Has your passport ever been stolen?

wassup4565

Thanks for replying everyone. I notice all the reports of stolen passports are for places other than the Caribbean.

Two possible reasons for that. One, you have only heard from a tiny fraction of cruisers, so there may be some out there who haven't read your question, or chose not to answer.

Second, a passport is not required for US citizens on a Caribbean cruise if they depart and return to a US port. Because they are not required, many people don't take their passports, resulting in there being fewer to get stolen.

Edited by boogs

Thanks for replying everyone. I notice all the reports of stolen passports are for places other than the Caribbean.

Hi, Wassup,

If you read news reports in the cruising media, you'd actually get quite the opposite impression.

I've seen a fair few reports of tourists being robbed in the Caribbean / Bahamas, sometimes tour groups, often at gunpoint.

That sort of thing is rare but of course is newsworthy - sneak-thieves & pick-pockets are responsible for virtually all thefts but don't hit the news.

As you know, many Americans don't even have a passport, but can cruise closed-loop (almost always the Caribbean/Bahamas) without one.

And even folk, from any country, who fly to the Caribbean are at risk only for their journey out & back, cos most stay on one island/group of islands - often in all-inclusive resorts.

Elsewhere in the world, folk not on cruises often tour from place to place, from country to country, and of course have to schlepp all their belongings with them so are at risk much of the time.

You specifically asked about theft, but most passports are lost rather than stolen.

JB :)

ps I only promised to try to stay out of this thread :D

Hi, Wassup,

If you read news reports in the cruising media, you'd actually get quite the opposite impression.

I've seen a fair few reports of tourists being robbed in the Caribbean / Bahamas, sometimes tour groups, often at gunpoint.

That sort of thing is rare but of course is newsworthy - sneak-thieves & pick-pockets are responsible for virtually all thefts but don't hit the news.

As you know, many Americans don't even have a passport, but can cruise closed-loop (almost always the Caribbean/Bahamas) without one.

And even folk, from any country, who fly to the Caribbean are at risk only for their journey out & back, cos most stay on one island/group of islands - often in all-inclusive resorts.

Elsewhere in the world, folk not on cruises often tour from place to place, from country to country, and of course have to schlepp all their belongings with them so are at risk much of the time.

You specifically asked about theft, but most passports are lost rather than stolen.

ps I only promised to try to stay out of this thread :D

And to expound a little most passports are stolen because they are kept with other valuables- the passport is in the camera bag and the camera gets stolen. Or it's in the purse, or the briefcase, or backpack. In other words it wasn't the primary target but was gravy for the thief (as everyone knows passports are quite valuable on the black market).

Pickpockets don't walk around randomly sticking their hands in people's pockets- if you are their target they have been watching you and they know where the object is that they want to steal (and they even have techniques to get you to show them). If a pickpocket has taken a passport I would be willing to bet that they did so because they knew where it was because the victim had somehow given the location away.

I am now pretty convinced that when the day comes that I have a passport I will be leaving it on the ship unless the country that I am visiting requires me to have it in my possession.

Edited by sparks1093

... .....and they even have techniques to get you to show them

Agreed.

Many pick-pockets work in groups.

If someone suspiciously brushes against you in a crowded place, your automatic reaction is to feel for your wallet/billfold to be sure it's not been taken.

So now the rest of the gang knows where you keep it.

But I did put both of ours through the washer. Replacing them here in Canada would have been easier if I had lost them. Had to go to a Notary Public, swear that the damage was due to washing, pay him 20 bucks for each of us and then back to the passport office where the line had gone from 5 to over 50 in our one hour absence. It was painful

NO, but my aunt did several years ago in Brazil. Her pocketbook was stolen and the pp was in it. What a hassle and expense!!!! She had to go to the embassy or consulate, I don't remember which. We NEVER carry ours with us, a copy, yes. And when traveling to/from and through the airports, terminals, etc, we always carry them on on our person, NOT in a carry on or even a purse.

Two possible reasons for that. One, you have only heard from a tiny fraction of cruisers, so there may be some out there who haven't read your question, or chose not to answer.

Second, a passport is not required for US citizens on a Caribbean cruise if they depart and return to a US port. Because they are not required, many people don't take their passports, resulting in there being fewer to get stolen.

Is it return to A U.S. port or is it return to the same U.S. port from which the ship initially started your cruise? :confused:

We carry color photocopies of our passports and drivers licence in a zippered pocket/packet inside our clothing.

For those of you who dislike a waist belt, look for the style that hangs from a belt loop inside your trousers. Ours are just large enough for a passport, cash, a credit card and our ship cards. We found them VERY comfortable to wear/carry, and completely secure.

Actually we do carry one more thing -- a contact card. If I were to be seriously injured, emergency room personnel would find it.

Name

Ship traveling on

Passport number (not birth date or SS#)

Insurance information

Names of travel companions, phone numbers

Medical Alerts (allergies, diabetes, medications, etc.)

Emergency contact at home

Is it return to A U.S. port or is it return to the same U.S. port from which the ship initially started your cruise? :confused:

It must be the same port. These are called "closed loop" cruises since you make a complete loop from and back to the originating port. The following is copied from the US Customs and Border Protection website:

"Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants)."

Source: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Edited by boogs

It must be the same port. These are called "closed loop" cruises since you make a complete loop from and back to the originating port.

"US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes an original or certified copy of a government issued birth certificate (raised seal and signature) and a laminated government issued picture ID (typically, driver's license), Consular Report of Born Abroad Certificate, or a Certificate of Naturalization. NOTE: Baptismal records and certificates issued by a hospital are not acceptable."

