Multitude of Questions

idaho2some

We have a large group (10-12 couples) wanting to plan a European River Cruise in 2015. We are liking the idea of a couple of weeks an have kind of zeroed in on an Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary. We are just starting the selection process and here are some of the first questions that have come up........

- We think the "season" is about April to October, however we have question going early in the spring possibly due to high water levels/floods and wonder about late season possibly due to drought/low water. That would seem to suggest that maybe the June/July timeframe would be a good choice. Is there an opinion out there on the best time to cruise in Europe?

- Can anyone recommend a good cruise consultant (what does TA stand for?) with specific experience in European River Cruises? Might be nice if they were US based, but I guess that's not critical as long as they speak English.

- Is there a side of the ship that is preferable? I'm sure that varies by cruise and direction, but thought I'd ask?

- Would there be a problem given the size of our group? I think coordinating everything through a cruise consultant because of the group size might be wise. Opinions?

- I've see a few posts indicating that the times in each port vary generally from early morning to late night. It appears that the ships generally move at night. Is this perception correct or is there also significant movement during the day so that you can see the scenery along the rivers?

- I've read the Tauck is know for being very kid friendly. Does anyone know if that means they are always overrun with children?

What initial questions have we missed? Things we should consider as we make a selection? Things that would help with the selection process?

Thanks very much.

We think the "season" is about April to October, however we have question going early in the spring possibly due to high water levels/floods and wonder about late season possibly due to drought/low water. That would seem to suggest that maybe the June/July timeframe would be a good choice. Is there an opinion out there on the best time to cruise in Europe?

Well, the big flood in 2014 was June (until lock damages were repaired July). You might always experience high water issues from April to July. September - November are the waterlevels rather low. Another thing: The federal states of Germany have their summer vacations for students around July and August. These two month are usually really crowded.

Can anyone recommend a good cruise consultant (what does TA stand for?) with specific experience in European River Cruises? Might be nice if they were US based, but I guess that's not critical as long as they speak English.

I think thats not allowed on the CC board?

Is there a side of the ship that is preferable? I'm sure that varies by cruise and direction, but thought I'd ask?

Not really. While cruising you should prefer the lounge or sundeck to get a scenic 360° view. Double docking (mooring next to another ship) is ordered by local port authorities and thus beyond the influence of cruise companies (but again, the risk is bigger during main season).

I've see a few posts indicating that the times in each port vary generally from early morning to late night. It appears that the ships generally move at night. Is this perception correct or is there also significant movement during the day so that you can see the scenery along the rivers?

Companies usually cruise at night to bring you to the next destination, exept for very lovely views: The Rhine gorge and Wachau valley are cruised during the day. I think the only (minor) cruiseline that tries to cruise every stretch during the day is jerry van dyke (but therefore their cruises take longer: 17 Days for Vienna to Amsterdam / the average cruiseline takes 15 days AMS to Budapest)

- I've read the Tauck is know for being very kid friendly. Does anyone know if that means they are always overrun with children?

Tauck & Uniworld offered a few family cruises (same cities but different activites). Uniworld does not do that for 2014/2015 as far as I know. Most cruiselines do have paragraphs in their terms like this: "Travelers who are under 18 years old on the departure date must be accompanied by an adult throughout the vacation and are requested to share an adult's accommodation. Children under 8 years of age are not allowed on any vacation."

ingo_e answered the questions pretty well, but here's my 2 cents.

Shoulder seasons (April/May and Oct/Nov) are less expensive because the weather is generally cooler and you may not be able to enjoy the top deck. We opt for early fall over early spring, but we're looking at mid-to late June for our next one. July and August are heavy vacation months and there will be more people about.

TA is travel agent. I've discovered there aren't that many travel agents who truely know alot about the different lines, but most cruise companies only allow booking through travel agents. You need to be prepared to do some homework.

Even though cruiselines may have certain family cruises, river cruises are really not a kid-friendly vacation. The majority of river cruisers are retired or at least in the empty-nest stage. I don't think you'd ever see a river cruise overrun with children.

With a large group, realize the tables in most dining rooms and lounge areas are designed for 6-8 people. On our last cruise there was a large family group (probably close to your size) that went to the dining room early to grab one long table which accommodated all of them. In the lounges you will need to break to smaller groups. Just remain flexible about this and even with your group, be open to meeting others on the cruise.

For scheduled excursions, if your group wants to stay to together, let your cruise director know, I know Uniworld has you pick up cards to designate which tour group you're in, they may consider reserving one guide for your group depending on the normal group size -- or you have one person go pick up cards for your entire group when they're first put out. Other cruise lines may differ in how this is done.

I know we've really enjoyed meeting other people on our river cruises. With a large group, you'll miss out on that. I've read in at least one review where a large group on a river cruise changed the dynamic significantly. A group with a positive attitude and flexibility towards the whims of mother nature will make the cruise more enjoyable for everyone. You just need to make sure everyone's aware of that going in.

Enjoy the planning! You will be overwhelmed by your choices.

Edited by beesKate

when we were planning Budapest to Amsterdam...one thing that influenced our choice was the return flights....the flight from Budapest was VERY early so we opted to end in Amsterdam which had multiple flights to choose from.

With a group that large Viking may give you a discount on fares dont know about the other lines.

