Freedom class (family with 12 &14 yo)

jmmcruiser

Looking to book Celebrity for the first time! We are past RCCL cruises. We've been on ALL three of the Freedom class ships. I know the DW and I will love it. I'm ready to pull the trigger and book a 2104 Spring Break cruise 3/23/14. I was so excited but now I'm getting wet feet. The kids love to cruise, all aspects of it. Love getting all dressed up and being served a formal dinner. I guess I'm concerned they are going to not find as much to do, I know they won't be board, I'm just concerned they will not love Celebrity. They would do the flow rider wave ride a bit, but never did rock climbing, basketball or really much of the other outdoor activities RCCL has to offer. They love to swim on sea days. We also really like the Royal Promenade on the RCCL ships. How does the feel of the shops and bars and restaurants compare on Celebrity vs RCCL promenade?

Thanks!

To be honest, If I were a kid, I'd be bored on a Celebrity ship.

Some pools are only for +16, there is no climbing wall or flowrider or F1 simulator, there is also no waterslide and most entertainment is geared towards adults.

There is no centrum promenade onboard Silhouette, but she does have a beautiful Atrium and a good amount of shops.

I have heard though that the Children's programme is very good.

If you compare the photographs of Silhouette with the Freedom Class Ships- you are going to see that it is a bit more upscale and it is definitely a bit more formal than Royal. Think polo shirts instead of wife-beaters.

If you are cruising during spring break, there will be plenty of kids on board and the youth program is great. Your twelve year old may not like being with the teens though- mine did not. Your 12 year old will be able to join the younger kids in the Fun Factory instead if you want to do that. Royal also has the same age grouping- Adventure Ocean also has a group for 12 and up. It is so important that they go to the youth program on day one to meet the counselors and you can discuss with them where your 12 year old might feel more comfortable. During the day the teen center is quiet, unlike the Fun Factory where there are always lots of kids.

There is no promenade like on Royal. The shops on Celebrity are the typical clothing, sundries, jewelery, liquor stores.

The pools are equally good on Celebrity but again look at the pictures because they are not "kiddy" pools. They are big pools, hot tubs and a cool geyser/fountain area.

The food and service are topnotch on Celebrity. Bistro on Five will be a big hit with your kids ($5pp surcharge) with the made to order crepes. Loved it there- go on the first day when you board for lunch.

Qsine is really a great restaurant and I know that you kids will enjoy it. It's whimsical, fun and casual. The price is $45 a person but they offer deals on this if it isn't getting booked up.

There are family games that you can all do together from pictionary to trivia. Family scavenger hunts. Family and teen disco parties.

The teens were having a great time on Celebrity.

It isn't casual though like Royal. It isn't a noisy ship where it's ok to run through the halls and that sort of thing.

Give it a try- I think you will have a great time as a family.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I'd stick with Silhouette. I haven't been on the Silhouette, but have been on the X Summit 2x (upcoming 3rd in April) and the Freedom. All with the kids.

Celebrity is the better line IMO. My children said they even preferred the Summit to the Freedom. The older ones, 15 and 18 at the time, said they noticed a difference in the service, food and overall refinement compared to RC. I was shocked. My youngest, 7 and 9 at the time, said he liked the kids club better on Celebrity. Since the kids are getting older, we don't find that we need a total kid friendly environment anymore. It actually annoys us and the kids agree as well.

The only thing my older ones did that X doesn't have was the flow rider. They didn't do anything else on the Freedom. The younger one liked the arcade and that's all. We went in once for a few minutes and then I put a stop to it. We didn't cruise to spend extra money or time in an arcade.

I did like the Royal Promenade to stroll or people watch in the evening, but the kids could have cared less. They just utilized it to walk through or to grab Sorrentos or Ben and Jerry's. We can get B&J and better pizza at home so I don't consider this a must on a cruise for the kids IMO.

If your kids really like getting dressed up and formal, they will definitely notice the more elegant environment on celebrity along with the food. The S class ships are even more elegant from what I hear and see in pictures than the Summit we've sailed. The Entertainment is better on RC. There is more but I found it to be very good on Celebrity and it was enough for us that we weren't bored. The kids even agreed that the entertainment was adequate enough for them.

I found the bars and lounges to be nicer and classier in appearance on Celebrity. Again, the reviews and pictures from the S class ships are much nicer than the Summit we've sailed, and I thought the Summit was better than Freedoms bars and lounges.

I did not care for the pools on the Freedom at all. Just not relaxing or serene. They were the worst of all the ships I've been on including carnival. At least carnival has the serenity.

Another thing I found is I felt less at sea on the Freedom compared to any other ship I've sailed too. There was less open space.

Lastly, I find celebrity to be more competitively priced than the Freedom or Oasis class. I paid the most ever for a spring break cruise than I did on Celebrity during the holidays.

I think you should definitely give it a try, and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Edited by Want2Cruise 701

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate all the opinions. Our kids never did the kids club on RCCL after day one, they did there own thing. Want2cruise I agree with many of the points you made. The sky high prices on RCCL cruises for spring break is a big reason. I just talked to the kids they are doing the happy dance, I think we will book, thanks.

