Hard liquor for sale

huggs

Hi everyone,

I have looked on the NCl site and it would appear that you can purchase wine and beer to have in your room. Can hard liquor be purchased. I have done this on another cruise line and found it nice to be able to have cocktails in our cabin with friends etc. I read somewhere that someone had mentioned having a bar set up in their cabin ? We are booked on a balcony cabin April 2015 on the Jewel /Panama cruise .

Thanks for your help.

You can always buy drinks of course onboard like beer, wine, etc.

You can take wine aboard and pay $15 per bottle corkage fee, no matter WHERE you drink it.

You can not take beer or hard stuff on board.

You can buy a bar setup. Scroll down the page and you will see many threads about this.

The two meaty threads on pre- and post-sailing Bar Set Up have scrolled down to the 14th page of this board.

Basically -- e-mail GroupEventJewel@ncl.com (people on other ships substitute you ship's name for Jewel) and ask for the current list and prices. Pride Of America, I do not know if bar-setup is available or whether your Group Event Coordinator is at GroupEventPride or GroupEventPrideofAmerica. There is also a phone number -- 1(800) 327-9020 -- which I used (with provided extension) to make my order after first exchanging e-mails. You will pay when ordering. Use your passenger or reservation number in case of cabin change!

The list hasn't changed, not even the prices, in several years, but you should get a fresh copy anyway! The price increments are (currently) $80, $100, and $120 per bottle, most bottles being 1-liter, a few specialty liquors/liqueurs are 750ml. $3 service fee added to each bottle.

The return e-mail will say that you need to order bar setup before embarkation, and that you'll get 3 mixers and 3 'garnishes' per bottle. I think that implies that you can't get a bottle for your room post-sailing -- but you can! You can get a bottle at any bar -- base prices are the same, but the list is almost entirely different, and you get 6 mixers, no garnishes. And you pay 15% gratuity instead of the $3/bottle.

While $80/100/120 seems VERY HIGH for a bottle of liquor, for our recent cruise, the math looked like this:

14-day Panama Canal trip for two people

2 bottles of Captain Morgan Rum pre-cruise bar setup -- US$166

2 bottles of BACARDI Oakheart if bought on board -- $184

same number of simple blends or shots, by the 1.5oz drink -- $291.24

UBP --$1578

Additional fact -- you can take your cabin-poured drink anywhere on the ship.

Caveats -- I do not know if there is a maximum "days-out" that they sell pre-cruise bar setup. That would be a question to ask in your e-mail. And of course, the price is subject to change (as it hasn't in at least two years).

PS:

Remember you can take your own sealed non-alcoholic mixers on board at embarkation OR any port.

Soft drinks on the TopMast menu are $2.10+15% gratuity. Remember to specify "an unopened can" if you intend to take it to your cabin. I have read that the soda in the mini-bar fridge is the same price as at the bar -- though the liquor is more! -- but I didn't check that myself.

Edited by crystalspin

Hi everyone,

I have looked on the NCl site and it would appear that you can purchase wine and beer to have in your room. Can hard liquor be purchased. I have done this on another cruise line and found it nice to be able to have cocktails in our cabin with friends etc. I read somewhere that someone had mentioned having a bar set up in their cabin ? We are booked on a balcony cabin April 2015 on the Jewel /Panama cruise .

Thanks for your help.

yes, you can have a bar set up in your cabin. We think they are pricey, but still cheaper than ordering by the drink and it is nice to have a bottle or two in your cabin when you start your cruise. We didn't do this our last cruise, but will the cruise coming up in April. All you have to do is call NCL or check the website for prices. We also will purchase wine using the wine package when we board. That way we can have our wine wherever we choose, cabin or otherwise.

The two meaty threads on pre- and post-sailing Bar Set Up have scrolled down to the 14th page of this board.

Basically -- e-mail GroupEventJewel@ncl.com (people on other ships substitute you ship's name for Jewel) and ask for the current list and prices. Pride Of America, I do not know if bar-setup is available or whether your Group Event Coordinator is at GroupEventPride or GroupEventPrideofAmerica. There is also a phone number -- 1(800) 327-9020 -- which I used (with provided extension) to make my order after first exchanging e-mails. You will pay when ordering. Use your passenger or reservation number in case of cabin change!

The list hasn't changed, not even the prices, in several years, but you should get a fresh copy anyway! The price increments are (currently) $80, $100, and $120 per bottle, most bottles being 1-liter, a few specialty liquors/liqueurs are 750ml. $3 service fee added to each bottle.

The return e-mail will say that you need to order bar setup before embarkation, and that you'll get 3 mixers and 3 'garnishes' per bottle. I think that implies that you can't get a bottle for your room post-sailing -- but you can! You can get a bottle at any bar -- base prices are the same, but the list is almost entirely different, and you get 6 mixers, no garnishes. And you pay 15% gratuity instead of the $3/bottle.

While $80/100/120 seems VERY HIGH for a bottle of liquor, for our recent cruise, the math looked like this:

Additional fact -- you can take your cabin-poured drink anywhere on the ship.

Caveats -- I do not know if there is a maximum "days-out" that they sell pre-cruise bar setup. That would be a question to ask in your e-mail. And of course, the price is subject to change (as it hasn't in at least two years).

Thanks for the timely info, email on the way to the Group Event mailbox on the Gem:D (and I did ask them how close to sailing I needed to be in order to place my order).

Thanks for the timely info, email on the way to the Group Event mailbox on the Gem:D (and I did ask them how close to sailing I needed to be in order to place my order).

No need to contact Group Event anymore. Any Ncl reservation rep can now place your order. Just pick up the phone and call

I think I read somewhere in a previous post that you can purchase the bar set up after you board. Is this not true?

Last year on the Star I was able to purchase the package after boarding. I was not aware that it needed to be done in advance. We were staying in a suite, and our butler at first said that it couldn't be done, and that it had to be done before boarding. However, he did pursue it for me and was able to get our order filled.