Is Nassau really as much of a dangerous hole as I have been reading?

big bro

I have been to Nassau several times and have never felt unsafe there in fact our last cruise my late wife and I visited the house of parliament and as we were leaving we were approached by a gentleman thanking us for visiting and spoke with us for several minutes. When we got home I found out he was the prime minister. Try meeting your congressman here.

If you want a safe beach day, take a cab to the Sheraton or Wyndam hotels on Cable Beach. The water is clear and turquoise, flat no waves, the sand powdery white. You can rent jet skis, play on inflatables, get a drink at the pool bar. There are trees for filtered shade and no hassles. Look for me there in Feb and April...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nassau is just OK, nothing special.

We did a ship's excursion on a glass bottom tour boat, from which we viewed some interesting marine life. Following that, we shopped in that building near the pier, took a horse and buggy tour, than back to the ship. If we stop there again, I'll probably stay on board.

The traffic in St. Thomas is awful. Puerto Rico is just another city. Grand Cayman is just bank after bank. St. Lucia has 2 mountains. Curaçao is just a bunch of congested shops. Roatan is poor with one mile long beach. Cozumel is another big Caribbean city. Costa maya is very poor. Grand Turk was hit by a devastating hurricane ten years ago and has barely recovered....why do I even go to the Caribbean twice a year? I just want warm breezes, a pristine beach, and to relax! Each destination has pluses and minuses.

The traffic in St. Thomas is awful. Puerto Rico is just another city. Grand Cayman is just bank after bank. St. Lucia has 2 mountains. Curaçao is just a bunch of congested shops. Roatan is poor with one mile long beach. Cozumel is another big Caribbean city. Costa maya is very poor. Grand Turk was hit by a devastating hurricane ten years ago and has barely recovered....why do I even go to the Caribbean twice a year? I just want warm breezes, a pristine beach, and to relax! Each destination has pluses and minuses.

QUOTE:Puerto Rico is just another city

Oh my, you need to get off the beaten track. :)

Security Message: Spike in Crime in The Bahamas

January 28, 2014

The U.S. Embassy in Nassau advises U.S. citizens residing in and traveling to The

Bahamas to be aware of their surroundings and remain on heightened alert to avoid

being a victim of crime.

On the night of January 24, several assailants entered the home of a resident U.S.

citizen living in Freeport, Grand Bahama and brutally murdered him. During the

late afternoon of Saturday, January 25, two men robbed a U.S. citizen couple with

an assault rifle at Jaws Beach on New Providence Island (the island of the capital

Nassau). The victims were not injured, but were robbed of their vehicle and all of

their belongings. Earlier this month, an armed robbery occurred in the Harbour

Bay Shopping Center and a local restaurant was robbed by armed assailants at the

Caves Village Shopping Center. U.S. citizen residents and tourists frequent both

of these areas.

Armed robbery and violent crime remain major threats facing U.S. citizens in The

Bahamas, including in areas frequented by tourists on New Providence and Grand

Bahamas Islands. In the past eight months, a number of U.S. citizens have fallen

victim to armed robbery and two have been murdered. The Royal Bahamas Police

Force issued a message last year citing concerns about the increased number of

armed robberies in Nassau. Crime statistics for specific islands, as well as all of

The Bahamas, can be viewed at: http://royalbahamaspolice.org/Statistics/.

Security Message: Spike in Crime in The Bahamas

January 28, 2014

The U.S. Embassy in Nassau advises U.S. citizens residing in and traveling to The

Bahamas to be aware of their surroundings and remain on heightened alert to avoid

being a victim of crime.

On the night of January 24, several assailants entered the home of a resident U.S.

citizen living in Freeport, Grand Bahama and brutally murdered him. During the

late afternoon of Saturday, January 25, two men robbed a U.S. citizen couple with

an assault rifle at Jaws Beach on New Providence Island (the island of the capital

Nassau). The victims were not injured, but were robbed of their vehicle and all of

their belongings. Earlier this month, an armed robbery occurred in the Harbour

Bay Shopping Center and a local restaurant was robbed by armed assailants at the

Caves Village Shopping Center. U.S. citizen residents and tourists frequent both

of these areas.

Armed robbery and violent crime remain major threats facing U.S. citizens in The

Bahamas, including in areas frequented by tourists on New Providence and Grand

Bahamas Islands. In the past eight months, a number of U.S. citizens have fallen

victim to armed robbery and two have been murdered. The Royal Bahamas Police

Force issued a message last year citing concerns about the increased number of

armed robberies in Nassau. Crime statistics for specific islands, as well as all of

The Bahamas, can be viewed at: http://royalbahamaspolice.org/Statistics/.

I just know I would stay on the ship since this is dated Jan 28 2014...but that's just me

I walked to the zoo and the forts alone and never felt unsafe. There are police all over but they are not always friendly. I stopped one to ask for directions and he was a little less than friendly. The vendors are a little more aggressive than many other places. Reading some of these posts does make me a little more leery of walking around alone but I did have a nice time on my visit.

