Fancy top with pants or less fancy dress

LucasLounger1

Hi everyone,

I have a few gorgeous fancy party tops that look great with black pants. I generally wear them at non-formal nights but I'm beginning to think they might be more elegant than some of my dresses (I have difficulty finding flattering dresses in my budget).

Do you think a fancy party top and pants can look as formal as a non-formal dress? Or should I stick to a dress for formal nights, even if it isn't really formal?

I might add that I love dressing up but have varying degrees of success putting outfits together. My husband wears his suits well and always looks well attired so I feel the pressure!

It sounds to me like you are looking for approval with the pants and dressy tops. I say go for it. They sound like terrific outfits. I have seen many women on cruises looking smashing in pants and dressy tops. I once did a dressy capri and dressy top, with strappy heels and jewelry. I had brought a dress to wear for the second dress-up night, but had gotten sunburned and wanted to wear something which covered that up (which my dress would not), so instead of the dress, I wore the other. I felt comfortable and stylish and still dressed up enough. It is really your own personal choice. Have a terrific time.

I say go with the party tops and black dress pants. When you are in the dining room, nobody sees your bottom half since it is under the table. And the dress pants will be comfortable, you can pair them with less dressy tops for non-formal nights and even shopping at port. And you can always dress them up with fancy footwear like strappy sandals and do your hair nice. I have done this on cruises and it worked fine. If you think you look great and are happy with your outfit, you will look great.

To the OP, sparkly fancy tops with pants or a long skirt are perfectly okay. It's easier to pack and you can mix and match for more looks. I have black and white crepe wide leg pants, and make sure all the tops will go with either one to mix it up a bit. I like to get dressed up for the specialty restaurants too.

I agree with the top and skirt combination too:)...it can be very

pretty and in my opinion, is just fine on formal night:)

Actually, I just ordered this from QVC and am waiting for it:D

I am on a cruise next month and hoping to wear it with either

a pair of black slacks or a black skirt:)

a240758_i76.201?rgn=0,0,1000,889&scl=1.8834745762711864&fmt=jpeg&id=3IG2Vpuqgk_azuBzPxqSUM

I will be looking for you in that shirt, Lois!! I am a pant and top kind of girl. Feel so awkward in a dress sometimes. Like something is showing or my stomach is sticking out too much or I have toilet paper hanging from the back...LOL. Just more comfortable in pants

a240758_i76.201?rgn=0,0,1000,889&scl=1.8834745762711864&fmt=jpeg&id=3IG2Vpuqgk_azuBzPxqSUM

Love the colour!!

I think "Formal" can be pants as well as a skirt or dress or gown. As someone has already said-if you are confident and comfortable, you:) are fine.

no 'formal' is formal.. but what you are describing is fine on formal night since it's not enforced.

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/your-personal-image/69-attire-chart

Edited by Sherlock43031

Got my blue top today:D.....fits perfectly and I LOVE the color:D

It can definitely be dressed up (or not);)......I am taking it on my

upcoming cruise:)

That is a pretty blue top.

I say go for the dressy pants if that is what you like.

There is nothing like feeling confident in what you are wearing to make you look good.

I feel most comfortable when I wear palazzo pants with a dressy top on formal nites.

Lois, did you get this top? Does it fit? It is as gorgeous in person?

Oops, never mind, I just saw your response.

Edited by magandab

no 'formal' is formal.. but what you are describing is fine on formal night since it's not enforced.

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/your-personal-image/69-attire-chart

The large majority of mass-market Cruise ships aren't "black tie", but "black tie optional" on "formal" night, men ARE allowed in the MDR in dark suits…. So, separates for women would be quite appropriate in my mind, based on Emily…

I'd much rather see a woman in a nice pair of black pants and a nice top than some of the women who stuff themselves into a prom dress or a MOB dress and think they are "elegant." Kind of like the bikini issue to me ;)

Lois, did you get this top? Does it fit? It is as gorgeous in person?

Oops, never mind, I just saw your response.

LOL...no problem:D...yes, it fits well, feels good and looks

LOVELY in person too;)

The large majority of mass-market Cruise ships aren't "black tie", but "black tie optional" on "formal" night, men ARE allowed in the MDR in dark suits…. So, separates for women would be quite appropriate in my mind, based on Emily…

I'd much rather see a woman in a nice pair of black pants and a nice top than some of the women who stuff themselves into a prom dress or a MOB dress and think they are "elegant." Kind of like the bikini issue to me ;)

where do you find that wording?

Oh my - you made me laugh! Yeah, formal/elegant nights are very open to interpretation, and it always does look like some recycled a prom dress or bridesmaid dress. Some are very pretty, but others are just not. :rolleyes:

Getting ready to go on Carnival, and I feel pretty good about my dressy black pants, dressy tops, sparkly jewelry and sparkly shoes for their "elegant" nights. I think I'm usually more comfortable in this type of outfit than a dress, because I have more control over the end result :D