Family cabins widely separated

Just got our cruise documents from our TA for Oasis Feb. sailing. Our family of four is part of a larger group, for which the TA requested cabins be in close proximity. Got our cabin assignments, only to discover we aren't even on the same deck! Any suggestions for dealing with this situation? Our children are over 21, but we really wanted to be closer than two decks apart! My daughter has an anxiety disorder, and really needs to have quick access to us in the event of an "event".

Just got our cruise documents from our TA for Oasis Feb. sailing. Our family of four is part of a larger group, for which the TA requested cabins be in close proximity. Got our cabin assignments, only to discover we aren't even on the same deck! Any suggestions for dealing with this situation? Our children are over 21, but we really wanted to be closer than two decks apart! My daughter has an anxiety disorder, and really needs to have quick access to us in the event of an "event".

You need to communicate with the TA to change staterooms.

Call your TA and see if there are still cabins available. Typically, you should be able to find out your cabin number at booking unless you booked a guarantee rate which gives you a lower rate but allows the cruise line to assign you a cabin within that catagory or better.

If your TA can't get you moved, you might have to switch up who sleeps with who.

Thanks, I contacted our TA. Turns out my DH and I got an upgrade, but our children didn't, hence the difference in deck levels. She has a contact at RCCL for guests with special needs, and said she will see if she can do anything, especially in view of the health issue. If anyone has any other suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Thanks, I contacted our TA. Turns out my DH and I got an upgrade, but our children didn't, hence the difference in deck levels. She has a contact at RCCL for guests with special needs, and said she will see if she can do anything, especially in view of the health issue. If anyone has any other suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Perhaps you can get the old cabin back to be closer to your daughter. Or, pay and have your daughter upgraded to a cabin closer to yours. Or, as noted, change sleeping arrangements so that you can be with your daughter.

For future cruises, you may consider noting “Do not upgrade” on the RCCL site. That way if you have cabins close together you know you will not be moved.

Good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Perhaps you can get the old cabin back to be closer to your daughter.

For future cruises, you may consider noting “Do not upgrade” on the RCCL site. That way if you have cabins close together you know you will not be moved.

I'm not sure there ever was an "old" cabin - we booked a group rate through our TA, and were not given a choice of cabins, just a guaranteed category. We were never given any other cabin assignments prior to getting our cruise documents.

If you are in North America, here's what I'd try now:Look at your current cabin assignments and note the exact cabin category (L or D1, or whatever) for each cabin. Then find a website that shows available cabins on your cruise. Look at the available cabins in your exact categories and see if you can find available ones that are close(or closer) together. (Note: We cannot suggest travel websites here to check availability; if you are struggling to find cabin availability, perhaps post your categories and sail date here...helpful people might look up availability for you and make suggestions). If you do, call the travel agent and ask her to ask RCI to let you swap into those available cabins. Generally US and Canadians are allowed to do this; other countries may have different rules.

I'm not sure there ever was an "old" cabin - we booked a group rate through our TA, and were not given a choice of cabins, just a guaranteed category. We were never given any other cabin assignments prior to getting our cruise documents.

I think your TA did you a disservice. Anytime you book a guarantee cabin you can get stuck anywhere. Since you have issues with needing to be near your children it would have been better to pick your cabins from the beginning. I hope the TA is able to work something out for you.

By the way I have gotten a group rate many times and have always been able to pick my cabin at the time of booking.

If you are in North America, here's what I'd try now:Look at your current cabin assignments and note the exact cabin category (L or D1, or whatever) for each cabin. Then find a website that shows available cabins on your cruise. Look at the available cabins in your exact categories and see if you can find available ones that are close(or closer) together......perhaps post your categories and sail date here...helpful people might look up availability for you and make suggestions).

Yes we are in N. America. We are in categories D7 (the upgrade) and D4 - both Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony, sailing 2/15.

I think your TA did you a disservice. Anytime you book a guarantee cabin you can get stuck anywhere. Since you have issues with needing to be near your children it would have been better to pick your cabins from the beginning. I hope the TA is able to work something out for you.

By the way I have gotten a group rate many times and have always been able to pick my cabin at the time of booking.

I guess I can't complain too much, since the TA is a friend, and is also part of the group...It never occurred to me, however, that we would be so widely separated, since the last two cruises we took were the same arrangement (or so I thought, although it has been 17 years...) and on both of those cruises we were right next to or across the hall from the kids. Maybe because they are older now, or because policies have changed. Or because this is a different cruise line. The TA is doing her best to see if something can be arranged - if not, we'll know better next time - in another 17 years when we're almost 80.

It never occurred to me, however, that we would be so widely separated, since the last two cruises we took were the same arrangement (or so I thought, although it has been 17 years...) and on both of those cruises we were right next to or across the hall from the kids.

I truly hope you get this worked out.

My husband and I cruised with my parents years ago. We both booked the same category Guarantee. My parents ended up all the way aft, and we ended up all the way forward, on different decks. We had a dining linked and everything, that was just the way Guarantees work. Suited my husband just fine, mind you... :rolleyes:

If they upgraded the parents they should upgrade the kids to the same level as well. If your reservations are linked via the SeaPass Card then they should see that you are part of a family and should stick together. I thought there are checks and balances in place to keep people in a group on the same floor.

If they upgraded the parents they should upgrade the kids to the same level as well. If your reservations are linked via the SeaPass Card then they should see that you are part of a family and should stick together. I thought there are checks and balances in place to keep people in a group on the same floor.

TA just informed us that they can give us a cabin on the same deck as the kids, not adjoining or even adjacent by any means, but at least on the same side of the ship, and down the hall a ways. The new cabin is a D5 instead of a D7, and it's the first cabin on the aft angle of the forward hump.

Sorry but just because the parents got upgraded does not mean the "adult" children should also...that has nothing to do with it.;)

TA just informed us that they can give us a cabin on the same deck as the kids, not adjoining or even adjacent by any means, but at least on the same side of the ship, and down the hall a ways. The new cabin is a D5 instead of a D7, and it's the first cabin on the aft angle of the forward hump.

I do not see any available D4's on your sailing, so that cabin might need to stay where it is (unless a D4 opens up in the future...keep watching, sometimes it happens). The other cabin is now a D5, correct? So, the idea will be to swap into the D5 closest to your current D4. Your TA may have already done this, but it might be worth double checking. You can check websites for availability...or if you are comfortable giving the number of your D4, I'll look to see what D5's might be available nearby.