What shape is the Norwegian Star in?

NYCcruiser65

Hi - first post on these boards, but have cruised about 5 times… 3 times on Norwegian ships (2x on Epic, 1x on Breakaway).

Now thinking about taking the Baltic cruise on the Norwegian Star and just a little worried because it is an older ship. Has anyone been on it recently that can tell me what kind of shape it's in? I've viewed some reviews and photos on here and the reviews seem a little mixed, but I love the ports that its going to so really want to take this trip.

Also, if anyone can explain what the spa is like on the Star I would appreciate it. So far it sounds like a lap pool and a hot tub. (The thermal spas on the Epic and Breakaway have spoiled me, so I'm worried this spa won't be as nice).

Anyway, any information about the Star is much appreciated. I hope to book the cruise soon. Thanks!

Hi - first post on these boards, but have cruised about 5 times… 3 times on Norwegian ships (2x on Epic, 1x on Breakaway).

Now thinking about taking the Baltic cruise on the Norwegian Star and just a little worried because it is an older ship. Has anyone been on it recently that can tell me what kind of shape it's in? I've viewed some reviews and photos on here and the reviews seem a little mixed, but I love the ports that its going to so really want to take this trip.

Also, if anyone can explain what the spa is like on the Star I would appreciate it. So far it sounds like a lap pool and a hot tub. (The thermal spas on the Epic and Breakaway have spoiled me, so I'm worried this spa won't be as nice).

Anyway, any information about the Star is much appreciated. I hope to book the cruise soon. Thanks!

We were on the Star Sept. 2012. At that time she was in pretty nice condition, I had no complaints at all. I cant comment on the Spa thought.

I got off Star a couple weeks ago, and she was in fine shape considering both her age and the amount of time that has passed since her last dry-docking. The mixed reviews are probably a result of the different expectations people have based on their previous cruising experiences. You need to remain realistic about what you'll find on an older ship that hasn't been in dry-dock for four years. A lot of the carpets, drapes, upholstery, decking, sub decking, etc. needs replacement and refreshing, but the crew has been so diligent about fixing problems as they occur that, unless you go over the ship specifically looking for faults, they're unlikely to negatively impact your experience aboard. Crew were constantly replacing, revarnishing, washing, painting, and cleaning. For what it's worth, I've sailed on brand new ships and 40 year old ships, and I thought Star was in considerably better shape than ships of similar age sailing for other lines mass market lines.

I had a two week spa pass and frequently used Star's spa facilities. If you go in expecting Epic and Breakaway's spas, then you're going to be severely disappointed. The prices for Star's spa are considerably lower for a reason. No massaging fountains, no hot tile loungers, no saunas with ocean views, no salt room, and no outdoor relaxation area. That being said, it still offers co-ed padded loungers, hot tub, and a lap pool. The small hydrotherapy pool is only about a third the size of those on Breakaway and Epic. There are also single sex steam rooms, saunas, and plunge baths. If you like to spend time in the sauna or steam while you cruise, then Star's spa will probably meet your needs for a reasonable price. Just don't expect to be impressed after experiencing several of the best spas at sea.

I got off Star a couple weeks ago, and she was in fine shape considering both her age and the amount of time that has passed since her last dry-docking. The mixed reviews are probably a result of the different expectations people have based on their previous cruising experiences. You need to remain realistic about what you'll find on an older ship that hasn't been in dry-dock for four years. A lot of the carpets, drapes, upholstery, decking, sub decking, etc. needs replacement and refreshing, but the crew has been so diligent about fixing problems as they occur that, unless you go over the ship specifically looking for faults, they're unlikely to negatively impact your experience aboard. Crew were constantly replacing, revarnishing, washing, painting, and cleaning. For what it's worth, I've sailed on brand new ships and 40 year old ships, and I thought Star was in considerably better shape than ships of similar age sailing for other lines mass market lines.

I had a two week spa pass and frequently used Star's spa facilities. If you go in expecting Epic and Breakaway's spas, then you're going to be severely disappointed. The prices for Star's spa are considerably lower for a reason. No massaging fountains, no hot tile loungers, no saunas with ocean views, no salt room, and no outdoor relaxation area. That being said, it still offers co-ed padded loungers, hot tub, and a lap pool. The small hydrotherapy pool is only about a third the size of those on Breakaway and Epic. There are also single sex steam rooms, saunas, and plunge baths. If you like to spend time in the sauna or steam while you cruise, then Star's spa will probably meet your needs for a reasonable price. Just don't expect to be impressed after experiencing several of the best spas at sea.

This description of the Star is spot on. We were on the Star in May of last year, on the cruise you are considering. The ship is very well maintained. We were in an aft penthouse suite. The furnishings were looking a little worn around the edges, but everything was in good working order. Agree that the crew is in a constant state of maintenance.

We didn't go to the spa. These not much time for that on the very port intensive Baltic itinerary.

NCL STAR - Cruise stats (CruiseDeck.com)

Built 2001 Years old 13 Passengers 2344- 2813

Cabins 1172 Space Ratio 33 Tons 91740

Speed 25.0 Length 971 Beam 105 Crew 1084

Refurbished: 2010

What more information or to see photos of the ship go to:

http://www.cruisedeck.com

Pay a small fee to use this service it is well worth it ***.

"Pictures say and explain a great deal" better than NCL's site.

Paying the fee gives you unlimited data of all cruise ships not just NCL !

