speciality restaurants - rank them!

suec12

Indeed, but that was one dinner out of 10, and husband's entree was remade. Also, in contrast to the mediocre to bad service on our 2011 Marina cruise a couple of months after its debut (when so many dining crew members were in training), the service was fabulous.

Also, whenever we dislike a dish for any reason, we request something else, and Oceania always has been happy to make us happy. Why didn't you try that for the dishes you disliked?:confused:

We lived in NYC for 11 years and dined out all too often with clients at some pretty nice restaurants, and both Gerry and truly believe that the quality of the food on Oceania is superb.

We had 4 bad dinners out of 10 days

Our Marina cruise in 2011 other than coming down with the bug going around was very good

After them bringing DH raw chicken why would we want to take a chance on some other dish ???

The sight of uncooked chicken satay just turned him off even having it re-cooked.

We have sent things back or ordered something else when things were not to our liking

Out of our 9 cruises on Oceania we have had a few glitches but this last cruise seemed to be one issue after another

To each his own

We still love Oceania

Edited by LHT28

Our first cruise on Oceania....oh how I miss it after a week in a Hampton Inn for business :eek:

Here's out list in ranking order:

Jacques (ate there three times thanks to Ismail our lovely butler)

Grand Dining Room

Red Ginger

Polo

Toscana

Honorable mention to Waves (great burgers and milkshakes) and of course the Terrace where we had a couple of lovely lunches. While Toscana is at the "bottom" of the list, it's still miles better than the food on other lines.

....when you receive a bad meal can be problematic when dining with others. Everyone else is eating and you're waiting! Still we've done this - had to if the dish was really bad, like too salty. And yes, Lyn, someone else at our table got uncooked chicken on one of our cruises. That's really bad!

We've been pretty lucky, but we've had unfortunate incidents in all of the dining rooms. Do you know that the same waiters in the SRs also double up and cover other restaurants on board depending on the crowd. We saw our favorite Polo waiter in the MDR. They are all hired by O unlike other ships where the SRs you pay for, have their own staff. So O is very different than the other ships where you pay extra for SRs. I prefer O's way of doing things and enjoy all of the SRs because of the great variety.

board the Nautica at the moment. Polo was good but a bit slow service with the bigger tables. Toscana was off expected standard. Dover sole was too salty. Special tuna dinner was raw in the middle.. They burnt the creme brulee and the last meal to make up for the other two disasters was overcooked bass. Also the waitress messed up the orders and missed serving a few dishes. On the last time I went, she informed me that she had given me the correct order this time. The GDR service was the best and the food tastier this time. Waves was excellent and the Asian Fusion night in the Terrace Cafe was excellent.

I rated the specialty restaurants earlier but now I see Waves, Terrace and MDR being rated. As positive as I feel the specialty restaurants are, I do not feel the same about Waves, Terrace and MDR.

So, with favorite being on top:

Waves My DH had salads from there - good food - terrible service.

MDR - Had one meal there and never went back.

Terrace -- If I never had to go there again I'd be happy. Lots of choices that sound wonderful....... but I found the quality of the meats, fish, etc. lacking.

Food is subjective and I'm comparing these restaurants to similar restaurants on Regent and Silversea (which cannot touch the quality, service and tastes of Jacques).

board the Nautica at the moment. Polo was good but a bit slow service with the bigger tables. Toscana was off expected standard. Dover sole was too salty. Special tuna dinner was raw in the middle.. They burnt the creme brulee and the last meal to make up for the other two disasters was overcooked bass. Also the waitress messed up the orders and missed serving a few dishes. On the last time I went, she informed me that she had given me the correct order this time. The GDR service was the best and the food tastier this time. Waves was excellent and the Asian Fusion night in the Terrace Cafe was excellent.

Sorry to hear the bad service/food is being transferred to other ships

I was hoping it was just a fluke on our Riviera cruise in Jan

Lyn

Sorry to hear about your experience in Toscana with the Dover sole and crème brulee. Regarding the tuna, according to the chefs on the Food Network, tuna should only be seared or it will lose it's flavor. I don't like it that way either (but do like tuna sashimi:-)

Just a casual observation for how people rate places and there appears to be a commonality with what you rate as to where you live

Italian Toscana...rates tops with Canadian and mid western and Asian at the bottom

Steak House/polo.. East coast folks give top marks

French bistro Jaques and Asian Red Ginger, seem to be west coast followed by east coast west coast folks seem to give Italian the lowest marks.

as to waves/ terrace seems to be folks from sunshine states So calif, Flordia

where casual dining is more appreciated

Maybe, where we are taste tied or what we do not get at home?

