Noro on Coral Princess

Wineart

Currently on Coral Princess, and the captain announced a few days ago that there were confirmed cases of noro on board. No further information has been given since then, but ship is under noro precautions such as no bread baskets or salt/pepper shakers on tables, passengers cannot serve themselves on buffet lines, etc.

I read on CC that Caribbean Princess had cases on board the last week or so but restrictions had been lifted.

I don't worry so much about catching it from other passengers, I'm careful about touching/washing, but if any food service crew is affected and either don't report it or don't yet realize they have it then it can get in the food chain and nothing you can realistically do to safeguard yourself against that.

Currently on Coral Princess, and the captain announced a few days ago that there were confirmed cases of noro on board. No further information has been given since then, but ship is under noro precautions such as no bread baskets or salt/pepper shakers on tables, passengers cannot serve themselves on buffet lines, etc.

Its always onboard in some shape or form.

Sometimes you hear about it (RCCL yesterday) and sometimes you don't. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise regardless! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this sailing of Coral Princess. The Captain intervened immediately with a Code Red and successfully limited the spread of the disease. The only disruption for passengers (other than those who got sick...) was not being able to touch any food-related items including salt/pepper/sweeteners - everything had to be given to you by crew. Oh, and we missed out on the Chef's Table (but the Ultimate Ship's Tour did take place toward the end of the cruise, when the Code had been lifted). The quick implementation of Code rules, and cooperation by the passengers, really made a difference. Thanks Princess!

Noro is and has been on every ship.
I agree. It's not unusual to sail under a code red. I've been on a number of cruises with it and fortunately, it was quickly contained and the restrictions lifted within a few days. As said, all it takes is one or two people who self-medicate, don't report it and then spread it around either unknowingly or deliberately.

to the original poster, wineart: We were on Coral Jan. 19 to Jan. 30 and noro was prevalent enough on that cruise for code red to be implented and for DH to catch it (and yes, we wash hands repeatedly and for 20 to 30 seconds, both of us). He was very sick, quarantined for two days. Even after he was better and up and around, he was lethargic and had no appetite for several days. If Coral has it again on the current sailing for code red again, this is a big problem IMHO.

to the original poster, wineart: We were on Coral Jan. 19 to Jan. 30 and noro was prevalent enough on that cruise for code red to be implented and for DH to catch it (and yes, we wash hands repeatedly and for 20 to 30 seconds, both of us). He was very sick, quarantined for two days. Even after he was better and up and around, he was lethargic and had no appetite for several days. If Coral has it again on the current sailing for code red again, this is a big problem IMHO.

We all talking about the SAME sailing of Coral.

Let me clarify first that I am NOT on a cruise ship. I am just getting over with what we think was a bout of Noro and there is no way I would of ever been able to wander around a cruise ship as ill as I was. The reason we "think" it was Noro is it's been diagnosed around our schools and community and I have the same symptoms. Friends and family are in health care and no, I wasn't tested but the symptoms pretty much match. (Just wanting to settle that before THAT debate starts.)

There is NO WAY I could of wandered around a cruise ship. I couldn't wander around my own home, I was so ill. I stayed in my bedroom, close to my bathroom the whole time. I was on my own basically the first 19 hours. I literally got sick the minute my husband walked out the door to work and then had to work a double due to weather and his relief not coming in. My daughter dropped in on me that evening and I told her to GET OUT, I didn't want her catching what I had. I tried to wipe anything I touched down with Lysol wipes as best I could. So far, knock wood, no one has come down with it but they are not over the incubation period. Even days past the physical illness I feel tired and worn out.

I did a little reading when I could, trying to protect my family from coming down. What I learned is there could be a carrier who has no symptoms and that is one way of spreading. I also could of been giving off germs before I actually became sick which I had no way of knowing. I woke up fine that morning and at 1:30 I was incredibly ill. I pray I never come down with this on a cruise as I was completely miserable in the comforts of my own home, let alone on a rocking ship. (shudders)

We all talking about the SAME sailing of Coral.

It would be nice if people would put more thought into their topic titles. In this case the sailing date of the Coral Princess would clarify a lot.

"Norovirus on Coral Princess January 19 - 30, 2014 Sailing"

I think these topics will last here forever but obviously the Noro on the Coral won't last forever. There is an almost identical topic here proclaiming "Noro on Caribbean Princess", also with no info in the title as to the sailing date.

Of course I also see topic titles almost devoid of usefull information such as Caribbean Princess, Price Drop, CB,

Weather, Coffee (Ruby), Sea Princess, Sapphire, Tea. Thousands of people will read these posts yet many (not all) of the people putting the posts up put no thought into their titles or even spell check them!

Sorry for the Rant!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector