typhoid/malaria vac. for Roatan/Belize?

crackupforlaughs

I'll post this in the Caribbean forum as well, but my doctor said I should consider getting both for these two ports? We're going snorkeling as part of the Princess West Bay (Tabyana Bch) excursion in Roatan, and Princess's Lamanai ruins excusion in Belize? These necessary? We have Hep A vacs.

The cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival) that I have been a pax and visited Belize and Roatan do not recommend the inoculations. I have been to both locations many times and have not had a problem nor have I heard of anyone with a problem. While it probably could not hurt, I really don't see it as a necessity at this time.

However in the past and maybe now, the blood banks will not take your blood if you have been to the Honduras (Roatan) anytime in the past year.

Neither medication is 100% effective. Malaria meds (different ones for different parts of the tropical world) must be taken for some days before possible exposure & several days after. I can't recall if typhoid is 1 or 2 shots.

It's been several years since I've been in Honduras, but these meds were not required then. You might want to check w/the tropical disease dept. at your nearest travel clinic/hospital and/or the CDC website.

Have fun on your cruise!

I would rather trust the CDC and their website states:

"There is no risk of yellow fever in Honduras. The government of Honduras requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. This does not include the US. "

Mike:)

Having served with the military in the Congo I had to take anti malarial drugs for 8 months. Drugs like Mefloquine do not prevent you from getting the disease but rather only limit the effects of it on you should you catch it. I was lucky and didn't get it but many folks that I served with did. I had to start taking the pills (one a week) 6 weeks prior to arriving in the country and stay on them for two weeks after arriving home. The big thing about these drugs is that they are hard on your liver and you should never be on them for more than a year. The Congo has 4 types of malaria and one of them is fatal. Having suffered the side effects that mefloquine causes I won't ever be taking it again. You also require a blood test prior to taking it because there is a small percentage of the population that it won't work on and other less effective drugs have to be taken daily.

I've been to Roatan a lot (we have property there) and we have lots of friends there as well- unless you plan on going to the mainland and trekking through the jungle, you really don't need to worry about these things. If Roatan were it's own country many of the travel warning about it would be vastly different- because it's part of Honduras it gets lumped in with mainland Honduras and the two are very different!

Just for a different perspective.. the four expats I know on the island have all had malaria. One of my friends says her watchman wife had been in the hospital for several days fighting malaria. Additionally Dengue is on the island. Several years ago a woman who lived in West Bay beach says the winter before you had Malaria and Dengue. A women who owns one of the small shops on West Bay beach had malaria two winters ago.

Don't let anyone convince you Malaria is not on the island of Roatan. Talk with your doctor, check out the CDC, get informed and make your own choice.

An alternative to malaria oral meds is using a bug repellent which works with your body chemistry.

I think I would be far more concerned about hepatitis than I would be yellow fever. Several years ago a friend of mine came back with Hepatitis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise and didn't get any bug bites other than one or two mosquito bites in Belize. No sand flies or fleas that we were aware of in West Bay/Tabyana Roatan. Nothing other than some sunburn where we missed putting sunscreen... oh, and two of our party getting Noro on the last couple days on the ship! Big bummer, but at least we got the ports in! (but also not sure if noro may have been gotten at port during a shore excursion as the timing would be right... but that is another thread entirely.)