I remember the late great author Jean Sheppard ( Christmas story and In God we trust, all others pay cash) who said of his father" People only like meat and potatoes and the only eat others things to impress each other"

Hawaiidan: What an astute observation. We definitely fall into the west coast category in terms of Jacques and Red Ginger.

We liked Toscana but did not think it came close to anything on the east coast (especially New York) or the west coast so it makes sense than Canadians and people from the mid-west of the U.S. rate it high while those on the "coasts" don't.

The one surprise for me was Polo. We get great steaks on the west coast (not as good as from Texas:-) but I just assumed that the east coast had really good steaks. IMO, the people who enjoy Polo the most are those from places where it is more difficult to get prime beef.

In any case, I'd eat in any of the four specialty restaurants every night if I could.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hawaiidan: What an astute observation. We definitely fall into the west coast category in terms of Jacques and Red Ginger.

We liked Toscana but did not think it came close to anything on the east coast (especially New York) or the west coast so it makes sense than Canadians and people from the mid-west of the U.S. rate it high while those on the "coasts" don't.

The one surprise for me was Polo. We get great steaks on the west coast (not as good as from Texas:-) but I just assumed that the east coast had really good steaks. IMO, the people who enjoy Polo the most are those from places where it is more difficult to get prime beef.

In any case, I'd eat in any of the four specialty restaurants every night if I could.

Texas beef is pretty tough compared to what we have here in the Midwest. Oddly enough some of that other stuff has made it here. St Louis has a pretty fair Italian section. There are literally hundreds of Asian eateries in the area where I live, all different styles.

Good food is where you get it, and amazingly enough people on the coasts don't have a lock on it, although many of them think they do.

Of course the whole food discussion is subjective, and after a while becomes pointless.

Texas beef is pretty tough compared to what we have here in the Midwest. Oddly enough some of that other stuff has made it here. St Louis has a pretty fair Italian section. There are literally hundreds of Asian eateries in the area where I live, all different styles.

Good food is where you get it, and amazingly enough people on the coasts don't have a lock on it, although many of them think they do.

Of course the whole food discussion is subjective, and after a while becomes pointless.

I wasn't referring to "good food" vs. less than good food. For me it is about authentic food. Where we live there are plenty of Asian, Indian and Mexican restaurants but, IMO, they are not authentic. And, we do not have much of an ethnic population in the town we live in. People raised here think the Mexican food is delicious......however, having been raised in an area with a high population of people from Mexico, we do find the food very bland and Americanized. Even though the owners of the restaurants are from Asia, India or Mexico, they are forced to prepare the food for the tastes of those who live here. BTW, the area where we live has extremely fresh salmon, sole, crab and halibut. So, IMO, this is where this city shines.

While you may get good beef where you live (as do we), IMO, there are certain areas of the country that prepare it better than anywhere else. I know that this is subjective.

So, while Red Ginger is Asian fusion, it really isn't true Chinese, Thai, Japanese or Korean but is delicious. Jacques is French but not quite the same as what you get in France. Polo has great steaks but, IMO, does not compare with Texas. Lastly, Toscana...... such a beautiful restaurant but, again, it does not hold a candle to little Italy in New York City (nor do I think it was meant to).

Definitely do not think the "coasts" have a lock or much except seafood and, at least in my opinion, Los Angeles has a pretty good on lock on Mexican food and New York Italian food is hard to beat. Just my opinion:)

Now I'm hungry and need to go out to eat.

[quote name=Travelcat2;41577262 Lastly' date=' Toscana...... such a beautiful restaurant but, again, it does not hold a candle to little Italy in New York City (nor do I think it was meant to).

[/quote]

TC -- no one goes to Little Italy to get great Italian food any more -- not for the last 35 years. it is a tourist trap.

There is great Italian food in NY - e.g. Felidia, Del Posto, Maialino -- among many others -- but you won't find it in Little Italy.

The concept of "Good" is subjective My point was that the local where people live will influence what we think is good. Its borne from our cultural upbringing. It is not pointless but very subjective to understand any cuisine is morphed into what the locals like.

Italian and Asian food for example in the mid west is tailored to mid west taste...Not like No. Calif or NY.

Same with an Asian in NY state will taste nothing near what it will in Calif . Then dine on Aisian food in Colorado or Missouri and It will not resemble any other.

Two different places/ markets/taste for two different customers.

Food that's great in your region is the product, I believe, of it being crafted for your regional likes. Whether it is "authentic" is no matter. It is what people in the region believe it should be.

Take Italian.... places like Marconi Grill and Olive Garden are thought by many to be "authentic" Italian. Too, California Mexican is totally different than Texas Mexican..... and neither bears much resemblances to Mexican food in Mexico and then there is New Mexico Mexican and Colorado Mexican, etc.

