Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Latest hubby report: Nothing much changed. Docking is likely to happen a little earlier than the 4pm call, but not hugely - he has a luggage tag number 5 and is scheduled for a 3:30-4pm disembarkation. They're doing sea-day activities for the early part of tomorrow, and then the Compass cuts off abruptly at 2pm. Passenger rage seems to have settled down with the declaration of the 50/50 fare refund; the ship is now steaming full-speed home.

I really do think that the media just loves to blow these things out of proportion, especially when it involves the cruise industry.

20% of the passengers having Noro is nothing to sneeze at (pardon the pun) I suppose we should expect a percentage of the other 80% to say they had a great time.

Probably a small percentage...but they'll be on here posting just wait and see. lol

I'm pretty sure if I were on the cruise and didn't get the virus I wouldn't be saying the cruise was great, so I agree with you.

I'm sailing Brilliance 1 week from tomorrow and it's the least excited I've been to go on a cruise in over 20 years. Just bad timing for us.

Edited by styles27

Latest hubby report: Nothing much changed. Docking is likely to happen a little earlier than the 4pm call, but not hugely - he has a luggage tag number 5 and is scheduled for a 3:30-4pm disembarkation. They're doing sea-day activities for the early part of tomorrow, and then the Compass cuts off abruptly at 2pm. Passenger rage seems to have settled down with the declaration of the 50/50 fare refund; the ship is now steaming full-speed home.

I am wondering if the full steam ahead began after the settlement was acceptable to most. No need to have a boatload of angry pax.

Well anyway and of course things like this happen we all know that but anyone who says this was a perfect wonderful incredible cruise is a little off as they can't see reality because it was a cruise that was cut short due to a massive illness onboard

I doubt even rccl will refer to this cruise as stellar so really people should refer to it as what it was.

I saw an article in the Toronto Star of a new invention which cleans operating rooms using vapour. It is extremely effective and gets rid of those superbugs you hear of in Hospitals. Maybe the cruise ships should consider this as a new method for cleaning after an outbreak. Here's the link: http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2014/01/28/canadian_invention_sterilizes_hospital_rooms_with_vapour.html

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

I saw an article in the Toronto Star of a new invention which cleans operating rooms using vapour. It is extremely effective and gets rid of those superbugs you hear of in Hospitals. Maybe the cruise ships should consider this as a new method for cleaning after an outbreak. Here's the link: http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2014/01/28/canadian_invention_sterilizes_hospital_rooms_with_vapour.html

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

That article talks about bacteria, what about viruses? Noro is a virus.

I really do think that the media just loves to blow these things out of proportion, especially when it involves the cruise industry.

20% of the passengers having Noro is nothing to sneeze at (pardon the pun) I suppose we should expect a percentage of the other 80% to say they had a great time.

Probably a small percentage...but they'll be on here posting just wait and see. lol

I'm pretty sure if I were on the cruise and didn't get the virus I wouldn't be saying the cruise was great, so I agree with you.

I'm sailing Brilliance 1 week from tomorrow and it's the least excited I've been to go on a cruise in over 20 years. Just bad timing for us.

Im also sailing on Sunday on the NCL Breakaway. Just in case, I got some good anti nausea drugs from my doctor and bringing Immodium. If I get sick I would report it so that the staff could take precautions cleaning our cabin etc. but Ill be armed with my own drugs!

I agree that for those who didn't get sick, there probably always wondering if and when there going to get it, there probably afraid to touch much and it will have effected their cruise in some ways but there are going to be people who make up their mines that there on a cruise and darn it there going to make the best of it. Some people see the glass as half full and of course we all act differently and view things differently. So, my guess will be varied reviews of the cruise. Some people are naturally optimistic and some pessimistic and some in between. In the end I would put money on the fact that alll of the passengers comment on the amazing job the crew did!!

People have differences of opinions, and seriously, anyone who is on a sick ship like this saying its a 'great cruise' is suspect to me in my opinion as a fraud, or on some really good drugs!

Although, thankfully, I never got norovirus which is far more severe than my situation, I did take a very nasty fall a few years ago on the Voyager. The right side of my chest was bruised from the purell station pole "stabbing" me as I fell. I was more black than blue and I had to ice it repeatedly every 2 hours. Talk about pain! I couldn't go ashore to Belize because of the pain and icing. I lasted one hour in Cozumel and had to return to the ship. I couldn't wear a bathing suit or a bra. I had to get 2 pain shots in the infirmary in addition to strong oral pain meds. It was agony trying to find a comfy position to sleep. It also rained for 2 of the 3 ports. I was in acute pain the 2nd and 3rd day of the cruise and moderate pain until after I got home. Know something? It WAS a great cruise. Wonderful friends were made on that cruise.

If you think the above was based on fraud or some really good drugs, I have a lemonade recipe I can send you.

