A cruise on HAL as a carrot on a stick, everyone needs a carrot

Lesinindy

What a wonderful way to keep you on track and keep you going. In the past I have always thought of cruising as a much needed break from work. Now I am seeing it as something else indeed. As I grow older and the my body is slowly falling apart it is much harder to make it through the long weeks of work, this unreal bad winter and keeping up with the usual maintenance on the house, a cruise in my near future is a wonderful carrot on a stick.

1. I long for days of doing nothing if that is what I want to do.

2. I long for days when for just a short time I can forget about the daily routine.

3. I long for mornings where I arise to the sound of room service bringing me my breakfast and enjoying it on the balcony.

4. You cannot beat, eating, sleeping and getting up and doing the same thing the next day

I have been back to reading the posts on CC and many of them sound very familiar. Some things don’t seem to change, but we as persons do change.

I am reminded of how cruising helped get DW and I through the fear and uncertainty of her breast cancer diagnosis. I remember the generosity of Hal and the way she was treated on the cruise before her surgery. That cruise will always be remembered.

It has been about a year and a half since I found out my diagnosis of Parkinson’s. I know that eventually there is a very good chance that the condition will rob me of mobility and independence. But right now I can still get around (albeit slowly) and I still have my independence. It is time to party, complete bucket lists and celebrate the blessing I have.

What a great blessing it is to be able to have Hal as a carrot on a stick.

Yes. As I sit here at work, dealing with coworkers and clients; as I continue the long painful slog through my brother's estate probate... THIS exactly.

We know what you're going through with the weather. It is nice to dream and plan those vacations. I was just walking the dog through the ice and snow while freezing. I was thinking "I'll never complain about the heat again." But of course, I will. We hope you are able to do many more cruises. Stay warm. We're almost through Jan. which is closer to spring!

What a wonderful way to keep you on track and keep you going. In the past I have always thought of cruising as a much needed break from work. Now I am seeing it as something else indeed. As I grow older and the my body is slowly falling apart it is much harder to make it through the long weeks of work, this unreal bad winter and keeping up with the usual maintenance on the house, a cruise in my near future is a wonderful carrot on a stick.

1. I long for days of doing nothing if that is what I want to do.

2. I long for days when for just a short time I can forget about the daily routine.

3. I long for mornings where I arise to the sound of room service bringing me my breakfast and enjoying it on the balcony.

4. You cannot beat, eating, sleeping and getting up and doing the same thing the next day

I have been back to reading the posts on CC and many of them sound very familiar. Some things don’t seem to change, but we as persons do change.

I am reminded of how cruising helped get DW and I through the fear and uncertainty of her breast cancer diagnosis. I remember the generosity of Hal and the way she was treated on the cruise before her surgery. That cruise will always be remembered.

It has been about a year and a half since I found out my diagnosis of Parkinson’s. I know that eventually there is a very good chance that the condition will rob me of mobility and independence. But right now I can still get around (albeit slowly) and I still have my independence. It is time to party, complete bucket lists and celebrate the blessing I have.

What a lovely, honest post. Thanks for sharing. I am always telling my husband (the penny-pincher) that we never know what tomorrow holds, so let's take advantage of today. Best of luck to you and your DW and happy cruising!

Thank you for your lovely post. In a world where danger lurks on the internet, your post is proof good honest people are also there. My mom died at 44, her mom at 36. So I cruise as often as I can. I am changing employers on Monday and have two cruises in 2 weeks they have agreed to honor. Let's hope they honor the ones already booked for 2015 :D

Yes, this is one of my carrots on a stick. Cruising in June is my second mini goal in dealing with chronic cancer. (My first is a trip to Indy for a small convention at the end of February and then the third one is another trip to Indy for Gen Con in August). I plan on setting many mini goals in my path to my major one of living to 50 (6 years from now). We're working on our bucket list and each trip we plan is a reason to keep looking forward and not focusing on what is killing me. :)

Great post Les. With that attitude you'll make the best of whatever Parkinson's throws in your path. Enjoy your cruise.

Even in retirement, sometimes life gets too overwhelming. Recently, I just threw caution to the winds, found a great price, booked a cruise and sailed 2 weeks later. The familiar motion of the ship, the routine of sleep, eat, read, relax, the therapy pool were exactly what I needed. I returned ready to take on anything the world threw at me.

Being told that you have a disease that is not curable and is progressive is not something to be taken lightly. My initial reaction was to drop into a deep dark depression. Something like being at your own funeral where the body is still warm. It has taken some time to get to this place. You first grieve then you take stock and value beyond comprehension all that your life is and try to understand what your life is all about.

This is something like an alcoholic taking an inventory of his life. You have no idea how much time you have, how fast the condition will progress or if you can handle the changes.

It may sound a little strange but this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I get frustrated by what I suddenly cannot do but value life in a new way.

If you are on the NA in March expect to see me on the dance floor. I took lessons to dance the father daughter dance in August at my DD wedding and have been taking lessons at the Fred Astaire with my wife since then. I seems to help my Parkinson's. I poop out quick but do it in a stylish manner:D

For all with some type of condition.... We are not dead yet, we can strive and adapt, but please excuse us as we try to pack in as much as possible in as short a time as we can. Something tells me that a sky diving is on tap for this summer and I have already booked two scuba dives on this trip so far.