Solo traveling on the CB compared to my experience on RCCL

vmom

Greetings all,

Just to send out my feedback about my experience on the CB.

I sailed the CB out of Houston. I previously sailed as a solo passenger on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas in November.

On the CB a solo gathering was announced prior to dinnertime with the wine area being the gathering place. It was a non-hosted event. Basically a meeting time was printed up in the daily activity schedule as a place and time for solo travelers to meet, but that was it. Nothing else.

I compared this to the solo cruise I was on in November on the Serenade of the Seas. On the Serenade, every sea day lunch a solo travelers lunch was announced. There were at least 2 cruise members there who greeted us, made the introductions and made sure conversation was going. They ate lunch with us and helped everyone to get acquainted. I was very impressed.

The lunches were so much fun that each lunch kept getting more well attended as word was passed around. Having the cruise members there helped break the ice between all of us who had never met each other before and helped get the ball rolling.

I was very disappointed by the Princess version of a solo event, which was basically not a whole lot of effort other than to post a meeting time and place and nothing more.

Is this common for Princess ships or was this an odd one that the cruise staff on board this particular sailing didn't want to be bothered to make the effort.?

Honestly, Princess doesn't focus a lot on the solo traveler as I have noticed, where NCL and RCCL seem to make much more of an effort.

Some CDs do more than others, but I did notice a huge difference between the amount of Solo events on RCCL than on our prior Princess cruise (which had about 2)

Greetings all,

I sailed the CB out of Houston. I previously sailed as a solo passenger on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas in November.

On the CB a solo gathering was announced prior to dinnertime with the wine area being the gathering place. It was a non-hosted event. Basically a meeting time was printed up in the daily activity schedule as a place and time for solo travelers to meet, but that was it. Nothing else.

I compared this to the solo cruise I was on in November on the Serenade of the Seas. On the Serenade, every sea day lunch a solo travelers lunch was announced. There were at least 2 cruise members there who greeted us, made the introductions and made sure conversation was going. They ate lunch with us and helped everyone to get acquainted. I was very impressed.

The lunches were so much fun that each lunch kept getting more well attended as word was passed around. Having the cruise members there helped break the ice between all of us who had never met each other before and helped get the ball rolling.

I was very disappointed by the Princess version of a solo event, which was basically not a whole lot of effort other than to post a meeting time and place and nothing more.

Is this common for Princess ships or was this an odd one that the cruise staff on board this particular sailing didn't want to be bothered to make the effort.?

Honestly, Princess doesn't focus a lot on the solo traveler as I have noticed, where NCL and RCCL seem to make much more of an effort.

Some CDs do more than others, but I did notice a huge difference between the amount of Solo events on RCCL than on our prior Princess cruise (which had about 2)

Thanks for the feedback. That's sad that Princess doesn't focus too much on solo travelers, since there seem to more and more of us all the time. I had enjoyed cruising with my husband and now that he has passed away, I still want to cruise, but don't always have someone to cruise with me.

My solo cruise on the Serenade was fantastic, since through those solo luncheons I was able to meet a number of fellow solo travelers on the ship and we then got together multiple times through out the cruise together and even toured together. It really made a huge difference for me.

I have loved my Princess cruises, but if RCCL is going to offer more opportunities for solo travelers to meet, then I may have to give my preference to RCCL when traveling solo.

OP - I hope this thread is read and acted upon by Princess. Though not in your position, if I were, it sounds like RCCL would be the way to go. With ships as huge as they are these days and with more and more singles travelling, it would seem that more should be done to make cruising a wonderful experience for solos. May you enjoy many of them.

I agree. It depends on the CD. As a single in a cabin, I'm more aware of what's scheduled for solo travelers. Some CDs have get-togethers, lunches, tea time get-togethers, etc. for solos. Some don't. Princess leaves it up to the CD. As a solo, I rarely go to these as I find so much else to do that isn't targeted to singles or couples that I don't bother. I usually meet other solos through the roll call and by taking tours. I've meet many who are now very good friends this way.

I've cruised solo several times in the past but never found it difficult with meeting people. I generally always chose to sit at large tables for all my meals and before long there are loads of people who invited me to tag along regardless if they were single or couples. Because of my good experiences, I am more aware of those who are traveling alone and try to include them when we meet them.

I think its just more a matter of marketing. Different lines focus on different niche's and Princess has decided at least for now that its not a market they want to aggressively go after.

Thinking about it, I suspect, but I don't know that the amount of activities may also depend on the number of solo travelers on a given cruise and if the CD pays attention to that. Kind of the same as kids. When we did the Panama Canal, there were about 10-12 kids on board, total. And about 6 of them were toddlers. Needless to say, there wasn't much of a kids program in the patter.

I suspect they may do the same for solos. If there are more on a given ship, they will up the activity level accordingly. Of course 'more' means different things to different people. I'm curious, how many people came to the advertised lunch.

BTW, though I am not a fan of NCL in general, I would encourage you to look at their solo cabins if the itinerary works. I have heard good things.

Thanks for the feedback. That's sad that Princess doesn't focus too much on solo travelers, since there seem to more and more of us all the time. I had enjoyed cruising with my husband and now that he has passed away, I still want to cruise, but don't always have someone to cruise with me.

My solo cruise on the Serenade was fantastic, since through those solo luncheons I was able to meet a number of fellow solo travelers on the ship and we then got together multiple times through out the cruise together and even toured together. It really made a huge difference for me.

