Hard Liquor Question...

HodgeNNicole

We have friends cruising out of Los Angeles and had a question…. It is pretty clear that you can bring a bottle of wine on board but has anybody brought a bottle of hard liquor on board in LA? I would think one bottle would not be an issue??

Think again. You might want to check out the Princess Liquor policy on their website.

We have friends cruising out of Los Angeles and had a question…. It is pretty clear that you can bring a bottle of wine on board but has anybody brought a bottle of hard liquor on board in LA? I would think one bottle would not be an issue??

Used to be a non issue but the rules changed last year and now it's a no. And LA is strict.

Buy Rum Runners online. These are clear plastic flasks we read about online to bring liquor on board in your luggage. They worked like a champ. Princess still makes a good buck from me every cruise via shore excursions and boutique purchases so I feel completely justified in bringing on board some liquor for afternoon and pm cocktails on the balcony.

Buy Rum Runners online. These are clear plastic flasks we read about online to bring liquor on board in your luggage. They worked like a champ. Princess still makes a good buck from me every cruise via shore excursions and boutique purchases so I feel completely justified in bringing on board some liquor for afternoon and pm cocktails on the balcony.

Bad advice! The scanners used in LA are more sophisticated than ever before. Do you think Princess doesn't know about rum runners? Think again.

I personally wouldn't risk it!

We were just aboard the Royal Princess on Jan 12 and had two bottles of wine (one per each person) on our carry on. They saw the bottles through the scan and searched our carry on.

Mr.QT bought rum and gin on board as we were aware of the new changes.

I enjoyed the wine each night on our balcony as we got ready for supper.

We did buy a bottle of vodka and rum in St.Thomas to take back to Canada and fully expected it to be taken away from us and given back last sea day....we are now enjoying them here in Canada :D

I would not ever try to bring hard liquor onto a Princess ship now

Edited by quincytoo

If we openly declare it at embarkation will Princess always keep it for us until the end of the cruise?

We want to bring a rather fine single malt from UK for my cousin, but we will be meeting him when we get off our 4 day cruise from SF to Vancouver. It would be tragic to have it destroyed.

Thanks.

Princess still makes a good buck from me every cruise via shore excursions and boutique purchases so I feel completely justified in bringing on board some liquor for afternoon and pm cocktails on the balcony.

Totally. In fact, I follow this same principle in all of my business transactions. I figure that since Home Depot is already getting my money for the saw and the lumber, I'm justified in pocketing some nails. The grocery store is getting my money for the frozen pizzas and the cans of soup, so I'm justified in pocketing a few candy bars.

We always pre-order a bottle of Jack Daniels. I can get approx. 8 JD's on the rocks out of a bottle for $26 and this equates to $3.25 a drink. ;) If I buy the same at the bars, it comes to $7.25, so do the math! On our trip to Hawaii, we went thru 2 bottles of JD and 1 bottle of Sky, while enjoying our suite balcony (S703)! We would order OJ with our morning coffee every day and had a Screwdriver in the afternoon! :eek:

totally. In fact, i follow this same principle in all of my business transactions. I figure that since home depot is already getting my money for the saw and the lumber, i'm justified in pocketing some nails. The grocery store is getting my money for the frozen pizzas and the cans of soup, so i'm justified in pocketing a few candy bars.

lol.

Totally. In fact, I follow this same principle in all of my business transactions. I figure that since Home Depot is already getting my money for the saw and the lumber, I'm justified in pocketing some nails. The grocery store is getting my money for the frozen pizzas and the cans of soup, so I'm justified in pocketing a few candy bars.

That's not a fair comparison. Is bringing your own clothes or toothpaste "stealing" from Princess since they have those available in the gift shop? Princess got over $4,000 from us last week (balcony room & onboard account) and we brought one small bottle of Jack - a "loss" of maybe $20-$30 in revenue for them. But I also brought my own deodorant and didn't buy their $7 bottle. :)

If we openly declare it at embarkation will Princess always keep it for us until the end of the cruise?

We want to bring a rather fine single malt from UK for my cousin, but we will be meeting him when we get off our 4 day cruise from SF to Vancouver. It would be tragic to have it destroyed.

Thanks.

That is a very good question and one that I am sure will come up time and time again. We often bring down BC Ice Wine for our friends in the States. Alcohol is something we can't ship out of or into Canada.

Personally I would email Princess and ask them.......stress that the single malt is a gift and ask them the proper protocal.