[quote name=barnacle_boy;41518694.

I had a two week spa pass and frequently used Star's spa facilities. If you go in expecting Epic and Breakaway's spas' date=' then you're going to be severely disappointed. The prices for Star's spa are considerably lower for a reason. No massaging fountains, no hot tile loungers, no saunas with ocean views, no salt room, and no outdoor relaxation area. That being said, it still offers co-ed padded loungers, hot tub, and a lap pool. The small hydrotherapy pool is only about a third the size of those on Breakaway and Epic. There are also single sex steam rooms, saunas, and plunge baths. If you like to spend time in the sauna or steam while you cruise, then Star's spa will probably meet your needs for a reasonable price. Just don't expect to be impressed after experiencing several of the best spas at sea.[/quote]

What did you pay for a two week spa pass?

NCL does a good job of keeping their ships in excellent or close to it condition. I can not comment on the spa, but remember, we are talking about a ship that is 12 years old, and on the smaller side (which I love btw) to a new mega ship with bells and whistles. So, if you are talking, strictly condition you would be satisfied, if you are expecting an older version of the Epic you will not be happy.

Hi. The Baltic cruises are extremely port intensive. It is more about the ports than the ship. We were on the Spirit which is even older with a very busy Mediterranean cruise. We did not miss bells and whistles even with three sea days. But yes, the spa services will be different. Have a great cruise. Are you going this year?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Been on both the Star and the Breakaway. Can't comment on the Star's current condition but much prefer the smaller ship. Sure it may be lacking some of the current amenities but you're not jammed in with almost 5,000 passengers like on the Breakaway, particularly if you're indoors due to bad weather.

We paid $199 each in December for two week spa passes. We both thought it was worth it but haven't tried the thermal suite in any of the new ships.

Yes, $199 is the current price for the two week spa pass on Star. It costs half as much as Epic, Breakaway, and now Getaway (they charge $199 for just the week). The significantly lower price makes it somewhat easier to justify purchasing a pass for Star's smaller, limited facilities.

We spent 26 days on the Star this past October, including transatlantic crossing.

The ship was in great shape, so don't worry.

Can't answer spa question since I didn't use it.

We were on the Star, last September, on a Norway-Iceland itinerary. We thought the ship was quite well maintained. We didn't use the spa, so we can't comment upon it.

We, also, have been on the Baltic Sea itinerary, on the Sun. We found the ports to be very interesting. For us, it was certainly worth the trip.

As some have mentioned, the Star lacks the rock climbing walls and large water slides found on the "mega-ships". However. since the Baltic Sea voyage is port intensive, we didn't find much need for those features. We did the trip in March, so the ambient weather wasn't the best for those sorts of activities.

thanks for all of the feedback… it sounds like she is in good shape, so I'll stop worrying. I know she doesn't compare in many ways to the Epic and Breakaway, but I think it might be nice to be on a smaller ship.

Plan to go Sept. 2014. Need to book it!

If anyone else has feedback, please reply.

Thanks!

thanks for all of the feedback… it sounds like she is in good shape, so I'll stop worrying. I know she doesn't compare in many ways to the Epic and Breakaway, but I think it might be nice to be on a smaller ship.

Plan to go Sept. 2014. Need to book it!

If anyone else has feedback, please reply.

Thanks!

We have been on the Star twice. She is in ok shape. We like the size and the crew and officers. Sailing in a suite is the way to go on the Star - particularly if you have tender ports and want dinner reservations at 7:00pm. The family suites without a balcony are a bargain!

Edited by herdingdogmom

I was on the Star 3 times in 2013 and found it to be in perfectly fine order.

Then again I am not the type that pays a lot of attention to carpets or if there is a, Gasp!, spot of rust on an outside railing. I am always too busy enjoying myself to be overly concerned with stuff like that. They were constantly cleaning which is more important to me.

As far as the spa, sadly I can't comment as I was not allowed to enter since they were raging "monkeyphobics".

We have been on the Star twice. She is in ok shape. We like the size and the crew and officers. Sailing in a suite is the way to go on the Star - particularly if you have tender ports and want dinner reservations at 7:00pm. The family suites without a balcony are a bargain!

Does anyone know how the Aft-Balcony Suites compare to the other suites on the Star?

Are they as large and as nice?

They looked small in the photo.

Don

I just thought I would share my picture album with you of the Star. We were on her in Dec 2012.

PC190780-600x450.jpg

Thanks for this gallery… I'd actually seen most of it with you great detailed review! But it's good to see them all again.

Just curious for those that did the Baltic cruise… any recommendations on excursions… ship excursions vs. outside companies? Particularly in St. Petersburg?

Thanks!

I just thought I would share my picture album with you of the Star. We were on her in Dec 2012.

PC190780-600x450.jpg

Wonderful photos of the Star....the atrium looks so nice!!

Does anyone have any photos of the Star's Aft - Facing Suite?

It looked small in the NCL photos.

Don

Does anyone know how the Aft-Balcony Suites compare to the other suites on the Star?

Are they as large and as nice?

They looked small in the photo.

Don

I haven't sailed in an aft suite, but I'm pretty sure they have a "regular" bathroom with a tub under the shower. All the suites on deck 12 are newer and have fabulous bathrooms and are spacious, but just a few have balconies. The 2 bedroom family suites on deck 11 are also very nice as are the Garden Villas - of course.

Edited by herdingdogmom