Another Carny tries X post

jasbo49

We're just off the Jan. 20-25 Constellation Western Caribbean cruise and had a different experience than some other recent posters. We had a great time and have no real complaints but wanted to warn people not to expect a world of difference. There was a lot we thought would be better than Carnival that wasn't.

Mainly we were disappointed in the activities and MDR food, and somewhat in the entertainment.

No. 1, we expected some legitimate "enrichment" offerings such as we saw on Princess on our one cruise with them, but there's not much on the daily activity list other than the same old trivia, art auctions and bingo stuff. The same shopping talks, where some self-important "shopping expert" pretends to have twisted arms to have gotten you incredible deals at Diamonds International and tries to lead you like a droid through some map of allowable stores. It's insulting, whether you're on Celebrity, Carnival or any other line. On Princess, they offered a crash course in Spanish on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I expected something here like a Mayan culture talk on the way to Cozumel or something on Key West authors on the way there. But there was nothing educational unless you count dance lessons or a 15-minute galley tour where most of the people couldn't hear anything.

Not one dish in the main dining room was remarkable. We only had a five night cruise, so we didn't try everything on the cruise line's menu, but nothing we had was memorable (a couple fish dishes came close), and a few things were pretty disappointing. The formal night, rumored to be among the best menus, was just another night.

The production shows in the main theater were among the best we've seen, but little else caught our interest in the entertainment offerings. Admittedly, this is partly our fault for not sampling more things late at night. The live music we did hear was nothing special. We did enjoy the comic who took the main stage one night, but thought the "illusionist" was a disappointment.

There were some obvious plusses on Celebrity, like lack of promotional pitches on the PA and excellent service in the MDR. And I'll bet I was offered sparkling wine a couple times a day.

But you won't get away from the chair hogs and buffet brutes (both male and female). You won't avoid the loud-mouth drunks just by switching from Carnival to Celebrity. At least that was our opinion based on one five-night cruise.

Jim

Yup, one cruise line is pretty much like the other when it comes to the basic's. For anything different you have to look at a 'special interest' sailing. We enjoy X because there is not a lot of hoopla going on. Thanks for your comparison.

I have to agree with you on many of your accounts. I do believe that there are more "enrichment" type activities on a cruise longer than 5 days but for the most part, I believe the biggest difference comes down to service and in my personal belief, the friendliness of the staff. I look to both cruise lines when I book cruises as I do find the differences fairly small.

We're just off the Jan. 20-25 Constellation Western Caribbean cruise and had a different experience than some other recent posters. We had a great time and have no real complaints but wanted to warn people not to expect a world of difference. There was a lot we thought would be better than Carnival that wasn't.

Mainly we were disappointed in the activities and MDR food, and somewhat in the entertainment.

No. 1, we expected some legitimate "enrichment" offerings such as we saw on Princess on our one cruise with them, but there's not much on the daily activity list other than the same old trivia, art auctions and bingo stuff. The same shopping talks, where some self-important "shopping expert" pretends to have twisted arms to have gotten you incredible deals at Diamonds International and tries to lead you like a droid through some map of allowable stores. It's insulting, whether you're on Celebrity, Carnival or any other line. On Princess, they offered a crash course in Spanish on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I expected something here like a Mayan culture talk on the way to Cozumel or something on Key West authors on the way there. But there was nothing educational unless you count dance lessons or a 15-minute galley tour where most of the people couldn't hear anything.

Not one dish in the main dining room was remarkable. We only had a five night cruise, so we didn't try everything on the cruise line's menu, but nothing we had was memorable (a couple fish dishes came close), and a few things were pretty disappointing. The formal night, rumored to be among the best menus, was just another night.

The production shows in the main theater were among the best we've seen, but little else caught our interest in the entertainment offerings. Admittedly, this is partly our fault for not sampling more things late at night. The live music we did hear was nothing special. We did enjoy the comic who took the main stage one night, but thought the "illusionist" was a disappointment.

There were some obvious plusses on Celebrity, like lack of promotional pitches on the PA and excellent service in the MDR. And I'll bet I was offered sparkling wine a couple times a day.

But you won't get away from the chair hogs and buffet brutes (both male and female). You won't avoid the loud-mouth drunks just by switching from Carnival to Celebrity. At least that was our opinion based on one five-night cruise.

Jim

Has Canival improved it's food in the restaurant? In the past I felt Celebrity was always step above.

Has Canival improved it's food in the restaurant? In the past I felt Celebrity was always step above.