Everyone thus believes that they have great food because it is made for them and their friends tastes. .and of course they are always right.. We, you and I have been conditioned like pavlofs dogs to like what we like.

I disagree that you can't get good Italian food in NYC's Little Italy ... but you DO have to go to the "right" place. Not just any place.

I've never been happy with Mexican food in NYC although you can get interesting Cuban/Chinese and other variations ... (I grew up in L.A. where the Mexican food is far better ... or at least it was when I was younger. On recent trips -- in the past 10 years or so -- I've had good meals, but not as good as I remember from my childhood.)

NYC's Chinatown has many wonderful restaurants ... but you can get good Chinese outside of Chinatown and you can get tourist Chinese outside of Chinatown. Or inside Chinatown.

You can also get wonderful Portuguese cuisine in NYC which is reasonably priced, but again ... you have to know where to go.

Lots of restaurants in NYC ... but it's not always easy to know which one is the right one.

I know of a fabulous place in Brooklyn Heights. A small space ... the neighborhood knows about it... It's not Chinese or Portuguese!

And there are some great Middle Eastern places on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn ... again, the locals know where they are ...

Mura

Little Italy may have touristy places but they still have Lombardi's pizza....the oldest coal fired pizza in NYC. It still shows up on television frequently. Best pizza I have ever had (and, I'm not from New York.)

Fresh halibut or salmon in the Pacific Northwest is amazing. Still think Texas has the best steaks, Florida - best Cuban food, Los Angeles - best Mexican (Texas gets a thumbs down with their Tex Mexican). Most importantly, Oceania has he best specialty restaurants (comparing with Regent and Silversea.

Hi

My ratings based on Marina cruises and Nautica(for Polo, Toscana and Terrace) would be

and my personal tastes for which we are all different

Jacques (love french style and escargots and rum crepes(specially made) to die for)

Polo(cooked meat the real blue style)

Toscana (generally close to Italian style)

Terrace(especially outdoors)

Red Ginger(being an Asian foodie(lived in Asia and travelled extensively there) found the food and menu an insult

GDR(one a cruise as food is served to quick and each time we go there is an error with our orders

Waves great for a snack at lunch and some great smoothies

Also enjoy the afternoon teas in Horizons.

On Marina Barista's was very good as the chap making the coffees was Italian as was his offsider so they could make real coffee if ordered that way

As indicated food quality and tastes are a personal so as you can see everyone is different

However, in general food provided on Oceania is very good.

I wasn't referring to "good food" vs. less than good food. For me it is about authentic food. Where we live there are plenty of Asian, Indian and Mexican restaurants but, IMO, they are not authentic. And, we do not have much of an ethnic population in the town we live in. People raised here think the Mexican food is delicious......however, having been raised in an area with a high population of people from Mexico, we do find the food very bland and Americanized. Even though the owners of the restaurants are from Asia, India or Mexico, they are forced to prepare the food for the tastes of those who live here. BTW, the area where we live has extremely fresh salmon, sole, crab and halibut. So, IMO, this is where this city shines.

While you may get good beef where you live (as do we), IMO, there are certain areas of the country that prepare it better than anywhere else. I know that this is subjective.

So, while Red Ginger is Asian fusion, it really isn't true Chinese, Thai, Japanese or Korean but is delicious. Jacques is French but not quite the same as what you get in France. Polo has great steaks but, IMO, does not compare with Texas. Lastly, Toscana...... such a beautiful restaurant but, again, it does not hold a candle to little Italy in New York City (nor do I think it was meant to).

Definitely do not think the "coasts" have a lock or much except seafood and, at least in my opinion, Los Angeles has a pretty good on lock on Mexican food and New York Italian food is hard to beat. Just my opinion:)

Now I'm hungry and need to go out to eat.

Jackie,

My husband and I have travelled extensively throughout France. We have eaten at cafes, brasseries, bistros, and Michelin starred (1,2 and 3 stars) restaurants.

To say that the food at Jaques is not the same as you get in France is absurd. The restaurant is named after Jaques Pepin, one of the most famous chefs of France, who helped design the menu and continues to consult with Oceania. There is no "one" type of French food on this ship or in France. There are many types of French cuisine including multitudes of recipes and preparations. I'd categorize Jacques as an upscale French restaurant with many classic items, such foie gras, lobster bisque, roasted lamb, crepes, etc. It is impossible for one restaurant to include all types of French cuisine, just like it would be impossible in France. In my opinion Jacques is a good representation of classic French fare.

