good public beach to play on in Ft Lauderdale

scubamommy!

I think we decided to come two days early instead of just one. The first day will be driving all day, we would have arrived late to hotel and got up the next day to board. So now the second will be a play day in Fort Lauderdale ( the day before we board). Can anyone recommend a nice clean public beach we can go to. We choose a hotel NOT on the beach to save some $ ( the rates in late March were CRAZY) but we have a car and can drive where ever. Thanks in advance!

We stayed at the Westin Ft Lauderdale in October, and the beach in front of it was lovely (North Fort Lauderdale). A bit narrow, but most of the strand is. So clean and beautiful, though, by far one of my favorite beaches. It is public along the whole strand, although parking on the street will cost you (I think). I believe I read that you can park a block away or so and the parking is free, though. (You may need to google)

We loved Ft. Lauderdale so much we're seriously looking to move there. It was easy to get around and plenty to do (and eat).

I think we decided to come two days early instead of just one. The first day will be driving all day, we would have arrived late to hotel and got up the next day to board. So now the second will be a play day in Fort Lauderdale ( the day before we board). Can anyone recommend a nice clean public beach we can go to. We choose a hotel NOT on the beach to save some $ ( the rates in late March were CRAZY) but we have a car and can drive where ever. Thanks in advance!

It's all just miles and miles of one long beach with different locations. Where is your hotel?

So is the beach all public? We are still deciding on the hotel, but we know to save $$ it will not be ON the beach. We have a car and can drive anywhere. Can you go to the different hotels and use that beach or do you have to be staying there? Is there a fun tikki hut or restaurant on the beach to grab lunch? Is there a spot to park where one can access the beach?

So is the beach all public? We are still deciding on the hotel, but we know to save $$ it will not be ON the beach. We have a car and can drive anywhere. Can you go to the different hotels and use that beach or do you have to be staying there? Is there a fun tikki hut or restaurant on the beach to grab lunch? Is there a spot to park where one can access the beach?

I think you have the wrong perception of "the beach." Very little of beaches in Florida are private and what few parts are still have public right of way to the high water line from the water.

Almost all the miles and miles of beach in the Ft Lauderdale area from the Hillsborough Inlet to Hallandale Beach have public parking on both the streets and parking lots. Whether it's Lauderdale By the Sea, Pompano Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Dania Beach, Hollywood Beach, whatever, there's plenty of beach and plenty of parking.

Just pick a hotel and we'll tell you where the closest beach parking is.

I'll just say again what others have said. It's just one big beach, and in Ft Lauderdale, a pretty nice one.

We stayed once at the Sheraton, on the beach, but decided that it wasn't worth the money. So we found a nice, funky but friendly motel about two blocks off the beach, close to restaurants etc. It's the Tropi Rock. Reasonably-priced, just a motel, and as I said, a bit funky. But clean, and fun, with parking. A few blocks north near Sunrise Blvd, there are a bunch of restaurants. South about 8 blocks is the Casablanca Cafe, one of our faves, but there are others.

Also think about what you're going to do with your car while your cruising. Not sure Tropi Rock will allow you to park there, but you can certainlly ask.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Fort Lauderdale Beach near Las Olas Blvd is one of my favorite spots. It has plenty of metered parking lots and if you are looking to have lunch or a few drinks there are plenty of places to go. Lulu's Bait Shack is a great place to have lunch and a few drinks. It's a short walk on A1A (Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd) to the restaurant. The beach is beautiful and not normally very crowded. The are also lifeguards there seven days a week.

I would recommend going to the beach in front of BeachPlace because there is a parking garage, public restroom, and casual restaurants for lunch. You do not have to walk far from the car to the beach here. There are a few tiki bars in beach hotels in north Fort Lauderdale, and you can use their narrow beach (public) and valet parking, but it's more fun near Beach Place.

AWESOME! Thanks for all the responses, you are all wonderful! I think we will check out Beach Pace or Las Olas Blvd (LuLu's sounds fun), both sound like what I was looking for!

I guess I'm just used to the beaches in the Carolinas where there is no parking unless you are staying at the Hotels and most of the beaches are to private to get to because of all the houses on the land in front of them. I haven't been to FL other than Disney in over 15 years and then ( before kids) I had $ to blow on the beach hotels! LOL

Looking forward to our vaca! Thanks!

AWESOME! Thanks for all the responses, you are all wonderful! I think we will check out Beach Pace or Las Olas Blvd (LuLu's sounds fun), both sound like what I was looking for!

I guess I'm just used to the beaches in the Carolinas where there is no parking unless you are staying at the Hotels and most of the beaches are to private to get to because of all the houses on the land in front of them. I haven't been to FL other than Disney in over 15 years and then ( before kids) I had $ to blow on the beach hotels! LOL

Looking forward to our vaca! Thanks!

We always go to the beach at Las Olas because there is parking and you can hit up all the restaurants and bars when you want to get out of the sun. We did that all day yesterday and the beach was gorgeous.

AWESOME! Thanks for all the responses, you are all wonderful! I think we will check out Beach Pace or Las Olas Blvd (LuLu's sounds fun), both sound like what I was looking for! ...

Just to clarify, Lulu's is actually in Beach Place, which is 2 blocks north of Las Olas Blvd, on A1A.

Oh ok, I get it now! Thanks!

Like the above posters mentioned (and they are experts!) You will love the area near Las Olas and Beach Place. I go down a couple of times a year and that is exactly where I go. Eat at LuLu's Bait Shack overlooking A1A and the ocean - get a table with a great view and you'll enjoy yourselves. It's literally right across the street and up a level or 2 from the water. There is also a CVS right there, Haagen Dazs and Maui Nix surf shop (my favorite place!!). There are also plenty of places to eat along the water there within walking distance. Have a great time.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*