Worse than they thought

tbill

a lot of these threads i read about this cruise come for folks that have no idea as to what they are talking about.....

here are the facts from 2 cruisers that just got off that cruise 4 pm yesterday, my wife and I.:

great crew

clean rooms

clean bedding

hot showers

clean towels

super great food

terrific drinks

very caring staff

2 great ports

sunning at the pool

8 days on the water

AND ALL OUR MONEY BACK----WOW

knowing what I know now, I would be the first person in line to book this cruise again, and again, and again

Edited by phish tales

The CDC has said they'd have results later this week. I take that to mean today or tomorrow. I believe the cruise line is continuing on schedule to disinfect and depart on Friday. My understanding is the CDC does have the authority to hold up the ship if this turns out to be something other than Noro and they believe the ship is not safe to sail from a health perspective.

K, Let's hear the results? Where are they? Ships sails is just a little over 24 hours from now?

Jimbo:)

a lot of these threads i read about this cruise come for folks that have no idea as to what they are talking about.....

here are the facts from 2 cruisers that just got off that cruise 4 pm yesterday, my wife and I.:

great crew

clean rooms

clean bedding

hot showers

clean towels

super great food

terrific drinks

very caring staff

2 great ports

sunning at the pool

8 days on the water

AND ALL OUR MONEY BACK----WOW

knowing what I know now, I would be the first person in line to book this cruise again, and again, and again

Guess you weren't one of the sick ones huh? Might feel a little different about it if you were.

Guess you weren't one of the sick ones huh? Might feel a little different about it if you were.

jimbo, i see you are still confused. we were sick ---one day, they gave us excellent medical treatment, got healthy and really enjoyed our cruise.

see what i meant about some folks have no idea as to what they are talking about.......:confused::confused:

How can RCCL or the CDC put 3000 more passengers on that ship this Friday and not know for sure what the problem was? How does that make sense?

You would think they could speed of the process to find out what caused this and why 1000 people got sick?

Perhaps because they have been through this so many times before. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Been there, done that. We all know why the people got sick. Once the ship has been cleaned, life will be good.

Until the next group of sick people come aboard.

Perhaps because they have been through this so many times before. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Been there, done that. We all know why the people got sick. Once the ship has been cleaned, life will be good.

Until the next group of sick people come aboard.

The next group of sick people (with contaminated belongings) can very well be the ones waiting in that NYC hotel to reboard the ship tomorrow for the second led of their back to back sailing on the Explorer.

A few years ago I was on a 14 night cruise . There had been a lot of noro on the sailing before, so extra cleaning had been done and precautions were in place. In addition, I did everything conceivable to avoid getting sick-including not even playing the slots so I wouldn't touch coins or parts of the machines that had been contaminated.

Nevertheless, I and others got it. But, we apparently all were very responsible in reporting to medical and by the second week it was all but eliminated.

Let me emphasize that it would not have been controlled if those of us who got sick hadn't reported ourselves. Anyone who would fail to do so has absolutely no consideration for other passengers and crew. If I discovered such people I would turn them in and if was in authority, they would have a guard outside their door and would be kicked off the ship at the next port.

I was quarantined for 4 days and my wife (as a precaution) for one day. I didn't whine or complain. I didn't ask for compensation, and was thrilled when they gave me $100 per day as a future cruise credit. Plus, I was given medication, a diet that helped, and videos to occupy my time. Luckily there was a pause button ;).

The compensation offered to the passengers on this cruise is generous and shame on those who think they are entitle to more.

My attitude is that I am blessed beyond the comprehension of most people in this world. Simply being on a cruise ship is unimaginable to those who have never even drunk potable water or had sanitary facilities.

So what if I got sick for a few days. People get sick, and I was simply unlucky to have it happen to me on a cruise.

One of my biggest concerns is that the crew got tipped as they normally would-or even more considering all the extra time and unpleasant tasks they would have had. Unfortunately, there are likely people who took their displeasure out on the crew-and shame on those who did.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

A few years ago I was on a 14 night cruise . There had been a lot of noro on the sailing before, so extra cleaning had been done and precautions were in place. In addition, I did everything conceivable to avoid getting sick-including not even playing the slots so I wouldn't touch coins or parts of the machines that had been contaminated.

