St.Croix US Virgin Island

Anyone know what there is to do here? Is there any good shopping or things to do?

Are you shopping for something in particular? It's not a big cruise port like St. Thomas, Nassau or Cozumel, so you probably won't find quite same plethora of jewelry stores, but I'm sure there are some, along with the usual host of t-shirts and other souvenirs. Likewise, I'm sure you can find the typical beach/snorkel type activities.

We did an ATV tour. I believe it's called Gecko Adventures, it was the #1 thing on tripadvisor. We really enjoyed it. It wasn't through the ship, but it was located right near the port. Afterwards, there were carts in the area that sold cheap beer and we just walked around and had a few cold ones. We really liked St. Croix.

Anyone know what there is to do here? Is there any good shopping or things to do?

Thanks

Since you are beginning a general investigation, I suggest researching online.

If you are looking for cruise passenger suggestions, look at the CC forum for St. Croix first.

Then I would suggest a general google search.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=st.croix

In port, we negotiated with a taxi driver for a tour of the island (for a group of 6 people) in his air-conditioned van. We had a great day, stopping at a few points of interest, and also one or two bars/resorts for a cold beverage. The island and beaches are very beautiful. He dropped us off near the shops, and we shopped for about an hour.

FYI, silly me left a bag in the van. The taxi driver drove around the shopping area until he spotted our group, so he could return my bag. Now that's customer service!!

At this small port we took a ship sponsored historical walking tour with a very nice local lady. She seemed to know everyone as we walked through the area. After this short tour we hung out near the pier area and had a couple of $2.00 Budwisers sitting in chairs outside the stores while people watching. There are also a few spots that offer interent use for a reasonable price. I also don't seem to remember many hawkers, just stalls with local crafts. This was a relaxing port.

Edited by Roce48

You can negotiate a 3 hour van tour with one of the vendors, for 15 dollars or so. Good way to see it if it is your first time. Buck island is pretty good if you like snorkeling. Once you have seen it though I agree it is a least favorite port, so we find it a great day to enjoy the ship pool without any crowds

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

We're going to St. Croix in three weeks.

Isn't there a shuttle van going to Christensted, which is a larger town than Frederiksted where the ship docks? Or is it the other way around...LOL.:confused: I'm looking to purchase a hook bracelet in Christensted.

Isn't there a shuttle van going to Christensted, which is a larger town than Frederiksted where the ship docks? Or is it the other way around...LOL.:confused: I'm looking to purchase a hook bracelet in Christensted.

From the reviews on the St. Croix board it sounds like most people weren't overly impressed with Christensted, and it's not a short drive. Might be a long trip just to get a bracelet.

One of my least favorite ports. Someone mentioned shopping at the port area - I don't remember seeing anything there. Maybe a local vendor but that was about it.

Yes, there is not much to see at Fredriksted, but I do remember sitting outside of the stores that my wife went into. I found it to more of a rest stop than mega shopping area. I am not a shopper, so it was great for me just to sit outside and enjoy the weather.:):)

We took a van over to Christensted - there was a booth located at the pier signing people up - I can't remember the cost but it was a good price per person - the van gave you a location for pick up for return to the ship. We enjoyed it as we had spent a week on St Croix many many years ago so it was interesting to see some of the changes. I didn't think the ride was very long - maybe 1/2 hour each way?

Just got back from a cruise that stopped there. We booked an island tour through Sweeny's Safari Tours. Hit a few points of interest around the island, spent an hour on our own in Christiansted, toured the Cruzan Rum factory (interesting, and good samples at the end!) then back to this ship. $40 pp plus $5 admission for the rum factory. http://www.gotostcroix.com/guided-island-tours/sweenys-safari-tours

If you snorkel, a trip to snorkel at Buck Island National Park is a must. If not St. Croix is a good beach port. The island is very laid back and not as commercial as many of the others. There is some shopping but nothing compared to St. Thomas or St. Martin. There is a small fort on the island if you are into forts. Just a nice relaxing port but not a lot to do.

There are shuttles right when you get off the ship that will take you to either Sandcastle or Rainbow Beach. Shuttle is I believe still $6 round trip per person. We did Sandcastle last time but plan to go to Rainbow in March as there's a better beach bar there with entertainment. I don't remember much shopping at all around the port.

My DH, kids [now 20 somethings] and I have taken over 20 cruises and found Buck Island to be less than inspiring. We took a week vacation to St Croix just to go to Buck Island and really it was not as good as many of the areas around St Thomas, BVI and Aruba. We still had fun, but it wasn't the greatest snorkel trip ever as it was advertized.

I had read a lot about there being nothing to do, etc. and so we had low expectations for St. Croix, but we ended up loving it. We had expected to just get off for an hour or so to check out the beach/shop , but spend many hours. You can walk to the beach in 3 minutes. You can snorkel right off of it. Just laid on our beach towels although there were some umbrellas and chairs available for rent. Got a delicious snow cone (shave ice.) There is a restaurant/bar area but didn't really check that out too much. There is ample shopping for crafts, silver jewelry and t-shirts, nothing designer or fancy. We were fine with that. It was a our last port on a very port intensive cruise so we were ready for a go-at-your-own-pace, laid back beach day. Also, if you are from the U.S. your cell phone works there so this is quite a perk. We also enjoyed talking with the U.S. mainland transplants.

If you haven't been there and enjoy the beach, you should not stay on the ship. Honestly, if we go there again we are likely to do the same thing the next time. No need to book and excursion and spend money. Woohoo!

Cheers,

Koohiichan

We weren't up for much on St. Croix since it came at the end of a port-intensive 7-day cruise, but we enjoyed it. We went through the fort, with its historical exhibits, and got some nice pictures, then did some shopping at the outdoor markets (it's probably a stretch to call them this--it was just sellers set up along the sidewalks in places). We also walked along the beach and collected sea glass, and did a little wading. It was a very relaxing day, and there were numerous places to sample the local rum, so we were quite happy.

We did a ship's tour of Christiansted, which has a small shopping area, mostly touristy "island" stuff made in China. We had an excellent guide, and the historic area was very interesting, if that's your thing.

I understand some of the rum factories give tours.

In Fredricksted, there's a fort and a few shops and local craft booths. We actually got some authentic local wood carvings as gifts for family back home in one of the stores, the one with the rum tasting.

It's a place I could easily go and stay a few days, very laid back, wonderful weather.

Kathy