Qsine is really a great restaurant and I know that you kids will enjoy it. It's whimsical, fun and casual. The price is $45 a person but they offer deals on this if it isn't getting booked up.

Agree with all of the recommendations here and just wanted to mention that you should try to get a 50% off deal at Qsine the first night of the cruise (go there right after you board or after lunch and ask if they can do a 50% discount that night, tell them your friends on Cruise Critic said they got it). The menu is on an iPad, and the food is great and very unusual (but in a good way). Your kids should love it.

Edited by MisterBill99

Looking to book Celebrity for the first time! We are past RCCL cruises. We've been on ALL three of the Freedom class ships. I know the DW and I will love it. I'm ready to pull the trigger and book a 2104 Spring Break cruise 3/23/14. I was so excited but now I'm getting wet feet. The kids love to cruise, all aspects of it. Love getting all dressed up and being served a formal dinner. I guess I'm concerned they are going to not find as much to do, I know they won't be board, I'm just concerned they will not love Celebrity. They would do the flow rider wave ride a bit, but never did rock climbing, basketball or really much of the other outdoor activities RCCL has to offer. They love to swim on sea days. We also really like the Royal Promenade on the RCCL ships. How does the feel of the shops and bars and restaurants compare on Celebrity vs RCCL promenade?

Thanks!

Celebrity generally is for my grandpa. All the environement invites you to sit and talk.

Extra charge restaurants are way above RCI Freedom class.

MDR and free alternatives are somewhat close.

The buffet is better on Celebrity. At least it's not closed by 9 PM .

Celebrity Silhouette is smaller, less spacious.

RCI Freedom class is incomparably better designed and planned. Axial planning and divided engine uptakes on RCI is a huge advantage.

All balcones on the Freedom class have no obstructions. On the Silhouette it's a pain.

The Silhouette can only dream of the vast wrap-aroung promenade deck on RCI.

Open pool area for kids is not separated from the adults zone on Celebrity.

Actually the Fereedom class is a "modern luxury" in comparison. :D

If you want to sample Celebrity look at the Eclipse - their best ship. The Silhouette has lost "signature" amenities of the original Solstice class.

Celebrity generally is for my grandpa. All the environement invites you to sit and talk.

Extra charge restaurants are way above RCI Freedom class.

MDR and free alternatives are somewhat close.

The buffet is better on Celebrity. At least it's not closed by 9 PM .

Celebrity Silhouette is smaller, less spacious.

RCI Freedom class is incomparably better designed and planned. Axial planning and divided engine uptakes on RCI is a huge advantage.

All balcones on the Freedom class have no obstructions. On the Silhouette it's a pain.

The Silhouette can only dream of the vast wrap-aroung promenade deck on RCI.

Open pool area for kids is not separated from the adults zone on Celebrity.

Actually the Fereedom class is a "modern luxury" in comparison. :D

If you want to sample Celebrity look at the Eclipse - their best ship. The Silhouette has lost "signature" amenities of the original Solstice class.

Just an FYI to future readers: Cruisetrail has been on an anti-S class ship campaign since I can remember, so take that into account when evaluating this information.

Thanks!

My boys a bit older 16,16 & 20. We did the RCI Navigator (no flow rider) for the med & did the Constellation this summer for Scandinavia & the Baltics and the Silhouette this Christmas. This summer it was a 12 day cruise so less young kids but a very good number of kids my boys ages. They had a great time - granted this summer was port intensive. Christmas was a ton of kids - will be like that spring break and again they had a great time and hung with a great group of kids they stay in touch with. They have the xbox 1 which the boys liked and activities. My boys love formal night too and we ate at the lawn grill twice their favorite

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just an FYI to future readers: Cruisetrail has been on an anti-S class ship campaign since I can remember, so take that into account when evaluating this information.

Nonsense.

Were those who designed the ship on an anti-S class camapaign too? :D

We are Celebrity cruisers but brought our kids (ages 10 and 13) on their first cruise on a Freedom class RCL ship, since we thought they'd enjoy the flowrider, rock wall, basketball, mini golf.

We did play mini golf once, and climbed the rock wall once. We watched people on the flow rider, but neither kid wanted to try it. On sea days, the kids wanted to hang out next to the pool, and read with us. They loved being about to go to the buffet anytime and grab a snack, and they loved the attention of the waiters in the MDR. They loved just sitting on our aft balcony watching the waves and playing cards. They weren't interested in the kids' clubs or sports activities as much as I thought they'd be. I said to my husband, "We could've taken them on Celebrity!"

So it depends on your kids. If they tend to be a little more mature and enjoy a quieter pace, I think they'll do just fine on Celebrity!

Edited to add: We haven't sailed on the S class yet, but we're headed out on Silhouette in two weeks (without the kids). I'm planning on a photo review when we get back, I'll be sure to post back and let everyone know whether I think our kids would have enjoyed it.