Source: http://www.passportsandvisas.com/passport-requirements/cruise/passportsforcruises.asp

Thanks. That was my point.

Closed Loop cruises.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks. That was my point.

Closed Loop cruises.

See my edit, which replaced the info originally posted with more specific information directly from US Customs. It also states it must be a "closed loop" cruise. And if you already knew that, why did you bait me to look up the answer for you instead of just saying so yourself? :D

Edited by boogs

Me personally, no. But I have personal knowledge -- not just Internet stories -- of several people who had passport problems:

- I was in a group in Mexico City, waiting for a bus during the rain, so everyone was huddled under a cover. When we boarded the bus, we discovered that about half the group -- the people who'd been standing at the back-- had had their purses slashed open and wallets (some containing passports) removed. It was only luck that I was in the middle of the group.

- A friend left her passport in a taxi cab. This woman is on of the most organized, out together people I know. You'd never have believed she'd have done this.

- Another couple I know had their items pick pocketed.

It could happen to any of us at any time. Thieves make it their job to take what you have, and they're very good at it.

Boogs has the right idea: don't carry your ID on your person unless you must do do. Be vigilant about your surroundings, and choose carrying places carefully. These actions won't make you immune to the problem, but they will increase your chances of safety.

Edited by MrsPete

Me personally, no. But I have personal knowledge -- not just Internet stories -- of several people who had passport problems:

- I was in a group in Mexico City, waiting for a bus during the rain, so everyone was huddled under a cover. When we boarded the bus, we discovered that about half the group -- the people who'd been standing at the back-- had had their purses slashed open and wallets (some containing passports) removed. It was only luck that I was in the middle of the group.

- A friend left her passport in a taxi cab. This woman is on of the most organized, out together people I know. You'd never have believed she'd have done this.

- Another couple I know had their items pick pocketed.

It could happen to any of us at any time. Thieves make it their job to take what you have, and they're very good at it.

Boogs has the right idea: don't carry your ID on your person unless you must do do. Be vigilant about your surroundings, and choose carrying places carefully. These actions won't make you immune to the problem, but they will increase your chances of safety.

Why on earth did they have their handbags behind them? Mine stays in front where I can clearly see it at all times. I also never take it completely off--obviously in tightly controlled situations I will when it's warranted. The strap/handles are always around my arm/wrist/shoulder or between my ankles/knees with the strap around my leg.

One thing that makes me crazy are the women who leave their pocketbook in the seat of the grocery cart, wide open, just waiting for a wallet to get pinched while they are bending over to get a can of peas. I keep mine on my person and closed.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Why on earth did they have their handbags behind them? Mine stays in front where I can clearly see it at all times. I also never take it completely off--obviously in tightly controlled situations I will when it's warranted. The strap/handles are always around my arm/wrist/shoulder or between my ankles/knees with the strap around my leg.

One thing that makes me crazy are the women who leave their pocketbook in the seat of the grocery cart, wide open, just waiting for a wallet to get pinched while they are bending over to get a can of peas. I keep mine on my person and closed.

I didn't say they had their purses behind them. At the urging of our tour guide, all of us (it was an all female group) were hugging our purses under one arm or in front of us. They were cut anyway. Do not underestimate the steal and quickness of a determined pickpocket. If they've chosen you as the target, they're going to get you. Not a single victim reported feeling a single thing and every one thought she'd been very careful.

I didn't say they had their purses behind them. At the urging of our tour guide, all of us (it was an all female group) were hugging our purses under one arm or in front of us. They were cut anyway. Do not underestimate the steal and quickness of a determined pickpocket. If they've chosen you as the target, they're going to get you. Not a single victim reported feeling a single thing and every one thought she'd been very careful.

I don't understand how they got to the purse if it were in front if you. Impossible unless you were totally not paying attention to your surroundings.

I don't understand how they got to the purse if it were in front if you. Impossible unless you were totally not paying attention to your surroundings.

I remember watching TV shows where a professional pickpocket removed a host's watch from his wrist in front of everybody, lifted his wallet and put something in his other pocket, all while being in front of him. I would not underestimate their skill.

Edited by sparks1093

I remember watching TV shows where a professional pickpocket removed a host's watch from his wrist in front of everybody, lifted his wallet and put something in his other pocket, all while being in front of him. I would not underestimate their skill.

Maybe I have a heightened sense of personal space and "stranger danger." I took a self defense class last weekend and it was easy to pick the potential victims just by body language. The way they looked at others, held themselves, reacted to potential threats, even in a controlled environment. I have always followed the "better safe than sorry" rule of thumb. I've offended a few people along the way, but would prefer that to becoming a victim.

Maybe I have a heightened sense of personal space and "stranger danger." I took a self defense class last weekend and it was easy to pick the potential victims just by body language. The way they looked at others, held themselves, reacted to potential threats, even in a controlled environment. I have always followed the "better safe than sorry" rule of thumb. I've offended a few people along the way, but would prefer that to becoming a victim.

That is a good thing- most people are oblivious and yes, the professionals know how to spot them.

Well, perhaps you won't understand, but I'm the one who was there.

Before we left the hotel lobby, our tour guide had lectured us on the importance of safety. All the ladies had their purses squeezed under an arm or held in front of them. Even a purse that's held in front of you has a side sticking out towards your underarm. We discovered the thefts after we'd boarded the bus, and it only could've happened while we were in a confined space waiting for the bus (it was raining). All the ladies whose purses were slashed assured us that they'd been very aware of their surroundings and thought they had been careful every moment, yet the evidence was there.

The real moral here is that experienced, determined pickpockets win. much of the time