Breakfast in Main Dining

Beaferd

Being a life-long Southerner, I've gotta say that some of you don't know grits.

Grits are a corn product and, as a couple people said, are cooked up into a hot cereal format. However, they are nothing like oatmeal or porridge -- except in that they are pale in color and are frequently served in a bowl. They bear no resemblance to Cream of Wheat. Do not judge grits by Quaker's instant packets, which is what most people eat. Grits are available in white or yellow, sometimes stone ground. Real, full-cook grits do have a "proper taste" by themselves; they do not simply take on the flavor of whatever's topping them. Traditional grits are lightly salted and buttered, but no Southerner would eat them "doctored up" as people do with oatmeal and other hot cereals.

I personally think they're best paired with Sunny-side up eggs and bacon on the side (not mixed in). Eat your bites with a bit of egg and a bit of grits together.

I have not found particularly good grits on any cruise line.

Shrimp and Grits is a traditional Charleston low country dinner meal -- very uptown. Grits made for dinner are traditionally thicker, often made with milk instead of water (or half milk and half water). Sometimes you see other grit-based dinner meals such as grits with Andouille sausage, usually paired with green peppers and other vegetables.

They are high in carbs, so most adults should eat them in moderation.

No it will get cold sitting in the kitchen waiting for the waiter to pick it up and bring it out to your table, or at least that seems to be the best explanation for the cold scoop or scrambled eggs that I have been served in the mdr and the dry, and cold English muffins and toast served by the assistant waiter. Hopefully, the wait staff will have replenished the butter container so you don't have to flag them down to get what you need. Lengthy waits to simply get a bowl of oatmeal is, IMO, inexcusable but is often the rule rather than the exception. Each cruise I try once again to give the MDR another chance to offer the fabulous breakfast experience that some claim to have found and each time I am sorely disappointed. In the WJ I can find exactly what I want, I can carry, not "lug", my plate and silverware to an unoccupied table or ask to join others at their table, and enjoy my breakfast. On Radiance class ships there is the added benefit of being able to dine al fresco in the rear section of the Windjammer Cafe. Wait staff also circulate and will bring you coffee, tea, and juices if you don't want to go to a beverage station to pick up your own.
Yes, your food will "wait" whether it's on the steam tables or under a steam tray that's brought to your table. Bacon-and-egg type breakfasts are best just-from-the-pan, and you're not going to get an ideal bacon-and-egg type breakfast at either of these locations. Edited by MrsPete

We usually split our breakfasts between the two. They're different experiences, and I'm glad we have the option of choice:

MDR:

- Opens later, so good for at-sea days

- It's a slower, more leisurely paced breakfast

- Arrive at door, wait to be seated

- Usually you're placed with a group of people, which means you need to be social early in the morning -- you can ask for a small table, but you'll wait for that too

- Order your food, wait

- Best choice if you want pancakes or French toast; eggs are moderate -- everything comes under a steamer tray, which is a hint that it isn't straight-from-the-pan fresh -- what it really means is they prepare everyone at your table's food, and then deliver it when the last plate is ready

- Can order Eggs Benedict, though don't expect it to be fast

- Offers chocolate breakfast once a week, which is fun but not a make-or-break

Windjammer:

- Abbreviated service (i.e, drinks and pastries) are available super early

- All food is available earlier than the MDR

- Walk straight in and pick up your food -- no waiting

- Wider selection of foods, including miso soup, which is a big favorite of ours; larger availability of fresh fruits

- Not the best choice for pancakes or French toast, which don't benefit from sitting

- You can order eggs (or omelets) to your specifications and watch them cook; this is the only way to get straight-to-you-fresh eggs

- You can get a small table to yourself

- It is not crowded, unless it's a port day and people are scurrying to get off the ship all at the same time

spot on with the eggs, omelets better in windjammer. MDR takes to long

As long as we do not have an early excursion we eat in the MDR for breakfast. You can dine with strangers and meet people from all over the world or eat by yourselves. The food is better, hotter and the waiters pay attention to your needs

I myself love grits with butter, salt, and a little bit of pepper. Sometimes will even throw in some shredded cheese! Great with bacon and eggs or sausage! I also agree that I'm not a big fan of instant grits--they tend to get pasty and have no flavor at all.

I also agree that grits have no resemblance to oatmeal whatsoever. Don't care much for oatmeal but love grits....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ah, so it looks and tastes like porridge? :confused: It also looks a bit like rice pudding methinks, but anyway it sounds really nice so I think I shall give it a go.