Edited by micmacmissy

I'll just throw in my 2 cents. Good comments so far from several folks. As usual Rebeccalouiseagain sums up my opinion quite well. We just booked the Silhouette for Christmas and our girls will be 18 and 13. It will be their 5th time on Celebrity. We also tried the Mariner OTS once (no flowrider). It was a fun change of pace but X is more our style.

Our kids have loved being on X, but it all depends on expectations and what you want from a cruise. Our kids have gone to the kids/teen programs (this will be the first time our older DD will be too old:() to meet others their same age. They're happy hanging out, relaxing, people watching, shore excursions with us, etc. Honestly they're not even into the pools. Rather than being bored, they actually enjoy the break from their own busy, technology driven daily lives. They love sea days with nothing on the agenda!

We took our kids on their 1st cruise in 1992, and their 1st Celebrity sailing on the Zenith in 1995, they have been on 6 different lines over the past 25 years, now 30 and 37 years old. Took our DD with us on the Freedom in 2011, she has not sailed Celebrity since Dec 2000! And has worked on ship for RCCL. Celebrity is still her favorite cruise line :)

You hold the pen that draws the memories they keep. You and they will hold X as the benchmark for future cruises. Go, enjoy, we always have.

rebeccalouiseagain...

Love the polo vs wife-beater comparison! I'd like to think we are the former.;)

Had a good laugh at this as well. I'm D+ on Royal, Elite on X. No wife beaters in my closet lol! No big differences in the two cruise lines IMO. Both are good mass market lines.

You will never know unless you try. People can tell you many things but it is your family and only you may know what they like.

When I was 16 I would have been thrilled if my parents could have afforded take

me anywhere.

💨🌴

I'll just throw in my 2 cents. Good comments so far from several folks. As usual Rebeccalouiseagain sums up my opinion quite well. We just booked the Silhouette for Christmas and our girls will be 18 and 13. It will be their 5th time on Celebrity. We also tried the Mariner OTS once (no flowrider). It was a fun change of pace but X is more our style.

Our kids have loved being on X, but it all depends on expectations and what you want from a cruise. Our kids have gone to the kids/teen programs (this will be the first time our older DD will be too old:() to meet others their same age. They're happy hanging out, relaxing, people watching, shore excursions with us, etc. Honestly they're not even into the pools. Rather than being bored, they actually enjoy the break from their own busy, technology driven daily lives. They love sea days with nothing on the agenda!

I just did a Christmas cruise on Silhouette with my 3 boys 16,16 & 20 and doing New Years next year. Do not worry about your 18 year old there will be a lot of young adults on the cruise & Celebrity is rolling out Generation next for young adults 18-24 with activities just for them. My oldest did not lack others his age last summer or at Xmas

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will never know unless you try. People can tell you many things but it is your family and only you may know what they like.

When I was 16 I would have been thrilled if my parents could have afforded take

me anywhere.

💨🌴

I agree! Kids today has more to do and enjoy than ever before. All we had was a ball and our bikes.

Enjoy your trip with your kids.

I just did a Christmas cruise on Silhouette with my 3 boys 16,16 & 20 and doing New Years next year. Do not worry about your 18 year old there will be a lot of young adults on the cruise & Celebrity is rolling out Generation next for young adults 18-24 with activities just for them. My oldest did not lack others his age last summer or at Xmas

Thanks Lawblond7. It's good to hear about Generation Next. When we were on the Sapphire Princess Xmas cruise, they had something called Club 1820 to get the 18-20 year olds together. I'm glad Celebrity has something similar. I may start a separate thread to ask more about it.

We are family from California with two boys 8 and 10. Last year, we went on EPIC and did the western med cruise. The kids club on EPIC was bad, but on the sea day, the boys absolutley enjoyed the three water slides. They never went to the kids club.

We are seriously thinking about the 7/27 cruise with Silhouette. But really not sure if Silhouette is the right ship or not. I looked at all the ships that sail 7 day European cruises during the monthly of July, there doesn't appear to be any ships probably as fun as the EPIC.

For some of you who have been on the S-class during the summer, do you see a decent amount of kids? Do you see kids hanging out at the pool a lot?

My kids love to eat all kinds of food, and enjoy and do behave properly at restaurants. Do you all see many kids at those specialty restaurants or the staff / fellow cruisers will want to 'avoid us" ?

Thank you!

I've sailed both Freedom Class (Liberty) and Solstice Class (Reflection). DW and I are in our mid forties....we are not grandparents and absolutely love Celebrity. I totally agree with Want2 cruise. Celebrity is the best over all cruise experience and on our Reflection cruise during spring break there were plenty of families with kids of all ages. If your children like the bells and whistles that RCL has, than by all means give it a try but I can tell you that over the past couple years food and service have gone down hill. Both ships have different vibes. If you want class and total 5 star experience do Celebrity. Your wallet will also be happier because Celebrity has better deals. All IMHO.....Celebrity all the way.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 using tapatalk