A Week of Meh: My Constellation Review 1/20-1/25

headhurt

Thanks, we are also doing Cozumel first.

Be prepared, you have to clear customs on arrival in Key West, so everyone had to wake up and clear customs between 7:30 and 9:30 per schedule or risk fines by Customs.

Kind of a hassle, but "first US Port of Entry".

Be prepared, you have to clear customs on arrival in Key West, so everyone had to wake up and clear customs between 7:30 and 9:30 per schedule or risk fines by Customs.

Kind of a hassle, but "first US Port of Entry".

UGH! Is that a word? :D My daughters and I are going on this cruise the end of March with the same itinerary. What fun!

Tuscan Grill for Thursday

OP, why Thursday for Tuscan? Did you find out ahead of time what was offered in the MDR and decided to eat in Tuscan for that night?

coffee kiosk

On a recent Alaskan cruise on the Century,"me and my husband" utilized our Classic Beverage package by drinking more specialty coffees (in the Café) than alcoholic drinks. :)

Enjoying the review. Do you have any other photos of your stateroom and was it a CC?

Edited by Iamthesea

We sailed the five-day Western Caribbean itinerary from Port Everglades to Cozumel and Key West. Before I begin my review, I will start by saying that this review is based solely on my experience, and is my opinion. If something offends you, and before you pull out your Celebrity pom-poms, take a breath and go find a review better suited to your delicate sensitivities. Again, this was my experience. Don't like it, go write a review of your own.:D

A little about myself and my other half. Logtar (my fiance) and myself, both in our late 30's, both professionals (he does computer security, I am an oncology nurse), no kids (dinks!!), well-traveled, and avid foodies. We're not huge drinkers, loud partiers, and have a great appreciation for relaxation. Both his job and mine are heavy on structure and stress, so vacation is that time we decompress.

I'll be writing this review in parts, based on specific areas, and ports of call. I'll try to include a couple pictures in as well because pictures are a nice break for the eyeballs when you are reading a wall of text...which this will probably be.

Now, on with the show!

We like you already and can't believe we did not find this post sooner.

Such a strange review. It just makes me happy that while I love good food and appreciate a really nice meal..... I also have the ability to simply eat, enjoy and not analyze every single bite and offering.

Sorry you had a meh time.

There must be something wrong with me. While I appreciate (and recognize) good food, it is FAR from the basis on which I judge a cruise, unlike many posters on CC who seem obsessed with the food. Want to see every menu ahead of time, plan all their specialty dinners, ask people what not to miss, complain miserably if something they like is changed (I.e. Escargot), etc.

DH and I love having a large table in the MDR with new friends we can get get to know, etc. Dinner is an event in itself and the food plays a bit part. Honestly, I don't know how or why people go on a 3,000 passenger ship, get served a banquet-style meal, and then come back and complain about the food ad nauseum! If you want an outstanding meal, go to a Michelin rated restaurant, shell out $200/pp+ before the wine, and enjoy!!

For all the so-called 'foodies' on these boards, if you are expecting (and not receiving) gourmet fare, I can give you the websites for Regent, Seabourn, and possibly Crystal. Just be sure to check your checkbook at the door. Meh.

Our first port of call was Cozumel. We booked a day with Nachi Cocom. We were among the first ones off the ship, and we were literally the first ones at the resort. We selected our spot (a cabana close to the pool) and settled in for the day. The morning had a slight chill in the air, but as the day went on, the wind died down and the day warmed up. The water was pretty chilly, so we didn't engage in any splashy-splashy.

Do they pick you up at the Pier? And then drop you off at the end of the day?

There must be something wrong with me. While I appreciate (and recognize) good food, it is FAR from the basis on which I judge a cruise, unlike many posters on CC who seem obsessed with the food. Want to see every menu ahead of time, plan all their specialty dinners, ask people what not to miss, complain miserably if something they like is changed (I.e. Escargot), etc.

DH and I love having a large table in the MDR with new friends we can get get to know, etc. Dinner is an event in itself and the food plays a bit part. Honestly, I don't know how or why people go on a 3,000 passenger ship, get served a banquet-style meal, and then come back and complain about the food ad nauseum! If you want an outstanding meal, go to a Michelin rated restaurant, shell out $200/pp+ before the wine, and enjoy!!

For all the so-called 'foodies' on these boards, if you are expecting (and not receiving) gourmet fare, I can give you the websites for Regent, Seabourn, and possibly Crystal. Just be sure to check your checkbook at the door. Meh.

Cathy

You raise a good point and I agree with your general principle. Think folks get to wrapped up in the five star thing. As for me, I'm a regular guy, I'm not expecting a five star meal, in fact far from it. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind paying $50 or $60 for a big good aged steak and $40-75 for a bottle of wine (or a $6 pint of beer) but I really get appalled paying the same amount fancy meals with elaborate presentations with little or no substance. I think the quality of the dish guest lost the fancier the presentation. Just bring me good food.

I'm looking forward to celebrity, but food is not the only reason. There is much more to a cruise. So as long as they've got a good cut of meat and an occasional hearty seafood item I'll be a happy passenger....as long as the bar is open and has cold beer! ;-)

Our first port of call was Cozumel. We booked a day with Nachi Cocom. We were among the first ones off the ship, and we were literally the first ones at the resort. We selected our spot (a cabana close to the pool) and settled in for the day. The morning had a slight chill in the air, but as the day went on, the wind died down and the day warmed up. The water was pretty chilly, so we didn't engage in any splashy-splashy.

