How many ships at pier? / walk-off carrying luggage?

sandiego1

How can I tell how many ships will be at the Port Everglades pier? I want to get an idea about how crowded it will be when we disembark the Island Princess on March 2nd.

Also, are there a lot of stairs? We will do walk-off to try to make an early flight. I'd like to know if I'll be lugging my suitcase down many flights of stairs or if there are escalators/elevators to use.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

How can I tell how many ships will be at the Port Everglades pier? I want to get an idea about how crowded it will be when we disembark the Island Princess on March 2nd.

Also, are there a lot of stairs? We will do walk-off to try to make an early flight. I'd like to know if I'll be lugging my suitcase down many flights of stairs or if there are escalators/elevators to use.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

http://www.cruisett.com

No reason unless your flight is "really" early you may be able to just opt for the earliest departure..luggage pickup is street level with porters to help you and taxi's waiting..there are escalators/elevators in the terminal after customs.

Edited by Ashland

Thanks for the website!

Anyone know about stairs between the ship and customs?

Yes, it is very early. Walk-off is really our only option. Flight is at 10:30, but we have a back-up plan if we miss it. This flight gets us home about 5 hours earlier than our back-up plan.

Will be VERY tight as there are 5 ships in port that day :( My expectation is that we will miss it. Hoping we won't though.

Will be VERY tight as there are 5 ships in port that day :( My expectation is that we will miss it. Hoping we won't though.

What exactly is your concern? Getting a cab? Long lines at the pier, or the airport? You will not be dealing with the other ships, as it's one ship per slip at the terminal, right? Can you tell us more about why you do not think you will make this 10:30 flight? I think you will, especially doing walk-off departure. You are leaving from FLL, yes? The two points are very close to each other, about $13.00 plus tip by cab.

Try not to worry too much about this. I can tell you are already stressed, and you don't want that to spoil your vacation. :(

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Yes, concerned about lines for cab and lines AT the airport. Last time, we got to the FLL airport very quickly (w/o walk-off) since it's so close to the pier. However, the check-in lines to drop off luggage and TSA lines were crazy long. Took forever to get to our gate.

Saw that there are just over 13000 people getting off the 5 ships. Of course, some of them won't be flying. But that's still a big burden on the airport.

We are flying Southwest. Will do early-bird checkin so at least we will have a pre-assigned boarding order. DH was A list, but lost it at the beginning of the yr :(

I'm not too stressed since we have a viable backup plan. I just like to be prepared and know as much info in advance as possible.

I haven't figured out a packing plan yet so if there are a lot of stairs, then it will limit my suitcase choice. W/o stairs, I can pretty much bring as much luggage as I want since I can check 2 bags for free on SWA. I will do laundry on the ship to limit the packing for 15 nights. It's still hard to fit everything in 1 small roll-aboard suitcase. I'm a girlie girl w/ long curly hair so lots of lotions and potions :) And we plan on hiking and snorkeling so there's a bit of gear involved w/ both. 3 formal nights plus daytime and other evening clothes...

But w/ stairs, I will need to be able to carry it myself. I don't want to burden DH in carrying 2 heavy bags down steps.

I am not worried about the outbound side since we are driving to the port. I can bring as much luggage as I want on this end. Just gotta be sure I can handle it all on the way back!

Five ships is an average Sunday at PE. There are several Saturdays with 20-22,000 pax turning over and FLL always manages to cope.

The issue with walking off carrying your luggage is that everyone must have one hand free to hold the handrail on the escalators, or you will be quite firmly directed to join the queue for the one or two slow-moving elevators to take you downstairs to customs. So as you have already realized you will be limited to one roll-aboard suitcase each or else you may not be on your way to the airport any faster than the first group of non-walk off. (And unfortunately your flight is too early to do EzChek so you miss out on the free second bag from Southwest)

Thanks for the info about the escalators/elevators.

SWA allows 2 free bags per passenger, not 1, regardless of EzChek. I think I'll try to pack 1 larger bag w/ wheels for each of us. If we need 3 between the 2 of us, I'll try to use a duffle type that fits on top of the roller bag. That way we will have a hand free for the escalator.

Worst case, if we have to have 3 roller bags, one of us can take the escalator and get in the customs line. The other waits for the slow elevator. I can't remember a vacation where we had 3 roller bags, though. This may be the first time w/ all the formal wear, hiking, snorkeling, warm weather clothes, cooler weather clothes (for first few sea days)...

Thanks for the info. Helps w/ my planning to devise the quickest way off the ship.

A few issues that need to be cleared up here.

First, there isn't one pier at Port Everglades. Rather there are 8 or 9 terminals, in different locations over a large area.

Secondly, 5 ships is not a busy day at Port Everglades. It is maybe even slightly below average. 8-9 is a busy day. 6 is probably average for the Port during the standard weekend day during Caribbean season.

10:30 is a pretty early flight. Just pray ICE isn't slowing things down.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Yeah, you've worked yourself into a tizzy about this, I can read it in your posts. If you say you have a back-up plan, then please do what you can to relax into this situation. I am a seasoned traveller and I know things can and do go wrong; whatever is not in your control can weigh on your mind, but it sounds like you have things in order to do what you can. That's half the battle.

Regarding the lotions and potions (!), I hear you. ;) What I do is take half-full bottles onboard the plane and ship, and then leave what I can behind, whether it is shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, shave gel, etc. Anything I can do to lighten the load on the way home, I will do. You can re-evaluate your clothing; no one will notice if you wear the same outfit on the first and last Formal Night. :)

People self-disembark every day. You'll be fine. :)

www.cruisett.com

No reason unless your flight is "really" early you may be able to just opt for the earliest departure..luggage pickup is street level with porters to help you and taxi's waiting..there are escalators/elevators in the terminal after customs.

I checked the site indicated above and it's showing CARNIVAL FREEDOM is the only ship in port at Port Everglades on Feb.8th .. Is this correct?

From the ship itself to the luggage claim, through customs out to the curb is all ramps and escalators. You won't have stairs up or down.

Consider one larger bag instead of multiple smaller ones, especially the roller ones that don't pull down on your arm/shoulder to make it easier to walk quickly through a crowd.