Hello from the Sun Princess

Hello from the Sun Princess :)

We are having a nice time on-board!

I don’t think we have every got on a ship as fast as we did on Saturday (25 Jan), we were on by 12noon!!, I think we may have been the first few on the Sun Princess!, Check in was great, mind you they did try and take our wine off us after we went thought security, but they in the end did not....

As we were leaving Sydney we had to wait for the Pacific Jewel to pass behind us, before we could leave and it sounded like they were having a great time, as just before they went under the bridge, a big cheer went up!!.

Leaving Sydney was interesting!, as when we got to the heads, the seas where quite lumpy and pilot had a fun time getting off!! (And I think a few first time cruises would have got there sea legs very quickly!!;-).

The two seas days the seas since we left Sydney the seas have been quite lumpy / rough (On Monday 27th Jan 2014) we had Force 8 winds!), but the wind / seas have been going to side of the ship, so it has not been too bad on-board.

On Sunday (26th Jan 2014)we celebrate Australia day on board, it was good, they had a pie eating and pavlova eating contest (Can you believe that 2 Kiwis was in the pavlova eating contest as well :) ), and a party that night.

The ship is looking very flash with the international café and Kai Sushi, but she definitely has an asian feel to her.

On board we have 70 Children and there is 30 Kiwis :) ;-)

On Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 were at the Isle of Pines, and I think we were very lucky to make it there today as it was quite windy there today (I have not known it to be so windy there!!) (The night before at the caption welcome party, hinted that we may not be able to make it!, but in the end we did.)

We had a good day snorkelling there.

Also at the end of the day as they were packing up the tenders one off the tender broke down, so another tender had to go and bring it to the ship!.

Will try and post again soon :-)

Sounds great! We're sailing on Sun Princess at Christmas. Can't wait ;)

Is Kai Sushi an "extra charge" restaurant? If so, what price?

Also I'm trying to figure out if the pool in the Sanctuary is actually a swimming pool. I've heard that it might be very shallow. Any chance you you check it out for me?

Thanks.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yes it is. $20 ea

Bummer! That's actually quite expensive. I was hoping it would be included, or at least a lot cheaper, as I love sushi for lunch.

It would be interesting to hear how popular it is on non-Japanese cruises. I suspect the extra cost will stop a lot of people from going to it more than once, if that.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Bummer! That's actually quite expensive. I was hoping it would be included, or at least a lot cheaper, as I love sushi for lunch.

It would be interesting to hear how popular it is on non-Japanese cruises. I suspect the extra cost will stop a lot of people from going to it more than once, if that.

We were on a cruise around New Zealand in November, the Sushi restaurant was hardly used at all, the only customers I saw there were staff.

A pity because it used to be a nice place to sit and perhaps have a cup of coffee when other places were crowded, a pity.:confused:

Thanks for posting Kiwi cruiser I'm sure you will have a great cruise we always do on Princess.

Edited by sun-set

We were on a cruise around New Zealand in November, the Sushi restaurant was hardly used at all, the only customers I saw there were staff.

A pity because it used to be a nice place to sit and perhaps have a cup of coffee when other places were crowded, now it's just wasted space.:confused:

Such a shame. I guess it will be popular when the ship cruises Japan but they may have to rethink it's use for Australia/NZ cruises, or lower the price.

Hello from the Sun Princess

The caption has just come on, to tell us that we are no longer going to Port Denarau, Fiji tomorrow, due to flooding / dock damage in Port Denarau. (Sounds like they had a storm in the last day or so)

So we are going to Suva, Fiji tomorrow, I think.

We are going to get a new Itinerary latter this afternoon, so will post an update latter :)

Got our new Itinerary tonight here it is:

Tomorrow 31 Jan 2014 – Suva

1st Feb 2014 - Savusavu, Fiji

2nd Feb 2014 - Port Denarau, Fiji

3rd 2nd Feb 2014 - Dravuni Island

At least you still get to go to Port Denarau on Sunday, enjoy your cruise.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I was watching the ship come in this morning and saw it when I went to the market. Didn't see that many passengers wandering around. There was a lot of rain in the past 36 hours and Nadi was flooded yesterday and many roads closed. It was very wet here and was supposed to rain all day today but it stopped last night.

Hello again from the Sun Princess

We are still having a great time :), The food has been good, and hot!, the entertainment has not been too bad, but it is strange that they have a Production show or some other entertainment and a theme night (Like 60’s night, country and western etc..) on at the same time.

Most off the crew has been good, our cabin steward has been good!, much better than the one we had on the Sea Princess for our 35 day cruse!

Since I last posted we have been to Port Vila, Suva, Savusavu, Port Denarau and Dravuni Island.

Here is a quick rundown off what we did in those places:

* Port Vila – We did not arrive in to Vila till about 9:30am, and was nice to see us arrive in to Vila, which was a first for me.

We took a water taxi to the town, which was neat and it was quick as well! (I think it was about $5AUD per person for a water taxi) We went to Fung Kuei to get to do some duty free shopping for some Australian friend’s (We can’t take any duty free from Vila back to NZ :( ), then we just had a look around the town, got a couple of drinks and then looked thought the fruit and veg market, then we got a water taxi back to the ship, after we got some food, I went and check out the market next to the ship.

It was an overcast, but warm/hot day, and we did also get some rain as well, which was nice! (Apart from in coming on when we were in the water taxi back to the ship!!, we did not get too wet)

I had hoped to go over to Iririki Island, but found out in the morning, that they now want $18 for a day pass :( (We even went to the local information centre, to double check this) (Don’t know if this is because we were in??), but we decided not to go over as it was going to cost us too much to go there for 3 – 4 hours.

* Suva – As we were just in Suva two months back, we did not do very much, this time, we just had a look around the shops / markets, and then we went to a resort we found online to see what it was like, and it was nice, so we spent the rest of the day there.

Sail way from Suva was great, The Suva police band played, they were great as usual!

* Savusavu – When we got ashore, we found a local tour to do some snorkelling in the afternoon, after that we had a look around the town, then it was time to meet up with the local tour and we went snorkelling, it was great!

*Port Denarau – We had a looked around the shops in the marina and then we got the bula bus to the Radisson resort, and we spent the rest of the day there and then we had a walk thought a couple of other resorts before catching the bula bus back to the marina.

* Dravuni Island – We spent the day snorkelling here :), and I managed to get to the other side off Dravuni Island, which was neat, but did not get to snorkel there :(

Will post about Noumea, latter on.

We are now on our way back home :(

PS: On Thursday night we even had some theatre rage!!

Hello from the Sun Princess :)

We are having a nice time on-board!

I don’t think we have every got on a ship as fast as we did on Saturday (25 Jan), we were on by 12noon!!, I think we may have been the first few on the Sun Princess!, Check in was great, mind you they did try and take our wine off us after we went thought security, but they in the end did not....

Just wondering why did they try to take wine off you, did you have too much?:D