Formal Nights - Is the food better in the MDR

MAI

Hey everyone.

We will be sailing on the Radiance of the Seas in just a few short weeks. I have pre-booked the chefs table for the 2nd night, which I now believe to be the first of 2 formal nights.

I was just wondering if I should try and reschedule the chefs table for another night.

Is the food any better in the MDR on formal nights? I have read that lobster tails and escargot are only offered on formal nights. I have also read that this is being phased out on most RCL ships.

We will be sailing out of Australia if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Where did you read this? I think the word "most" is a bit misleading, although it does depend on itinerary and length of cruise as to whether there is lobster tail.

Sorry, I should have been more careful of the words I use.

I don't know where I read it, somewhere on this site. I didn't mean to alarm anyone. This is my first cruise so I have been reading pages and pages of cruising advice.

I think it may have read it in one of the Australian forums, so maybe I should have said ships sailing out of Australia, but I cant be sure.

I may have also been mistaken. After reading the earlier response that free lobster tails were available on the second formal night, I suspect the discussion I read was that the lobster tails were only available at an additional cost in the MDR.

If you like I can go back and edit my first post to remove most. However I would hope someone reading my newbie post would not take anything I have written as true.

"Better" is a judgement call!

My wife and I, for instance, while very adventurous, don't care for lobster or escargot. We do tend to book a specialty restaurant on the first formal night, as we enjoy the experience. We've never done a Chef's Table, but from everything I've heard, that meal would be far better than the MDR, and I wouldn't sweat it.

As others have stated, "surf and turf", i.e. lobster tail, tends to be a second formal night menu item. And yeah, lobster, like the Chops filet, has become an upcharge item most nights in the MDR...

After reading the earlier response that free lobster tails were available on the second formal night, I suspect the discussion I read was that the lobster tails were only available at an additional cost in the MDR...

No problem, no harm done. :) I was just asking where you read it as I hadn't heard that yet. It's not really true, as you now know. If it is going to be served on your itinerary, lobster tail is available free (well, "included in your cruise fare" is how it's worded) on the second formal night, but there is lobster for purchase (and a steak-house quality steak as well) in the MDR. I, personally, decline the lobster tail because I don't like it. But others absolutely do and have several tails for dinner that night.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising! I'm sure you'll have a great time. And I know there is a lot of information to absorb on these boards... no doubt confusing at times. ;):)

No problem, no harm done. :) I was just asking where you read it as I hadn't heard that yet. It's not really true, as you now know. If it is going to be served on your itinerary, lobster tail is available free (well, "included in your cruise fare" is how it's worded) on the second formal night, but there is lobster for purchase (and a steak-house quality steak as well) in the MDR. I, personally, decline the lobster tail because I don't like it. But others absolutely do and have several tails for dinner that night.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising! I'm sure you'll have a great time. And I know there is a lot of information to absorb on these boards... no doubt confusing at times. ;):)

Very confusing, but very exciting at the same time.

I am not particularly concerned by the availability of the lobster, rather the higher quality offerings on formal night. But I get the feeing this is not necessarily the case.

I just thought It would be better to go to chefs table on a night were the options were less enticing.

I think I will keep my reservation at the chefs table and make sure I don't miss the second formal night. I love to get dressed up, and I will dress up for chefs table anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

On Rhapsody (Australia) recently, I didn't notice lobster tail any evening, escargot was available every night.

Thanks Aussie Lad,

I suspected as much. I hope you tried the escargot though.

So if there is no Lobster on the first formal night, what could I expect. Particularly on Australian cruises

Is it mostly just the same menu as a regular night, just everyone gets a little more dolled up. Or is there something a little more special to look forward to?

Its seems to me from this thread that if you (heaven's forbid) won't get lobster tail during the cruise, its a "total loss" and you might as well cancel your booking for this cruise.

The food choice in the RC cruises is so vast, I honestly wouldn't care if there's no lobster tail. I don't remember any dinner at the MDR in which I didn't have something very tasty to eat.

Right, I'm not such a perfectionist and not a very frequent 5 Michlenne star restaurant visitor, but still, to my palate, every dinner was a delight

Its seems to me from this thread that if you (heaven's forbid) won't get lobster tail during the cruise, its a "total loss" and you might as well cancel your booking for this cruise.

Perhaps you and I are reading a different thread here?

The food choice in the RC cruises is so vast, I honestly wouldn't care if there's no lobster tail. I don't remember any dinner at the MDR in which I didn't have something very tasty to eat.

Right, I'm not such a perfectionist and not a very frequent 5 Michlenne star restaurant visitor, but still, to my palate, every dinner was a delight

Thanks for the reply.

Please go back and read my question. The lobster was simply an example. I asked if the food available in the MDR on formal nights was better on formal nights.

I was not complaining about the lack of lobster.

I appreciate that the food in the MDR is if a high standard every night. But I am curious as to wheather RCL do anything special for formal nights. Or is the only difference that people dress nicer which would hopefully improve the atmosphere.

I am looking forward to my cruise. Not just for the food. And I wouldn't dream of canceling just because I can't have lobster.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Please go back and read my question. The lobster was simply an example. I asked if the food available in the MDR on formal nights was better on formal nights.

I was not complaining about the lack of lobster.

I appreciate that the food in the MDR is if a high standard every night. But I am curious as to wheather RCL do anything special for formal nights. Or is the only difference that people dress nicer which would hopefully improve the atmosphere.

I am looking forward to my cruise. Not just for the food. And I wouldn't dream of canceling just because I can't have lobster.

Mai, please don't get me wrong. Didn't mean to be rude or too sarcastic. Its just that the discussion about yes or no lobster tail was amusing.

Honestly, and again, I'm not such a food expert, just like good food, I didn't feel much of a difference on formal nights. Maybe the food was served in a "formal" atmosphere, where everyone dressed up including the staff, but besides that - food was as great as other days to my opinion anyway.

Again, didn't mean to insult or hurt anyone.

Mai, please don't get me wrong. Didn't mean to be rude or too sarcastic. Its just that the discussion about yes or no lobster tail was amusing.

Honestly, and again, I'm not such a food expert, just like good food, I didn't feel much of a difference on formal nights. Maybe the food was served in a "formal" atmosphere, where everyone dressed up including the staff, but besides that - food was as great as other days to my opinion anyway.

Again, didn't mean to insult or hurt anyone.

No offense taken.

I appreciate good food and just don't want to miss out on anything spectacular.

I have resigned that there is too much going on on all cruise ships and I will inevitably miss something.

Just another reason to book another cruise.

My experience is yes the food is better on formal nights. We sailed on the Mariner last year, à transposition cruise. We had beef tenderloin first formal night and lobstertail on second or third night. But this cruise was 2 weeks. I don't know if iT is the same for shorter cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I believe the small lobster is offered on the "Fisherman's Plate" not aware of any "Surf-n-Turf"...or have I missed something :confused:

Ill usually order the Prime Rib along with the fishermans platter which at least USE to be served on the same night and call it "surf and turf" :)

Im not sure if Prime Rib and lobster are still available on the same night and still an option with the new menus though.

There is an upcharge surf and turf available with a maine lobster and filet but you probably already know that :)

Depending on time of year for lobster to caught commercially. On formal night, at least in recent years. to be any better than regular nights, for many cruisers, lobster might be an up grade if it is the complimentary type. If available we, usually order what we want and request a tail apiece to try it.

Please understand we are different form most cruisers and we have always had all the fish and lobster we could eat, caught, processed and cooked by ourselves.