I have loved my Princess cruises, but if RCCL is going to offer more opportunities for solo travelers to meet, then I may have to give my preference to RCCL when traveling solo.

I mostly cruise solo and do not attend solo (sometimes, unfortunately, labeled singles) get togethers.

I would rather not limit myself on the people I talk and spend time with on the cruise. I go to the places and events on the ship that I want and I find people that I enjoy talking to there as well. Whether they are with other people or not on the ship is irrelevant to me.

Greetings all,

Not surprised at all, rccl is more fun.

Greetings all,

I did 3 back to backs on Ruby recently, Lee Childers was the CD.

On each cruise there was a singles meeting at 9pm one day ( when half the folk might be at dinner) at the back of the noisy Explorers Lounge which was quite full of other people and with a loud band playing so you could not talk.

Sam the female CD crewmember was present but within several minutes got up to dance to the band and was not seen again.

That was the total Princess effort for solo travellers who mostly pay double the cruise price.

Pathetic!

I mostly cruise solo and do not attend solo (sometimes, unfortunately, labeled singles) get togethers.

I would rather not limit myself on the people I talk and spend time with on the cruise. I go to the places and events on the ship that I want and I find people that I enjoy talking to there as well. Whether they are with other people or not on the ship is irrelevant to me.

I agree. I have been on about a half-dozen cruises alone.

Never a problem meeting people. I just booked a cruise

with folks I met on the last (single) cruise.

If I went to one of those events, and there was an attendant

to ask everyone -- so, where are you from; what's your favorite

part of the cruise so far, etc.

...I would feel like I was at day care.

I think its just more a matter of marketing. Different lines focus on different niche's and Princess has decided at least for now that its not a market they want to aggressively go after.

With the exception of the NCL ships that have single staterooms, I don't think any of the mainstream lines aggressively seek singles. But from what I'm hearing here, some lines are more proactive than others at providing a positive onboard experience.

With the exception of the NCL ships that have single staterooms' date=' I don't think any of the mainstream lines aggressively seek singles. But from what I'm hearing here, some lines are more proactive than others at providing a positive onboard experience.[/quote']The original Regal and Crown Princess had single cabins that were great. Quite large... almost as large as a regular cabin but with a single bed.

Anyway, I've cruised as a single on a lot of cruises on several lines and never felt the need to get together with other singles. I've met some great people with whom I've cruised again and again. IMHO, unless you're looking to hook up with someone on the ship, it's easy to meet other people and have a great cruise. I don't need a CD to make it happen.

The original Regal and Crown Princess had single cabins that were great. Quite large... almost as large as a regular cabin but with a single bed.

Anyway, I've cruised as a single on a lot of cruises on several lines and never felt the need to get together with other singles. I've met some great people with whom I've cruised again and again. IMHO, unless you're looking to hook up with someone on the ship, it's easy to meet other people and have a great cruise. I don't need a CD to make it happen.

Pam, you just said it all. No need for me to repeat it. Just saying ... what Pam says! I LOVE sailing solo! And, I love sailing solo on Princess.

Maureen

I also sometimes sail as a solo and have never gone to the single get togethers. I am usually pretty active on my roll call and meet people that way. Though I usually cruise on Princess I did sail solo on RCI once and prefer Princess, the main reason being if you go alone to dinner there is always a head waiter at the door of the anytime dining room asking if you would like to share a table. RCI doesn't do this and will seat you at a table by yourself. That was my experience on the NOS a few years ago.

I've sailed solo several times on Princess. You are correct. They don't do much for activities for single people. I'm OK with that. I've never gone to the single meet and greet on any of my cruises. Princess has always treated me respectfully and it's my cruise line of choice. I keep going back. I've met some great people at the roll calls. I'm really OK with my own company, though, and don't need to socialize to enjoy my cruise. That said, I've met several people who I keep in touch with and will likely cruise with in the future. There's always people to meet and I don't limit that to other solo travelers. The people I've had the most fun with were cruising with others. They are just great warmhearted people who were very welcoming.

Greetings all,

Just to add to this, I have sailed solo on Princess, Royal, Carnival and Celebrity. Princess usually has one early in the cruise singles mingle and that's it. On Carnival, Celebrity and especially Royal there has been NOTHING offered publicly for singles....not in the "patters" or whatever they are called and no specific ship board announcements inviting singles to singles events. Never have had a CD on Royal organize anything close to what you say you were offered. Not saying that it didn't happen, but that I have not had that experience.

I prefer to meet people doing traditional dining, playing Trivia (all teams are looking for someone to fill out a team....and once they find out you are pretty good at trivia, they start trying to recruit you to their teams!), and on tours.

I prefer to meet people doing traditional dining, playing Trivia (all teams are looking for someone to fill out a team....and once they find out you are pretty good at trivia, they start trying to recruit you to their teams!), and on tours.

Your approach will not work well on short cruises when a solo cruisers meeting the first evening can get people together for activities, card or board games,dining etc for the rest of the cruise.

Not, as PaminCa has said, just for a "hookup" which I find rather insulting given the connotations of that word.

On a 4 or 5 day cruise no-one has time to find out you are good at Trivia until the cruise is at least half over.

Edited by Griller

I've been sailing single for 30 yrs. and it is a personal preference. I've sailed the most with Princess and RCI and after my first few cruises never attended any single functions.

I've always had such great experiences with my traditional dining that I find people right away to meet for a drink before dinner, or other activities.