Nevertheless, I and others got it. But, we apparently all were very responsible in reporting to medical and by the second week it was all but eliminated.

Let me emphasize that it would not have been controlled if those of us who got sick hadn't reported ourselves. Anyone who would fail to do so has absolutely no consideration for other passengers and crew. If I discovered such people I would turn them in and if was in authority, they would have a guard outside their door and would be kicked off the ship at the next port.

I was quarantined for 4 days and my wife (as a precaution) for one day. I didn't whine or complain. I didn't ask for compensation, and was thrilled when they gave me $100 per day as a future cruise credit. Plus, I was given medication, a diet that helped, and videos to occupy my time. Luckily there was a pause button ;).

The compensation offered to the passengers on this cruise is generous and shame on those who think they are entitle to more.

My attitude is that I am blessed beyond the comprehension of most people in this world. Simply being on a cruise ship is unimaginable to those who have never even drunk potable water or had sanitary facilities.

So what if I got sick for a few days. People get sick, and I was simply unlucky to have it happen to me on a cruise.

One of my biggest concerns is that the crew got tipped as they normally would-or even more considering all the extra time and unpleasant tasks they would have had. Unfortunately, there are likely people who took their displeasure out on the crew-and shame on those who did.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

Great post!

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

now wyufan has hit the nail on the head-----

great great post wyufan.

yes you can get sick anywhere, this cruise did and got all our cruise fare back. we were bless by the care and generosity of RCCL.

life is good, and RCCL is the greatest...........

Let me say first that i do not know anything about this virus.

But it was very strange to me that we left Bayonne at 5:00pm on tues. and by weds. night people were getting sick. Not a few people but many.

By late thurs. am there was a congo line to the medical and it lasted well into thurs night. My wife was one who fell ill about 2:00am thurs and went to the medical about 7:00pm thurs. as she was to ill to go sooner.

She had a # given to her (344) and we waited about 2 1/2 hours to see the doc.

when we left there were people still coming down and they were up to the 390's. People were still getting sick the weds. when the ship returned.

As for me i was ok.

Now, let me state that on tues. evening and weds. morning in the dining rooms i personally witnessed people going past the Purell machines and entering the eating area. There was a person standing there but do not make sure everyone used the Purell.

We were recently on a Princess cruise in Sept. and you could not get past a crew member if you did not washy washy.

I feel this was on the ship before we got on as it was to soon and to many cases.

As for the ship itself it is something out of the 70's. We had a crt tv in the room and everything looked like something out of Miami Vice.

There was no childrens camp from day one. (strange)

The internet blocked the domains of outlook, g-mail, and hotmail.

This was after you bought a package for useage. Glad to say that complaining about this Ms. Jacobo at guest relations she zeroed out the charge.

The food was probably the lowest rated of all lines we have sailed.

The noon lunch was poor and the selection was worse.

Staff was great but we feel they were under-staffed. It just did not seem right.

We by-passed Labadee went on to San-Juan. There we found out the food was replaced and the CDC came on. On to St. Thomas and people were still getting ill then corporate make the decision to return to port.

We had a meeting on Monday with the capt. in the theater and comp. was to be $400. People went crazy as we had missed 2 stops, shows were adjusted along the way. Later we were told corp. reconsidered and granted the 50% refund and 50% towards a later cruise. We would not sail with RCI again as WE and i WE feel there are other lines we sailed with that were better. We went on this trip as friends asked us to go along with them. They did not get ill. In all it was not the best of times for many.:(

But it was very strange to me that we left Bayonne at 5:00pm on tues. and by weds. night people were getting sick. Not a few people but many.

By late thurs. am there was a congo line to the medical and it lasted well into thurs night. My wife was one who fell ill about 2:00am thurs and went to the medical about 7:00pm thurs. as she was to ill to go sooner.

when we left there were people still coming down and they were up to the 390's. People were still getting sick the weds. when the ship returned.

As for me i was ok.

Now, let me state that on tues. evening and weds. morning in the dining rooms i personally witnessed people going past the Purell machines and entering the eating area. There was a person standing there but do not make sure everyone used the Purell.