Consider arriving in your embarkation city at least a day early to help with jet lag and cushion any travel difficulties....cancelled flights and lost luggage!

Some European river cruise lines book only through themselves and you can't book them through a TA (Travel Agent). If you are going to be 10-12 couples, that's 20-24 people. On a river cruise boat, that's a large % of the space available as they hold about 120-ish passengers. If your group is going to be that large, I'd start looking (and booking) WELL in advance!

Dear Idaho2some,

We traveled mid to late July from Budapest to July. It got hotter and hotter as the trip went on. During our days in Prague it was over 100 degrees. Heat records were broken. It really affected our ability to walk around and tour the cities. My recommendation would be September and the flights should be cheaper too.

We also did a river cruise in France in May 2013, but it was too cool to be up on the sky deck and for us that is the best way to experience the sights.

I would recommend Avalon. They are not all inclusive which some people prefer. I would rather pay for what I am actually going to use.

Edited by Shebely

If there are 10-12 couples, I would demand group rates, and on top of that special group activities. i.e. to make sure your group stays together on the same bus while touring, tables for 12 so you can sit together etc. Also, Riverboats are small, so you should start looking into 2015 pronto. Do all the couples want the same class of cabin?

Tauck is definitely not overrun with children, it is the most expensive of all the different companies. As mentioned they do have special inter-generational sailings (mostly for Grandpa and Grandma to treat the entire family it seems by the advertisements, lol)

Try contacting each cruise company and she if they have a "group sales" department.

For every nine paid fares on AMA, you get a free berth for one person, so for 18, you'd get 2 free. Plus a 5% group discount. If you find a good TA that books group river cruises, you can get more perks - we are getting $100 onboard credit per person.

It is most important that you take everything into consideration What's most important to meet your group's needs? Then shop around. But, as a previos poster mentioned, I wouldn't waste any time to book a group that size; the popular cruises book up early.

It Europe always better to travel East to West since the weather (rain) travels

West to East.

As some others have pointed out Tauck and Uniworld are the more upscale lines(less children) than some of the other lines.

Edited by orchestrapal

West to East.

As some others have pointed out Tauck and Uniworld are the more upscale lines(less children) than some of the other lines.

Not just Rain, also good weather travels West to East... So if you go East-West You usually just got a bigger Chance of weather changes.

Children are really Not an issue with any cruiseline. I've been on 350-500 Ships over the Last few years and can still count the number of Kids and Teenagers.. Guess the Lack of onboard activities and the Price do help :)

West to East.

Hadn't though of that.

Guess you could look at it both ways. You could travel with the weather, West to East, and be stuck under a rainy system the whole way (or a sunny one!), or you could travel the opposite and experience something new every day!

As we say in New England - Don't like the weather? Just wait a minute and it will change!

We have traveled east to west in Europe two times, and west to east two times - never noticed any pattern at all. Now I'm going to be looking :)

Travel ease is more important to me than weather patterns. I can dress for weather:p We prefer to take the longest flight at the beginning of a trip and a day to recover before we start, because we usually have to go straight back to work after the cruise. If possible, we'd like to go with the time change too.

You can use the Cruise Critic reviews as well as member reviews to get a sense of which river cruise line will best suit your group.

Be sure to think about things such as whether smoking is permitted anywhere (if you have any smokers in the party) and whether there are accessible cabins if anyone has mobility limitations. Some river ships have elevators but many have areas - or whole decks - that cannot be reached without at least a few stairs.

I went through a similar exercise in 2009 planning a family vacation; we needed several cabins so we started a year in advance and even so we didn't have full choice. Going in the 'shoulder' season helps in terms of availability. There will be fewer kids traveling if you go in May or earlier or Sept and later. We've gone twice in late April and late May and never saw any guests under 40.

Many of the river ships do not have tables seating more than 6 people. On AMA Waterways we sailed two different ships which each had 2 tables for 8 people; one was consistently used by the officers and their guests. The seating is typically 'open' too, where you have a choice of whatever tables/seats are unoccupied by the time you enter the dining room, so you will probably never all end up seated together.

Whatever you do, please try to arrive earlier than the day of embarkation if at all possible. Of course, if you are using air provided through the cruise line they may fly you in on the day of arrival. But if you are coming from outside Europe, it will be well worth your while to arrive a few days earlier to get over the jet lag and to let any wayward bags catch up with you. On a 2009 Rhine cruise from Amsterdam there were several people who didn't get their luggage til two days after the sailing; it was misplaced by the airline, and since they flew in on the day of sailing they had no time to shop before the boat left. And three couples MISSED THE BOAT and had to catch up at one of the ports, two days later. They were on a flight from Australia that had mechanical issues.

Once you've decided which cruise line interests you most, do some Google searches for 'Top Travel Agent for XXX Cruises' and similar search terms. You can usually find an article or post about which agencies produce the highest volume of business for a given cruise line. You do want someone who does a lot of business with your chosen cruise brand, as they will be able to negotiate hard on your behalf. You can also research on websites like Conde Nast Traveler to see if they have any special river cruise agents to recommend.

In terms of travel direction, we've done one way each and had changeable weather both times; but it was in the spring so that may have had a lot to do with it. I think mid-Sept would be ideal. Good luck!