No you take cabs back and forth to Nachi Cocum

No, you must grab a cab at the pier ($17) & then also to return to the ship.

No, you must grab a cab at the pier ($17) & then also to return to the ship.

Correct! Make sure you have a copy of your reservation handy. Some cab drivers won't take you there unless you have the proof of a reservation. Also, if you can find another couple to share a cab with, the fare is cheaper.:D

Thank you for an insightful review. I'm still looking at a return to Celebrity Cruises and prefer shorter cruises on the Millennium-class ships.

I did find one part of your commentary interesting regarding the food choices:

They also had a pizza kiosk, and the pizza was good....

...We also didn't eat any burgers or hot dogs poolside. Why would I pay so much money just to eat a hamburger??

It seems the same line of thought could be applied to paying so much money just to eat pizza?

Looking forward to a future cruise on Celebrity Constellation!

;)

LoL...my thoughts exactly!

:D

Thank you for an insightful review. I'm still looking at a return to Celebrity Cruises and prefer shorter cruises on the Millennium-class ships.

I did find one part of your commentary interesting regarding the food choices:

It seems the same line of thought could be applied to paying so much money just to eat pizza?

Looking forward to a future cruise on Celebrity Constellation!

;)

Maybe because they call it artisan pizza? AND isn't there an up charge for the pizza at the Lawn specialty restaurant?

Maybe because they call it artisan pizza? AND isn't there an up charge for the pizza at the Lawn specialty restaurant?

Is the 'pizza kiosk' the OP referred to the same venue as the Lawn specialty restaurant that offers artisan pizza? Just asking.

Yeah, if you pay $40pp you can go to the Lawn Specialty restaurant and have pizza -- they call if flatbread, but only on Silhouette & Reflection. You eat more than that. It's a "meat" kind of place. It's pretty good.

Is the 'pizza kiosk' the OP referred to the same venue as the Lawn specialty restaurant that offers artisan pizza? Just asking.

Not sure (they have changed the pizza in the buffet to a flat bread kind of dough)...and that was the appetizer they served in the Captains club lounge... the pizza from the buffet...cut into bite size pieces with a toothpick stuck in it. My DH and I still still get a good laugh over that one.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Hi there - loving your frank review.

I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express you mentioned during an upcoming trip in April. Can I ask how you booked the transportation from the hotel to the port, and how much it was? We get in late (11pm) the night before the ship sails and I'm concerned about the cluster that will inevitably ensue in the morning.

Thank you!

Thank you all for all the info about your experience on the ship. We are on the March 3 sailing. This will be our 3rd cruise, the first two on Windstar.

Everybody's taste or opinion about vacations, cruises, etc., is different and makes for interesting commentary.

We said for a long time that we had no interest about cruises until we found the right size and the right balance in passengers amenities and atmosphere for us (Windstar).

We are bringing our two sons on their first cruises on Constellation. We choose Constellation because of the port or call and the size of the ship (and its March break for us).

I'm sure everything will be fine for us and I wish everybody a great vacation.

Cheers!

I'm on this cruise next week and was wondering what night is formal night? Hoping its a sea day.

The formal night was the least formal I have ever seen on Celebrity. There was an announcement during the day that all that would be required was a collared shirt and tie, or jacket, shirt, and tie. We saw many people walking in to the MDR with just shirt and long pants, jeans included. You will not feel out of place whether you go this route or go dressed to the nines. This is the first short cruise we have ever done on Celebrity, and I guess they are far more relaxed with the dress code on them.

Such a strange review. It just makes me happy that while I love good food and appreciate a really nice meal..... I also have the ability to simply eat, enjoy and not analyze every single bite and offering.

Sorry you had a meh time.

I guess this summarizes how I look at it also. I have what I call the 1/3 rule. A great meal is 1/3 the food, 1/3 the company and 1/3 the atmosphere/service. I guess if I've had a meh meal on board the company and atmosphere/service have more than made up for it.

I realize everyone looks at things differently and I do respect the opinions of others.

headhurt, to place this in proper perspective, I assume that you had a five night cruise in an inner cabin. The Constellation was one of our favorite ships before the advent of the S class. As a matter of fact, all of our cruises thereon, either in CC or above, were all very fine. Also, the food was great; and, none of our cruises were of the five night variety.

headhurt, to place this in proper perspective, I assume that you had a five night cruise in an inner cabin. The Constellation was one of our favorite ships before the advent of the S class. As a matter of fact, all of our cruises thereon, either in CC or above, were all very fine. Also, the food was great; and, none of our cruises were of the five night variety.

This was not a normal X sailing. Found out there was a group of 700 ( TA's & friends )on board. Maybe it had an impact, maybe not. headhurt is an experienced cruiser, and I hope they give X another shot.

i guess this summarizes how i look at it also. I have what i call the 1/3 rule. A great meal is 1/3 the food, 1/3 the company and 1/3 the atmosphere/service. I guess if i've had a meh meal on board the company and atmosphere/service have more than made up for it.

I realize everyone looks at things differently and i do respect the opinions of others.

i like your rule!!:d

We actually booked a balcony. It was a great little retreat to just sit and read.

We booked this cruise based on a great rate, but the itinerary was the main deciding factor. I had read up on Celebrity, which subtly touts itself as being a better cruise experience, which is what we were expecting. Perhaps we had our expectations too high. Like I said, it wasn't the worse cruise ever, but it was missing an added sparkle, as per our experience.

I'm not done writing my review, but it's hard to write one at work. So, I will be adding a couple other posts with pics when I am at home and can better do it justice.

Edited by headhurt