I don't think Carnival has improved their food at all over the years (at least of the time period in which I've been cruising). But of the one longer cruise I took with Celebrity back in 2009, I did not think Celebrity had superior MDR food. The food as described on the menu sounded gourmet, but in presentation did not come through at least for me. Buffet and sushi counter though much superior on Celebrity, also room service menu, and the spa menu cafe for lunch.

Although the MDR food did not seem remarkable to me on Celebrity compared to Carnival, the dining room service was absolutely superior. And I have thought all but 1 cruise on Carnival, the wait staff was very good.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

I don't think Carnival has improved their food at all over the years (at least of the time period in which I've been cruising). But of the one longer cruise I took with Celebrity back in 2009, I did not think Celebrity had superior MDR food. The food as described on the menu sounded gourmet, but in presentation did not come through at least for me. Buffet and sushi counter though much superior on Celebrity, also room service menu, and the spa menu cafe for lunch.

Although the MDR food did not seem remarkable to me on Celebrity compared to Carnival, the dining room service was absolutely superior. And I have thought all but 1 cruise on Carnival, the wait staff was very good.

I haven't been on Carmvial since the 1990's....and agree, Celebrity's food has not been as good as in the past. before your 2009 cruise it was very good. ,,,and Murano at the very beginning was excellent! To be fair, HAL at the beginning (specialty restaurant) was also excellent...not so much now.

You won't avoid the loud-mouth drunks just by switching from Carnival to Celebrity. At least that was our opinion based on one five-night cruise.

Jim

I was on the same cruise and Celebrity is, for the most part, our cruise line of choice. There was a large group (650-700 people) on this cruise that definitely changed the overall Celebrity cruise experience. Your above quote sums it up pretty well. It was our first Celebrity cruise that we experienced "loud mouth drunks" and we have taken many Celebrity cruises in the last 4 years.

Edited by Oville

As a line, I find Celebrity superior to Carnival. However, I will say, I prefered the MDR food on Carnival to Celebrity. Now, I am a super simple eater so a lot of the fancy pants (gourmet) items on the MDR menu in Celebrity is too much for me.

However, the specialty dining I've done on Celebrity has been AMAZING. I loved Qsine, the Lawn Club Grill and Bistro on 5.

A question I should post to long time X cruisers - do you think the quality of the MDR has gone down some since the introduction of so many specialty restaurants with a surcharge? My first cruise with X was last year.

A question I should post to long time X cruisers - do you think the quality of the MDR has gone down some since the introduction of so many specialty restaurants with a surcharge? My first cruise with X was last year.

2011 we were on the RCCL Freedom, Chops, the benchmark!

2012 the Ruby Princess

2013 the Reflection, Murano and the Lawn Club were excellent, like the MDR used to be in the mid-late 1990'ts.

The Freedom was the best MDR of the 3.

The key is that the OP was on a 5 night cruise, which tends to draw a different group of cruisers than longer trips. I suspect the differences between Carnival and Celebrity are much more apparent on longer cruises.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

As a line, I find Celebrity superior to Carnival. However, I will say, I prefered the MDR food on Carnival to Celebrity. Now, I am a super simple eater so a lot of the fancy pants (gourmet) items on the MDR menu in Celebrity is too much for me.

However, the specialty dining I've done on Celebrity has been AMAZING. I loved Qsine, the Lawn Club Grill and Bistro on 5.

To answer your question....(I'm going to hear it for saying this but...)

No, not due to the specailty restaurants as they are also not as good as they once were... the quality of the MDR started going downhill when Celebrity sold to RCCL.

The last time we sailed on Carnival was in Oct 2012 on the Dream. Even though it was their newer ship things thru the years seems to us to have deteriorated. Most of it seems to be the client that it is attracting and catering to as it is looking for new passengers to replace those that are leaving. The way for them to do that is to be priced into their budget.

Carnival, and NCL seem to be the entry line for many cruisers and I was one of them. Many of those passengers are the target that the other lines try to attract, appeal to or convert. One way of doing that is to give promos and competitve prices and be priced within their budget. With that may/will also come cost cutting. The higher end lines are now getting many past passengers from those lines but to do that and keep them them they have to do one thing that appeals to them the most, low or competitve prices. Eceryone looks for what they think is the best value for their dollar or perceived value.

The drawback is you can't have a Rolls Royce with a VW budget. It seems as if every line is digressing as more and more people are cruising.

Whose fault is it? The cruise lines or the passengers?