If they email back saying you can give it to them to hold for the week and they will return it to you then I would print off that email and wrap it around the bottle in case the embarkment staff say no. :D

That's not a fair comparison. Is bringing your own clothes or toothpaste "stealing" from Princess since they have those available in the gift shop? Princess got over $4,000 from us last week (balcony room & onboard account) and we brought one small bottle of Jack - a "loss" of maybe $20-$30 in revenue for them. But I also brought my own deodorant and didn't buy their $7 bottle. :)

Well said. At least someone else can make a fair comparison.

Of course not, as there is no prohibition against bringing your own clothes or toothpaste or deodorant.

Look, everyone can do whatever they want. Fortunately or un, I am not the contraband police and I will (probably) not be on your sailing and (definitely) won't narc you out. I'd just prefer that people who choose not to follow the rules be mum about it and keep their good fortune to themselves lest the public flaunting of the rules spur Princess into draconian measures such as intrusive searching or further price inflation. I'd particularly prefer that people who choose not to follow the rules not attempt to "justify" their doing so with patently ridiculous arguments.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Not really trying to justify anything or cheat anyone. We stayed at a hotel the night before and brought the Jack for that evening. We packed the unused back into our luggage. I certainly could have dumped it in the sink at the hotel.... and would have been fine if Princess had confiscated it. Why waste it, though, unnecessarily?

I doubt Princess employees "destroy" the confiscated product.

Nothing that is said on here by either the pro smugglers or the anti will change the others opinion. Those of us that play by the rules, oh yea and spend way more than 4k on a cruise will continue to do so and those that that feel it is their right to just break the rules a little bit will continue to do the same. Like fighting with a pig. In the end you both get muddy but the pig likes it!

Nothing that is said on here by either the pro smugglers or the anti will change the others opinion.

Agreed, though I don't consider myself a smuggler, more a non-waster throughout all areas of my life. We generally don't smuggle, this was a one-off due to the cruise-eve hotel night with family.

Princess accounting analysts will compare liquor sales pre/post heavy port monitoring/confiscating and if the cost of those employees is less than the increased liquor revenue, they'll keep the heavy enforcement policy. If not, they'll let it go.

Interesting legal point here - if you live in the UK and book your cruise through Princess UK. Under UK law to "permanently deprive someone of their property" is theft. So Princess could hold your bottle and return it to you at the end of your cruise but if they destroy it, then Princess UK would be corporately guilty of committing a criminal offence and the security officer responsible could be arrested for theft if he entered UK territorial waters!

Princess's terms and conditions, whatever they say, do not put them above national laws.

Wonder what the definition of theft is in other countries?

This doesn't mean I approve of smuggling, which is also a criminal offence (though not in this context) ;)

Interesting legal point here - if you live in the UK and book your cruise through Princess UK. Under UK law to "permanently deprive someone of their property" is theft. So Princess could hold your bottle and return it to you at the end of your cruise but if they destroy it, then Princess UK would be corporately guilty of committing a criminal offence and the security officer responsible could be arrested for theft if he entered UK territorial waters!

Princess's terms and conditions, whatever they say, do not put them above national laws.

Wonder what the definition of theft is in other countries?

This doesn't mean I approve of smuggling, which is also a criminal offence (though not in this context) ;)

I'm not sure that's true, or at least not as absolute as you make it out to be. I did a quick google search and this came back regarding a festival in Cornwall next August. http://www.boardmasters.co.uk/tickets/2013-terms-and-conditions/. I would assume that it is not unique.

In pertinent part:

44. Prohibited items for the festival site:

• Glass
  • Any spirits
  • Glass of any kind, including perfume and cologne bottles, beer bottles, jars or drinking vessels
  • Portable laser equipment and pens
  • Megaphones

Any items confiscated will not be available for collection on exit from the festival and will be destroyed.

Thanks.

The way it was explained to me onboard is that they are not in the storage business. If its hard liquor it will be destroyed so I wouldn't chance it. :)

I

The way it was explained to me onboard is that they are not in the storage business. If its hard liquor it will be destroyed so I wouldn't chance it. :)

That only applies to liquor you try to bring aboard at embarkation. If you buy duty free liquor in the gift shop they will store it for you until the end of the cruise. Same goes for duty free liquor you buy at a port.

On our last cruise, I had to laugh at the people lines up into gift shop on the first day waiting to buy booze to take back to their cabins-only to find out that Princess will keep it until the end of the cruise.