Ladies ... let's talk Perfume!

heyitsmejudy

I do not wear a brand perfume, but have a little spray bottle that I replenish with orange blossom perfume. I usually add a little water to soften the fragrance if needed, but I absolutely love the smell of orange blossoms. I spritzed a little in my shoes, too! I use it sparingly, because it lasts a long time, and a little in my cleavage wafts up to my nose. It has a very calming effect on me, and my husband loves the smell, too.

It's really inexpensive, too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Murray-Lanman-Orange-Blossom-Cologne-4-Fl-Oz-scent-is-pure-MAGIC-/151017035555?

Two things, check duty free at the airports for good deals on perfume. I found a massive bottle of "Angel" mismarked at $60.00 at SFO once. Also, check out QVC. Lori Grenier has these little perfume atomizers that you put on top of you big bottles and "pump up" your perfume into them. They are perfect for your purse or carry-on the plane.

Jessica by Jessica McClintock is the only perfume I wear. Every time I wear this I have many people as "what smells go good". I worked in a high school and even had a student ask the same thing. I told my daughter, a high school teacher, and she gets the same question. I highly recommend it. Perfect for cruising as it isn't a heavy scent.

Judee

Please, please, any one considering wearing perfume on a cruise, take it easy. I get sick and nauseous from most people who wear perfume. It seems like some people wear it too often that they become immune to the smell and keep using more and more. I don't think people realize how strong they smell.

Please, please, any one considering wearing perfume on a cruise, take it easy. I get sick and nauseous from most people who wear perfume. It seems like some people wear it too often that they become immune to the smell and keep using more and more. I don't think people realize how strong they smell.

This. If you can smell it on yourself, you are wearing way too much.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My husband hates scent (call it "allergic", whatever, I don't wear much anymore because of him and I usually buy only unscented soaps & body lotions ;-)

In college, I was addicted to Amarige by Givenchy. I still love it but it's so strong & spicy, I never wear it.

These days, I wear a few Demeter florals - they don't seem to bother my husband - my favorites are honeysuckle & gardenia & Linden. I much preferred L'Occitante Tilleuil but they discontinued it so the Demeter Linden is the best replacement I've found.

My other favorite is Spider Lily from Caswell & Massey, it's in the India Hicks collection. Spicy but not strong - it smells great on my and doesn't bother my husband.

I tried a few Bond scents on my last trip to NYC and some had some lovely gardenia notes (one of my favorites) but were WAY too strong/heavy for me. And boy was the store overwhelming. Finding a new scent is so difficult because you can only try a couple before your nose becomes overwhelmed....

Edited by Hoyaheel

My favourites are-

My Evening selection:

Rock Princess by Vera Wang (discontinued but i have a big bottle left :) )

Pink Princess by Vera Wang (my new absolute fav :D)

Lovestruck by Vera Wang (love it too)

They are all quite sweet and girly smelling but not overpowering

My day selection:

CK One Summer

2 spritzes and I'm good to go

On a daily basis I wear no scent. On a cruise I wear whatever I find in the pages of magazines. I take these because I don't have to put them in a 3-1-1 bag and I can wear a different scent every night. Kinda fun but nothing permanent.

My day selection:

CK One Summer

I bought myself that last year on our cruise and I love it.

I don't wear much scent so every time we cruise I go to the shop on board before dinner and I pick something new to sample for a few hours.

Took me 9 cruises to buy this one. :D

Now I'm looking for Escada's Cherry In The Air to give a spin.

I love perfumes and my favorites are:

Coach Poppy

Coach Signature

Soma's Oh My Gorgeous (absolute favorite)

Channel Coco Mademoiselle

My motto is "if it's too strong, you're too old"...oh wait, that's not right. Senility is setting in. I guess it's "if it's too loud, you're too old". Well that makes no sense on this topic. Never mind, I am too old. :rolleyes:

Much love to my fellow fashionistas,

Lisa

(take my posts with a grain of salt):D

My favorite, back in the day, was Jess, by Jessica McClintock. Then came the day I wore it and broke out in a horrible rash all over my chest. I've never worn perfume since. :(

Unfortunately, I've developed a bit of sensitivity to odors, and ask my fashionista friends to be sparing when you wear it! My favorite way to wear it was to put some on a cotton ball and tuck that into the front of my bra. It would waft upward with body heat, allowing me, and those very close to me, to smell it, without spreading it around beyond a small circle.

I love lots of different perfumes. Favourites are Opium (an old and now guilty pleasure), Channel's Chance and Mademoiselle, also Jo Malone's Lime Basil & Mandarin. The list goes on but here's a question does the fragrance go on? Has anyone out there bought expensive perfume/body lotions only to find that they do not last. My latest disappointment is Ellie Saab...it is gorgeous but just doesn't linger for long. Also someone should develop "smell o e-mail" as there are some interesting names on your lists that haven't made it across the pond yet. :)

Currently I'm addicted to Amour by Kenzo. Before that, it was Dolce and Gabbana The One. Currently on the hunt for a new scent, and oddly enough I'm drawn to Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black. (When I say oddly enough I mean because it's by the Olsen twins... :D ) We'll see what I end up with though - plenty of fragrances to sample on my next cruise. :)

I love lots of different perfumes. Favourites are Opium (an old and now guilty pleasure), Channel's Chance and Mademoiselle, also Jo Malone's Lime Basil & Mandarin. The list goes on but here's a question does the fragrance go on? Has anyone out there bought expensive perfume/body lotions only to find that they do not last. My latest disappointment is Ellie Saab...it is gorgeous but just doesn't linger for long. Also someone should develop "smell o e-mail" as there are some interesting names on your lists that haven't made it across the pond yet. :)

It's true, some perfumes don't last very long. And some seem to last longer on some people than on others. I suppose it has a lot to do with what goes into the perfume, the strength of it (eau de parfum vs eau de toilette), etc. but also your own body chemistry.

I like to try a perfume several times before buying it (after a couple of really bad perfume counter recommendations landed me with some expensive unused bottles!) and I found a place online that will decant small samples of virtually any perfume for you for a small price. You can get enough to wear for a few days and then decide whether it's for you. It's also a fun way to try a variety of scents. As I said earlier, I like variety!

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you everyone. I have quite a list to check out. I have to spritz and then walk around the mall a while to make sure I like it as much after it mixes with my body chemistry as I do when I first spray it. I like fresh scents, not overpowering.

Opium and Cinnabar used to be favorites for me as well, but I've found the little noses at school - those scents are too much.

Jo Malone fragrances are lovely - I too like the lime basil and mandarin.