🌴🍸🍻🍺

To answer your question....(I'm going to hear it for saying this but...)

No, not due to the specailty restaurants as they are also not as good as they once were... the quality of the MDR started going downhill when Celebrity sold to RCCL.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. How long ago did that take place?

Absolutely true that a large group charter, like the OP had on the sailing, and the nature of a 5-night vs. a longer sailing makes for a "perfect storm" of a-typical Celebrity passengers.

While a 7-night cruise vacation continues to be the best vfd, in our opinion, we do ask ourselves each year if a comparable land vacation is becoming an option. It's certainly gaining a larger foothold in our minds.

And, also true, food is an easy cost-saving line, so as the economics of cruise lines developed in the last 5 years, the quality of the food has declined.

Still, I didn't have to shop for it, prepare it, or clean up after it, so it's all a treat to me!

Carnival's MDR food is actually quite good. On our last cruise, most nights that the food was good enough that I would have eaten more if I was able to do so (comfortably). Even the nights where the food was not spectacular, it was better than average. I certainly never went hungry. But Carnival is previewing this "new menu" (with less choices) and its getting mixed reviews, so we will see if that becomes a regular thing.

But I was hoping that Celebrity's food would be a step above Carnival's, even though I think Carnival's is very good. We are AQ so we will be dining in Blu, hopefully that will push the dining experience a little more. We are paying quite a bit more for the two of us this 5 day cruise than we did for three people for 7 days on Carnival. Granted we have a premium drink package and prepaid grats (thanks to our TA) and a balcony in AQ class, so its going to be more.

OP I am glad to hear that you liked the production shows. Carnival's entertainment was so so to me. I am not sure how I feel about the new (playlist?) shows that they started introducing with the 2.0. The techno graphics are kind of neat, but the show itself was not as interesting. We did not even stay for the whole thing.

The key is that the OP was on a 5 night cruise, which tends to draw a different group of cruisers than longer trips. I suspect the differences between Carnival and Celebrity are much more apparent on longer cruises.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We were on a 5 day cruise On Celebrity and the only place where I noticed a difference (in food) was the brunch.

Carnival's MDR food is actually quite good. On our last cruise, most nights that the food was good enough that I would have eaten more if I was able to do so (comfortably). Even the nights where the food was not spectacular, it was better than average. I certainly never went hungry. But Carnival is previewing this "new menu" (with less choices) and its getting mixed reviews, so we will see if that becomes a regular thing.

But I was hoping that Celebrity's food would be a step above Carnival's, even though I think Carnival's is very good. We are AQ so we will be dining in Blu, hopefully that will push the dining experience a little more. We are paying quite a bit more for the two of us this 5 day cruise than we did for three people for 7 days on Carnival. Granted we have a premium drink package and prepaid grats (thanks to our TA) and a balcony in AQ class, so its going to be more.

OP I am glad to hear that you liked the production shows. Carnival's entertainment was so so to me. I am not sure how I feel about the new (playlist?) shows that they started introducing with the 2.0. The techno graphics are kind of neat, but the show itself was not as interesting. We did not even stay for the whole thing.

We thought the food in Blu was outstanding last week.

On the same cruise and not in a hurry to go on another with X. Actually thought was on a Carnival cruise. Only CCL would have been more to my expectations. First time on X seen so many men in MDR evenings in work in the garden looking shorts, tee's and rubber flip flops. Some of the group even told me they were banned on Carnival.

These short cruises are not going to be the same as longer ones IMO. I sailed Constellation from Bayonne roundtrip Caribbean in 2006 and had a fabulous time! On that cruise there were two males dance hosts (which Celebrity no longer offers). I was so fortunate to meet them at the dance lessons and spent the every night twirling around with them in the Rendezvous Lounge. It was so wonderful. My son had an equally good time.

The Constellation is a beautiful ship and my uncle just sailed her in Europe and said it was his favorite ship!

I guess the point is- avoid these cheapo Celebrity itineraries.

These short cruises are not going to be the same as longer ones IMO.

I guess the point is- avoid these cheapo Celebrity itineraries.

We are hearing and reading this more often, and in the last few days 2 more so-so, meh, reviews of a 5 day Celebrity sailing. Not good:o

That cruise lines are much more alike than different. DCL, RCCL & Princess all have much more in common than different. We found pros & cons to each line--even each ship!

It will be interesting to throw Celebrity into the comparison mix! (and a 5 day cruise which we have never done...)