We were recently on a Princess cruise in Sept. and you could not get past a crew member if you did not washy washy.

I feel this was on the ship before we got on as it was to soon and to many cases.

As for the ship itself it is something out of the 70's. We had a crt tv in the room and everything looked like something out of Miami Vice.

This was after you bought a package for useage. Glad to say that complaining about this Ms. Jacobo at guest relations she zeroed out the charge.

Staff was great but we feel they were under-staffed. It just did not seem right.

We by-passed Labadee went on to San-Juan. There we found out the food was replaced and the CDC came on. On to St. Thomas and people were still getting ill then corporate make the decision to return to port.

We had a meeting on Monday with the capt. in the theater and comp. was to be $400. People went crazy as we had missed 2 stops, shows were adjusted along the way. Later we were told corp. reconsidered and granted the 50% refund and 50% towards a later cruise. We would not sail with RCI again as WE and i WE feel there are other lines we sailed with that were better. We went on this trip as friends asked us to go along with them. They did not get ill. In all it was not the best of times for many.:(

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion with us. I hope you decide to give Royal Caribbean another chance in the future, possibly on a newer ship. Either way, enjoy your next cruise where ever you end up.:)

The next group of sick people (with contaminated belongings) can very well be the ones waiting in that NYC hotel to reboard the ship tomorrow for the second led of their back to back sailing on the Explorer.

You're right. That's possible. But lets say, hypothetically, all of those passengers are "clean". The ship is "clean" (as certified by the CDC). A new passenger ("infected", but not showing symptoms) gets on, gets ill on day 2 or 3, and then simply stays in their cabin and doesn't inform anyone. They feel better in a day or so, but now they've exposed crew members to the virus. So the following week you get a massive outbreak again. What happens then?

You're right. That's possible. But lets say, hypothetically, all of those passengers are "clean". The ship is "clean" (as certified by the CDC). A new passenger ("infected", but not showing symptoms) gets on, gets ill on day 2 or 3, and then simply stays in their cabin and doesn't inform anyone. They feel better in a day or so, but now they've exposed crew members to the virus. So the following week you get a massive outbreak again. What happens then?

Obviously, ... to some, (can't name names :eek:) it will be Royal's fault, and everyone should get their money back, ... and a free cruise. :rolleyes:

Are they going to get new crew? I would be worried about that most.....

As for me i was ok.

Why do you think they blocked the domains? Because they don't want you communicating what is happening on the ship.

We are going to see our friends that were on the ship tonight. I can't wait to hear her account of what happened. She sent a text last night saying that they survived but that is all I know right now.

There's no guarentee they're not still passing the virus amongst themselves.

There's no guarantee a "new" passenger doesn't have the virus. My point is I don't see any way ANY cruise line can give a 100% guarantee noro won't break out on a cruise.

I noticed on our recent disease free cruise that certain email providers were also blocked, so apparently it is not due to some heinous plot to keep passengers from communicating with the outside world. Other providers worked fine.

I suspect that as militant as tbill has been on this issue, their friends will be intimidated and I doubt their report will truly reflect their experience.

There's no guarantee a "new" passenger doesn't have the virus. My point is I don't see any way ANY cruise line can give a 100% guarantee noro won't break out on a cruise.

I agree...but would still be worried as they are the ones cooking and serving.

A guest did report that the ship did remove and replace the food in St Thomas before CDC arrived...maybe it was the food...that would be a relief for future guests and stop the spreading of the illness

Edited by 20pluscruises

As for me i was ok.

Thanks for your informative review.

Just curious, did they offer any explanation why they blocked the gmail etc. domains, seems to me being able to send and receive emails (via gmail) is one of the feature why people pay extra to sign up for the internet package(s) in the first place!

Why do you think they blocked the domains? Because they don't want you communicating what is happening on the ship.

We are going to see our friends that were on the ship tonight. I can't wait to hear her account of what happened. She sent a text last night saying that they survived but that is all I know right now.

Certain domains have always been blocked so this is not new. What is the theory? :rolleyes:

Edited by cruisingator2