I hope that people wash their hands after changing a baby, place a disposable pad under the child, and dispose of the soiled diapers properly.

and follow the rules re kids in diapers in the pools

"Vampire Sneezes" :D Unfortunately sometimes it makes your elbow look awful and then you have to go off and find a Kleenex and wash your hands, and your elbow anyway. :rolleyes:

There is no always foolproof solution, unless we all go around wearing silly masks, as they do in some other countries. :D

noticed many were wearing masks when we were on Alaskan cruise, you often see same nationalities wearing them in US Disney parks, figured likely standard methodology where they live. There are many people who are advised to wear masks when traveling if their immunity is compromised, even if they are non-contagious & cleared for travel by their medical providers.

Im also sailing on Sunday on the NCL Breakaway. Just in case, I got some good anti nausea drugs from my doctor and bringing Immodium. If I get sick I would report it so that the staff could take precautions cleaning our cabin etc. but Ill be armed with my own drugs!

I agree that for those who didn't get sick, there probably always wondering if and when there going to get it, there probably afraid to touch much and it will have effected their cruise in some ways but there are going to be people who make up their mines that there on a cruise and darn it there going to make the best of it. Some people see the glass as half full and of course we all act differently and view things differently. So, my guess will be varied reviews of the cruise. Some people are naturally optimistic and some pessimistic and some in between. In the end I would put money on the fact that alll of the passengers comment on the amazing job the crew did!!

I HIGHLY suggest you only use the Immodium in a situation where you won't have ready & frequent access to a toilet (ie. a plane.) That med does NOTHING to resolve whatever is causing the frequent visits. All it does is inhibit the instestines from rapidly evacuating whatever is causing the irritation to your system. Once the drug wears off, you are still left with a gut full of the bug and your body will pick up right where it left off. You would essentially be prolonging your suffering instead of letting your body do what it needs to do. If you can keep it down, the anti-nausea meds are not a bad idea, but the Immodium or like meds really should be avoided in 99% of situations.

I HIGHLY suggest you only use the Immodium in a situation where you won't have ready & frequent access to a toilet (ie. a plane.) That med does NOTHING to resolve whatever is causing the frequent visits. All it does is inhibit the instestines from rapidly evacuating whatever is causing the irritation to your system. Once the drug wears off, you are still left with a gut full of the bug and your body will pick up right where it left off. You would essentially be prolonging your suffering instead of letting your body do what it needs to do. If you can keep it down, the anti-nausea meds are not a bad idea, but the Immodium or like meds really should be avoided in 99% of situations.

You are 100% correct. You have to get that totally out of your system.

I hope that people wash their hands after changing a baby, place a disposable pad under the child, and dispose of the soiled diapers properly.

They were changing baby diapers (two children) on the lounge chairs on the pool deck on my cruise...they continued to do it three days in a row until I took a picture...only then did security finally step in. The diaper brigade were in the pools and hot tubs the entire week and they refused to step in and do anything about it. grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Not sure if this was mentioned already. According to Vessel tracking the Exots is due in port at 2:40pm.

Thank you........I was just going to try to get that info! Thanks for researching for us!

Our thoughts and good vibes are being sent to all the passengers as they disembark today.:)

You will be able to see her pass under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

on the webcam soon. I see her on the marine map on the webcam website.

www.nyharborwebcam.com

Thanks for sharing webcam address. Thought about tracking it down to see the ship sail in. Wonder if it will be too snowy for a good look...guess I will click and see.

Thanks for sharing webcam address. Thought about tracking it down to see the ship sail in. Wonder if it will be too snowy for a good look...guess I will click and see.

you are welcome. Should be able to see her very well on the webcam

Although, thankfully, I never got norovirus which is far more severe than my situation, I did take a very nasty fall a few years ago on the Voyager. The right side of my chest was bruised from the purell station pole "stabbing" me as I fell. I was more black than blue and I had to ice it repeatedly every 2 hours. Talk about pain! I couldn't go ashore to Belize because of the pain and icing. I lasted one hour in Cozumel and had to return to the ship. I couldn't wear a bathing suit or a bra. I had to get 2 pain shots in the infirmary in addition to strong oral pain meds. It was agony trying to find a comfy position to sleep. It also rained for 2 of the 3 ports. I was in acute pain the 2nd and 3rd day of the cruise and moderate pain until after I got home. Know something? It WAS a great cruise. Wonderful friends were made on that cruise.

If you think the above was based on fraud or some really good drugs, I have a lemonade recipe I can send you.

I just love your post! I'd totally put a "like" on it, if I could! So glad you have had such great crusing experiences! I feel for you on your fall--I fainted once, and bruised my ribs, and couldn't sleep in my bed for 6 weeks.

We just got off a great cruise on the Grandeur and made lots of new friends also!

Chris

I love your post, too. You're the type of person I want to have on my cruises and in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app