Edited by dacsmom

I just read their crime report from Jan 6 2014 - Jan 31 2014

37 firearms collected...

This does not include the 50 arrested for driving with suspicios intent during this same time period, nor does it include drug, robbery and murder reports.

If you do decide go on shore...PLEASE!!! be very very careful!

I just read their crime report from Jan 6 2014 - Jan 31 2014

37 firearms collected...

This does not include the 50 arrested for driving with suspicios intent during this same time period, nor does it include drug, robbery and murder reports.

If you do decide go on shore...PLEASE!!! be very very careful!

Appreciate the concern but ....

Sadly there is crime everywhere

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Hartford-Connecticut.html

Time to stop being dramatic IMO.

Appreciate the concern but ....

Sadly there is crime everywhere

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Hartford-Connecticut.html

Time to stop being dramatic IMO.

Well, not so much in my area as I am far from Hartford. However, I do stay away from the crime ridden areas as I am aware of how danerous it can be.

Am I missing something? Why the attack on posting about the dangers and warnings from/about Nassau? Honestly, someone needs to explain this to me...I really don't get it!

FYI...staying at a resort is safe...is that what I needed to add? I'm so confused..

Edited by 20pluscruises

Well, not so much in my area as I am far from Hartford. However, I do stay away from the crime ridden areas as I am aware of how danerous it can be.

Am I missing something? Why the attack on posting about the dangers and warnings from/about Nassau? Honestly, someone needs to explain this to me...I really don't get it!

FYI...staying at a resort is safe...is that what I needed to add? I'm so confused..

No attacking you, apologies if you took it that way. I will be in Nassau myself at the end of the month and we plan to walk around.

Whether it's the Islands, NYC, any major city in Europe we just take standard precautions whist traveling.

If it was not safe I seriously doubt RCCL would allow their passengers to disembark unless on a sponsored ship excursion.

As you can see from numerous posters they too have felt safe.

To each their own as the saying goes.

Happy Cruising....

Edited by SConnolly

No attacking you, apologies if you took it that way. I will be in Nassau myself at the end of the month and we plan to walk around.

Whether it's the Islands, NYC, any major city in Europe we just take standard precautions whist traveling.

If it was not safe I seriously doubt RCCL would allow their passengers to disembark unless on a sponsored ship excursion.

As you can see from numerous posters they too have felt safe.

To each their own as the saying goes.

Happy Cruising....

When other cruise lines are handing out seperate memos the night before they dock in Nassau...I tend to think there is good reason for the concern. IMHO

Is Nassau really as much of a dangerous hole as I have been reading about? We may just stay on the ship. Is there a gated compound for shopping at the port? Thanks!

No it is not. If you have been reading the rants of that cruise lawyer....he has a vendetta against the Bahamas because they foriegn flag ships.

Personally Nassau has not been my favorite port because I never found much to do there after the second visit. Last time though I discoverd Blue Lagoon. Beach paradise. Very safe there. I recommend it. And for those who still have any fears about Nassau you can do the cruise line excursion which picks up at the dock and brings you back to the dock so you don't even enter Nassau proper. Another option is Atlantis. Very safe at Atlantis too.

Edited by Charles4515

I have taken each of my daughters on a special mother/daughter cruise to celebrate their 13th birthdays--most recently in October with the youngest. Both cruises included a stop in Nassau. My older daughter and I enjoyed the Aquaventure excursion at Atlantis. My younger daughter and I had the time of our lives doing the dolphin swim at the Blue Island Lagoon. This is not to say that you should not be cautious and, by all means, use the cruise line for your excursions if you are particularly concerned about a certain port. I would have missed these experiences if I had stayed on ship, so glad we went.

How about just using simple common sense when walking around town? If you see someplace that doesn't attract tourists or any shady activities, stay away! Otherwise, stay on the ship if anyone has that much angst!

Nassau is a beautiful port to sail into -- but, that's about it for us. We always enjoy our "private yacht day" on whatever lovely ship brought us there. :cool:

Now that is a one way to look at it. We have been to Nassau quite a few times, and in the future will "enjoy our own private yacht day".

No poop smell. It is relatively clean. It is pretty much like most other ports.

Never ever go off by yourself anywhere. Never get in a cab alone. Stay around other people.

Never ever felt unsafe in nassau. Been many times by myself.

Just stay around others and don't get in a cab solo. Had troubles at other islands, but never here.

We did the same, and if was great, never felt unsafe.

#10 jitney to the Sheraton, was easy and a very nice beach.

My husband and I did the same on our trip last year. Had a wonderful time and found the locals to be very pleasant to deal with. The Jitney drivers were laid back, and our trip to the Sheraton was one of the highlights of our trip. Would do it again in a heartbeat.