Edited by juli2020

I'd categorize Jacques as an upscale French restaurant

Jacques is a perfectly lovely French restaurant, but it is not an upscale French Restaurant, it is a BISTRO which is just the way that chef Pépin designed it and wants it.

To some people, all French food, because it is rich, comes across "upscale", but for those who know French cuisine, the selections at Jacques are decidedly simple and homey in nature.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/menus/jacques/Jacques-Main-Menu.pdf

Jacques is a perfectly lovely French restaurant, but it is not an upscale French Restaurant, it is a BISTRO which is just the way that chef Pépin designed it and wants it.

To some people, all French food, because it is rich, comes across "upscale", but for those who know French cuisine, the selections at Jacques are decidedly simple and homey in nature.[/B] [/size]

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/menus/jacques/Jacques-Main-Menu.pdf

"A bistro is a small type of restaurant serving moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting. Bistros are defined mostly by the foods they serve. French home-style cooking, and slow-cooked foods like cassoulet, a bean stew, are typical".

I would not consider Jacques a modest setting or serving simple dishes. I am not comparing Jacques to a starred Michelin restaurant.

BTW I do know French Cuisine very well.

Little Italy may have touristy places but they still have Lombardi's pizza....the oldest coal fired pizza in NYC. It still shows up on television frequently. Best pizza I have ever had (and, I'm not from New York.)

Fresh halibut or salmon in the Pacific Northwest is amazing. Still think Texas has the best steaks, Florida - best Cuban food, Los Angeles - best Mexican (Texas gets a thumbs down with their Tex Mexican). Most importantly, Oceania has he best specialty restaurants (comparing with Regent and Silversea.

Having grown up in the Chicago area, no pizza anywhere can hold a candle to Chicago style pizza thus proving Hawaiidan's point.

As to Texas having the best steaks, that is only because the beef is imported from states where they grain feed the cows. Texas does know how to prepare the steaks but, anyone praising Texas beef doesn't understand how bad tasting and tough grass fed beef is.

Have to be careful when purchasing beef in the grocery stores here as some stores try to sell grass fed beef and they certainly aren't worth the cheaper prices.

Having grown up in the Chicago area, no pizza anywhere can hold a candle to Chicago style pizza thus proving Hawaiidan's point.

As to Texas having the best steaks, that is only because the beef is imported from states where they grain feed the cows. Texas does know how to prepare the steaks but, anyone praising Texas beef doesn't understand how bad tasting and tough grass fed beef is.

Have to be careful when purchasing beef in the grocery stores here as some stores try to sell grass fed beef and they certainly aren't worth the cheaper prices.

Grass fed beef is sold at a premimum price because like all "organic" stuff there is a lower yeld of product. Cheaper? where I have never seen it any place but at top dollar

As to best beef... I think Nebraska and Colorado come in tops... that's where the Japanese raise Kobe quality and the like... Most premium places get supplied from those states

As to French cooking... that is a matter of the chef and his staff/suppliers

French cooking in Province in not like Ardeche which is not like Brittiany or Jura. The ambiance of a place has no relation to the cuisine. Bistro style, or Haute or can be served in any surrounding.

This I will defend Jim and Stans judgment that Jaques is bistro food in an more upscale surrounding.. Just as you could equally find haute in a casual café with an inspired chef. Its the food not the table cloth that defines the nature of cuisine.

It is worth noting that Michelin rates not only food, but service and ambiance. Do not confuse the latter 2 with the former.

And yes I have been to France too...since 1977... and eaten and trained at cordon bleu...

We have friends who could confirm each restaurant last week. We have been included in those reservations. As of today, our ability has opened up. BUT, I am finding, that I cannot make additional reservations. We were going to have ANOTHER group of friends join us when I was able to confirm, but not possible.

Can anyone offer suggestions for this concern. This is our first Oceania cruise, so would really appreciate some advise.

Thank you.

We have friends who could confirm each restaurant last week. We have been included in those reservations. As of today, our ability has opened up. BUT, I am finding, that I cannot make additional reservations. We were going to have ANOTHER group of friends join us when I was able to confirm, but not possible.

Can anyone offer suggestions for this concern. This is our first Oceania cruise, so would really appreciate some advise.

Thank you.

Your friends will have to make their own reservations OR you can once on board try to organize something. You have in essence used up your guarantees and now must rely on chance.

Too I don't know how many folks your planning on there are table limits. perhaps the main dining room would be better and have seating to accommodate a large party. 6-8-10?

However as you add more people you thusly limit your options.

Why don't you book Prive for $250 and get a private dining room, your pick of the venue it come from and have everything controlled... 10 people is only $25 pp