As a southern cruiser who loves grits, try "real" grits, not the instant. If you want something really delicious try shrimp and grits with a good tasso gravy.

DH loves grits which is one of the reasons (not the only one)we eat breakfast in the MDR since they're always on the menu. He eats his mixed up with his scrambled eggs. I'm not sure why.

I have a half of a pink grapefruit every day along with other "stuff". Love the MDR breakfast!!!

We enjoy breakfast in the dining room. If you want something not on the menu they will get it for you. I am a big chocolate milk drinker in the am, and it is not on the menu, but they always bring me one, and it is good. Also enjoy room service eating on the balcony. Bad thing is the limited options on the room service menu.

Just came back from the Oasis and had breakfast in the WJ, Johnny Rockets, and the MDR. WJ was usually crowded but had lots of food selections and I didn't feel bad about getting seconds. Johnny Rockets was not crowded and provided good food with fast service. The MDR was a bit of a wait to get our food and they messed up the order. I didn't feel comfortable with asking for a second helping of bacon or sausages.

I vote for the MDR but don't mind the Windjammer. But if your ship has a Park Cafe in the Solarium go there as they will have Bagels, Cream Cheese, Lox, Breakfast Sandwiches Pastries, Coffee, Tea Hot Chocolate etc.

The MDR has a quick buffet too but I opt for the "sit down" option its nice to be served on a cruise.

I vote for the MDR but don't mind the Windjammer. But if your ship has a Park Cafe in the Solarium go there as they will have Bagels, Cream Cheese, Lox, Breakfast Sandwiches Pastries, Coffee, Tea Hot Chocolate etc.

The MDR has a quick buffet too but I opt for the "sit down" option its nice to be served on a cruise.

That sounds great. Is there one on the Allure? Is there an additional charge for the Park Cafe?

Do they have lox in the MDR and WJ?

Edited by Dmgmd50

As a southern cruiser who loves grits, try "real" grits, not the instant. If you want something really delicious try shrimp and grits with a good tasso gravy.

That sounds nice, not quite sure about the gravy with it though. I'm just going to have to try these grits (fresh, not instant) with all the variations. New shipping line (for us), new meals, its exciting! :D

Edited by Essexlass2

Grits are a mass of carbs that taste like whatever you put on them. Eaten mostly in the Southern US. If you've not grown up with them you probably won't like them much.

Very true. I once was in New Orleans at a University for a few weeks taking a course. I went to the cafeteria and when I looked at the grits, I didn't know what it was so I asked. The ladies in behind the counter damn near fell over with disbelief. "You don't know what grits are?!". Funny. Come to find out later as I was wandering in a grocery store that the only potato in the place was in a box. So basically grits is the starchy carbs for areas like New Orleans where planting potatoes is not very successful due to the wet lands.

We enjoy breakfast in the dining room. If you want something not on the menu they will get it for you. I am a big chocolate milk drinker in the am, and it is not on the menu, but they always bring me one, and it is good. Also enjoy room service eating on the balcony. Bad thing is the limited options on the room service menu.

It it funny how adults sometimes are looked upon as strange if you order chocolate milk for breakfast? I am a big fan of great chocolate milk even at 64. Godiva milk chocolate is to die for. Hershey's is good but cn not compare to Godiva. If you are ever in south east Pennsylvania you must go to Hershey's Chocolate World.

We may need to try this a couple mornings. Our son has autism, while he is usually really good about handling lots of people sometimes (especially if hes hungry) he gets to his breaking point (and really don't we all get tot aht point some days when we're really hungry) so this may be a better quieter option for us! who knows with 3 teenaged boys we may be spending lots fo time in the buffets...lol

Very true. I once was in New Orleans at a University for a few weeks taking a course. I went to the cafeteria and when I looked at the grits, I didn't know what it was so I asked. The ladies in behind the counter damn near fell over with disbelief. "You don't know what grits are?!". Funny. Come to find out later as I was wandering in a grocery store that the only potato in the place was in a box. So basically grits is the starchy carbs for areas like New Orleans where planting potatoes is not very successful due to the wet lands.

That's interesting. We rarely think of things like that here in UK :)

We might be soon though! Look at what is going on down around the south west of the UK in weather terms!

I have had "grits" once. Love MDR breakfasts, but himself won't go! Buffet or no breakfast at all. That's what its like with him! :D